BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

BMW official confirms 1-series coming within two years, announcement before end 2007

From winding road - http://news.windingroad.com/body-sty...for-us-market/

BMW officials confirmed to WINDING ROAD at a corporate event this week that the BMW 1-series will come to our market, and sooner than we originally thought. While official company statements have said the 1-series will be here “within two years,” a source within the company said that’s an overstatement. On the contrary, the 1-series will be announced for our market before the end of 2007. It seems at the moment that the announcement will come this year and sales should start early in 2008.

Perhaps even bigger than this news is the fact that the 1-series will debut in our market with the company’s fabulous new twin-turbo, 3.0-liter inline-6. This is the engine found in the new BMW 335i coupe and convertible, featuring piezo direct injection and not a whiff of turbo lag. Also coming to our market will be the company’s newest naturally-aspirated 3.0-liter inline-6.

1-series cars in our market will be two-door versions only. It’s important that we stress the word “versions” when describing the 1-series in our market, as our source confirmed there are up to 15 different concepts in Munich under discussion. For the U.S. market, the company would like to get a quick read on the viability of the car’s acceptance and then deploy one or two more models based on the same idea. In other words, the 135i and 130i could launch in two-door hatchback forms and soon thereafter we’re likely to see a two-door convertible and two-door sedan with a proper trunk.

This is the point where you’re likely to say: “Okay, a small two-door BMW sedan with powerful engines. Do I smell a 2002 revival?”

Yes, you do.

But you’ll smell it in form, only, not in engine size. A four-cylinder BMW is not scheduled for our market until, according to our source, BMW “does a proper turbocharged four-cylinder engine.” Until that time, we’re likely to see 1-series models in our market with sixes only. Pricing for the car will have to fall smack dab between the 3-series and MINI. The pricing differential in the two six-cylinder engines described above is $5,000 dollars, so expect that same ratio for the 1-series models.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
bum944
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

FWIW, I recieved the latest AutoWeek in the mail today. They had the latest pictues of the new 3-door just like this site. Here's what they had to say:

"With the dollar struggling in the world currency markets, BMW is taking its time developing 1 series models for the U.S. market, hoping that a rebound in the strength of the dollar against the euro will ensure profitability once the car goes on sale here in 2008 at the earliest.

Planned U.S. models include a four-door sedan and a two-door convertible, with the possibility of the new three-door hatchback joining them in time, BMW sources tell AutoWeek."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

With all due respect to the commentators above, I think all that we know for sure is that we don't know what versions are coming here. BMW has been categorical that a hatchback will not come here, but there seem to be rumors to the contrary, with the release of the 3-door.

Harold, I would assume "two-door sedan" is thinly veiled code for coupe? So called insiders at NAIAS indicated a week or so ago that a coupe is unlikely to be produced.

BMW are doing a masterful job at ensuring that were are sufficiently befuddled. And this will raise anticipation to record levels in the lead-up to a NA announcement.

Good to hear that it will be sooner rather than later, though. But it will come is stages, no doubt. They'll either burst onto the scene with the big engines and the convertible, to situate the 1er as a truly upscale compact and then quietly release more affordable models. Or they will come in a little more subdued with a middle-of-the-road output 6-cyl and reasonable affordability, and then build up to a 135i M Sport with optional carbon brakes and launch control...:smile:
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #4
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
With all due respect to the commentators above, I think all that we know for sure is that we don't know what versions are coming here. BMW has been categorical that a hatchback will not come here, but there seem to be rumors to the contrary, with the release of the 3-door.

Harold, I would assume "two-door sedan" is thinly veiled code for coupe? So called insiders at NAIAS indicated a week or so ago that a coupe is unlikely to be produced.

BMW are doing a masterful job at ensuring that were are sufficiently befuddled. And this will raise anticipation to record levels in the lead-up to a NA announcement.

Good to hear that it will be sooner rather than later, though. But it will come is stages, no doubt. They'll either burst onto the scene with the big engines and the convertible, to situate the 1er as a truly upscale compact and then quietly release more affordable models. Or they will come in a little more subdued with a middle-of-the-road output 6-cyl and reasonable affordability, and then build up to a 135i M Sport with optional carbon brakes and launch control...:smile:
No kidding. BMW has done a rather interesting job with this car and it's development, that is for sure. But, BMW has always seemed like somewhat of a secret society to me, so I guess it doesnt suprise me....

Personally I would go to launch with the most powerful model possible (short of M status), so that the brand can get established in both buyers and the public as a real deal performance BMW. That way, when they introduce a smaller six (like a 125i) and/or possibly a turbo 4, those cars can enoy the performance image of the 135i at a more reasonable price. That is how I would do it at least. Really, though, I don't care how they do it, as long as those cars make it here.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Scott27:
"For your clue into how the Coupe and Cabrio will differ from the hatchbacks .
look at the head on shots where you can see that BMW have added a ledge underneath the lamps in the Coupe and Cabrio models."

