BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

UK's CAR Magazine M1- pics and article:

2009 BMW M1

Car Magazine's M1 prediction...yes, it's a photoshop.

To give the 1-series a badly needed image boost, BMW is reconsidering the M1. This project was originally scheduled to arrive at this year's Detroit Motor Show back in January.
Under Ulrich Bruhnke, who recently left the company, the M division had proposed four different M1 spin-offs: a coupe, a lightweight GTR, a cabriolet and the E82 M1 touring.
The latter model died altogether, the GTR was deemed too expensive despite its motorsport potential, and the fate of the drop-top was of course linked to that of the coupe.
Both have now been confirmed.

Since the 1-series will remain in production until 2011, it still makes commercial sense to launch the M1 late next year.
The most obvious powertrain choice is the 343bhp 3.2-litre six as fitted to the outgoing M3.
It's an expensive engine, and it needs work to trim its CO2 and fuel consumption, but it is the most likely motor, our sources say.
According to an internal document seen by CAR Online, the M1 would accelerate from 0-62mph in 5.2sec and would reach a top speed of 175mph if derestricted.

Next year, BMW will launch the regular two-door versions of the 1-series.

Aimed with high hopes at the North American market are the coupe and convertible which look a touch more elegant than the rather ungainly hatchbacks,
despite the same oversize headlamps, sagging fat-belly cutline along the door sills and that squashed tail end.

More intriguing than the design are the new engines earmarked for the entry-level BMs.
Economical and kind to the environment, BMW is readying three new 2.0-litre diesels rated at 143, 177 and 204bhp.
Also waiting in the wings are a direct-injection petrol 170bhp 2.0-litre four and a 272bhp 3.0-litre six.

Next in the evolution process is turbocharging for both units.
In addition to the soft-charge application as seen in the 306bhp 335i, work is in progress on a high-pressure cascade charge concept,
which should satisfy the most power-hungry customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Looks good for a photoshop!!

Does anybody know if bmw is going to show the 1 coupe this month, or are they just going to "formally" announce it? And if so where?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep

As usual this info adds more confusion to the speculation as to what engine choices we get because much or all of the article concerns what Europe will get rather than what comes to N/A.

Also-- these are bad photoshops...notice that they really botched up the rear...the trunk will extend farther and there will be an incorporated spoiler
along the trunk's edge.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

In addition to the soft-charge application as seen in the 306bhp 335i, work is in progress on a high-pressure cascade charge concept,
which should satisfy the most power-hungry customers.[/quote]
anyone know what cascade charge means? sequential perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
Yeah, I have, but I've heard it assoc. with turbine jet engines...tho I'm not sure exactly what it means.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

My post from 21/04.

One of the earliest strategies was when the V10 was being used to develop the new BMW M3 V8 engine that they considered using the V8 to develop the engine for the M1 Coupe. Unrealistically this would be a V6 but this was quickly dismissed as BMW does not pose a healthy attitude to V6 engines instead enjoying the smooth transition of power you can only get with six-cylinder power.
The new engine under development heralds from a new magnesium block evolved from the engine of the previous BMW M3 and the current BMW Z4M Coupe and Roadster.
As the engine does not incorporate areas of technology BMW are keen to utilise in their "Efficient Dynamics" programme. Basically it is technology that was not considered when that engine was first conceived in the mid nineties.
The Old engine effectively gets a rebuild to utilise modern energy management technology and achieve stringent emission targets.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
Propagator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT

I like that headlamps, bad chop or not. A little Lexusey, but I like them.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
I like that headlamps, bad chop or not. A little Lexusey, but I like them.

If you look closely at the headlights here...there's tape around the entire housing...they could turn out to resemble the CAR ps...so maybe they got that right.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Why not 3.0TT instead in M package? More torque, more modern engine with better fuel economy and emissions. Just chip it from the factory, 340/340
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
Why not 3.0TT instead in M package? More torque, more modern engine with better fuel economy and emissions. Just chip it from the factory, 340/340
That might be the route I'm going to take. I probably wont do the craziest chip package either. I'm happy with 400 ponies...:headbang:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post

If you look closely at the headlights here...there's tape around the entire housing...they could turn out to resemble the CAR ps...so maybe they got that right.
I really hope so. But I don't know. Haven't we been seeing basically the same headlamps as the hatch's on various spy pics so far? :frown:
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #12
larry lawless
excellence
Rep
Drives:

yeah looks really good for a ps, if the looks are tweaked just right for production it will be sick:headbang:
      05-04-2007, 07:03 AM   #13
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Those headlights would be really really nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #14
hector
Captain
Rep