The edge will follow through like the headlamps of the 3er Coupe and Cabrio and will curve upwards.
And the twin-grille will be less flat with a more pronounced shape recalling the design of the CS1 Concept.

Scott27 posts regularly on GCZ...his observations on future BMW models are often right on target.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Brookside
Major
Rep

Posted today 1/22/007 by Scott27

Attachment 774

"I have been informed that the "Websites" are proclaiming the 1er is coming to the states as a 3dr hatchback - It's not. The USA market cars will be a 2dr Coupe (or following 02 series description 2dr Sedan) and Cabrio.
The reason for why no hatch is because of financial stalemate between dollar and the euro - BMW are not risking the 1er in an untried and tested market where two other (european) rivals are shown to be struggling .
Such a car is essential to be more profitable for Europe but not the USA.
The 2dr and Cabrio are more suited for the USA marketi in terms of style and segment placement the entry BMW that will sit above MINI and still maintain and promote BMW's "premium" identity in the US. Although in Europe all 1er and 1er based cars will eventually get the 335i Twin-turbo engine but for now in Europe that engine remains firmly as the 3er's calling card.
Although the US market BMW 5er will receive the new engine . It is said that this engine will power the top end 2dr and Cabrio models in the US and eventually BMW will enter with M-badged premium performance models.

In the current generation a 1er 4dr sedan is not required but the next generation may bring a sedan as well as a SAV And more to be a reality a Roadster that will sit comfortably under the replacement for the Z4.

As for the name of the car not completely set in stone but the last meeting there was strong agreement to name the car as the 2er making it a successor to the classic 02 series. Reason being that the 2002 is a much loved classic to American BMW fans. marketing sees this car as a connection to the 02 which can be heavily promoted against the new car showcasing the Nostalgia and appeal to current 2002 owners.
Although a final decision has not been confirmed an answer should be known by the beginning of summer on which direction the project will take."

Scott's language is so formal- if I understand it right he is saying...
A coupe and cabrio will be released by BMW very likely designated as a "2" series.
N/A will not get the "1-er" 3-door hatchback.
The 1-2 series will expand to include variants such as a Z2 roadster (confirmed) and other derivations.
The 2-series will be priced between the Mini and the "3-er".
There will be an M version possibly with the twin-turbo 6cyl.
With that in mind there will be sylistic differences between the "1" and the "2" even tho both will share basically the same architecture beneath.
Also, as I've said in the past Scott27 can get some things mostly right and some things waaaay wrong.
His description of nomenclature..."2-series" coupe vs. "2-series" 2-door sedan that he uses is hard to figure-
is he saying that the "2-er" coupe will be 2+2 seating as in a sedan? It sounds that way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I certainly think calling it the 2 series makes sense in every way possible, but whatever its called is great. I do think that cgi rendering is perfect!! Wow short arches and headlight design really speaks the performance bmw language to me and I think it would be a complete winner, hope it comes out looking something like that!!
      01-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #8
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

I like what I hear from Scott27. What he is describing would, I think, satisfy our more-or-less collective preference for the roll-out of the 2er.:w00t:

My concern is that he is categorical and yet in conflict with rumors that have come from other sources that seem credible. While what he is saying makes intuitive sense (i.e., if I were BMW...), it would seem that knowledge of that level of detail would require a proverbial glass-to-the-boardroom-door.

Call me a skeptic, but I'll start to believe it when I see credible spy shots...:iono:
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep

I don't blame you Spud- we've heard so many conflicting stories it makes my head spin trying to keep up with the latest info.
I think you've hit it when you talk about what only seems to make sense...a 2-coupe... Period. Exclamation mark!
I think Scott27's onto something here...but again, he just might be blowing smoke. Whatever. I'm very hopeful tho.
Also- the cgi I posted is over two years old...and not generated out of BMW-
so it's pure speculation but I thought it dovetailed well with Scott27's description of the front-end. And it is very cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep

It is cool. Love those short overhangs...

Spy pics, please... We need some new material!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

All this is starting to drive me crazy ! Seriously, I want to invent time travel for the sole purpose of skipping a couple years (or year, whatever) in the future to see how this baby turns out.

However, there is some good news. I do recall hearing Eni over on GCZ saying that we should start to see much less disguised cabrios running around soon, so that is progress I guess. We should at least be able to get some better clues to the styling.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

I agree Tex...the timing for spypics and cgi's is here...especially for the 800-pound N/A market who doesn't get the 1-er 3-door hatch.
Appreciate 0