Quote:
which should satisfy the most power-hungry customers.
anyone know what cascade charge means? sequential perhaps?[/quote]
researhed a little; i believe that the term cascade refers to the arrangement of the vanes in a variable nozzle turbocharger(VNT). i know, i'm talking to myself again.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
researhed a little; i believe that the term cascade refers to the arrangement of the vanes in a variable nozzle turbocharger(VNT). i know, i'm talking to myself again.
To me, beyond "cascade charge" is the fact that BMW is on the case looking to improve everything in their engines with 2 goals in mind; improved power that is feasible for long-term reliability applications and increased fuel-efficiency coupled with lower carbon emissions. This is very cool with me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #16
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So by "soft charge" do you think they mean light pressure turbo?

PS you may talk amongst yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
hector
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So by "soft charge" do you think they mean light pressure turbo?
it would seem so since it is contrasted in the sentence to a"high pressure" application. a high pressure N54 from the factory would be great particularly if they can engineer out excessive turbo-lag- maybe the cascade/vnt will accomplish that but i'm wondering how such an engine producing lets say 330-350hp and similar torque would be subordinated to the S54 derived M1 engine??
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
Propagator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
it would seem so since it is contrasted in the sentence to a"high pressure" application. a high pressure N54 from the factory would be great particularly if they can engineer out excessive turbo-lag- maybe the cascade/vnt will accomplish that but i'm wondering how such an engine producing lets say 330-350hp and similar torque would be subordinated to the S54 derived M1 engine??
But if that is the case then doesn't cascade charging sound more like the traditional sequential turbo? This would certainly take care of boost threshold issue, although as long as they use a big turbo (or two small ones for that matter) for high RPM, throttle resonse will never be instantaneous.

As far as I understand, VNT is the same as variable geometry turbo, in which case I don't think the price of such engine can come down to 3-series level anytime soon. The only petrol car that uses this is the 997 turbo. And if BMW does use this technology, it will be one of the most advanced engines that have, and will be very unlikely to be positioned below anything but the most outrageous NA engines.

I guess the confusion comes from the term cascade charging, which I've never heard of. Hector, do you have a link that connects this term to VNT?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #19
hector
Captain
Rep

Quote:
But if that is the case then doesn't cascade charging sound more like the traditional sequential turbo? This would certainly take care of boost threshold issue, although as long as they use a big turbo (or two small ones for that matter) for high RPM, throttle resonse will never be instantaneous.

As far as I understand, VNT is the same as variable geometry turbo, in which case I don't think the price of such engine can come down to 3-series level anytime soon. The only petrol car that uses this is the 997 turbo. And if BMW does use this technology, it will be one of the most advanced engines that have, and will be very unlikely to be positioned below anything but the most outrageous NA engines.

I guess the confusion comes from the term cascade charging, which I've never heard of. Hector, do you have a link that connects this term to VNT?
here they are, sorry don't know how to paste so i'll write them out;freepatentsonline.com/6134890.html and findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_mOFZX/is_10_69/ai_110471904
in both articles they use the term "cascade of vanes". not sure that this resolves the issue- i hear what your saying about the cost but i've only found the term cascade linked to vnt or variable geometry turbo and not to sequential. btw- found them googing: "cascade turbocharging". these 2 were on page 1, didn't go any further.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2007, 02:00 AM   #20
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

if they mean a tandem turbine-blade cascade then the turbo will have a second row of blades on either the stator or the rotor which has more blades than the first stage. this i am familiar with, however it also makes sense as a word those crazy euros would use to describe sequential turbochargers. either way sounds like they are developing a higher pressure turbocharged engine with a higher output than the 335i. if i hadnt heard what i have about the M1 supposedly getting the current m3 engine i would guess that is what its for.

them making a twin turbo top performer right now in the way of the 335 surprises me enough but them making a turbo M sounds like a stretch. especially if they are developing this car to appease BMW enthusiasts/purists (although i doubt they would go too far out of their way just for that). but if they were to do it, i would imagine they were testing some alternative technology that would make a turbocharger produce a smooth high-rpm-loving powerband that is the M soul and appeases the M1 project engineers.

as far as power plants go i think im still more interested in the 135. but the M is so much more.. haha, yar.
Appreciate 0