home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-06-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

couple of newb questions on tracking the m

I've never tracked any car, but about to sign up for a full day at Sonoma raceway that includes 1-1 coaching for the full day with my car. Couple of questions for those of you with tracking experience:

- they offer liability insurance for $110 and physical damage insurance for $510 . I was planning on the liability (not sure an extra $500 makes the day quite as appealing), is this route recommended?

- just got a new set of isweep street/sport brake pads from RGB Sports...but with only 6k miles on my factory pads, I'm more thinking to hold off on installing the new pads until after the track day as I'd rather burn up the existing pads rather than the rather expensive new ones. Any reason I should be thinking otherwise?

- thinking of buying a helmet, mostly just because it will encourage me to do future track days, but probably not until after the day unless I can expect the loaner helmets to be crappy. Thoughts?

Kind of dumb questions I know (other than the insurance one which is where I'd really like input), but would love to hear experiences and/or recommendations from those more experienced. The class is being put on by an organization called "Hooked on Driving" btw.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

Don't skimp on the insurance, your policy most likely excludes track activity.

Pads - I would think use the stock pads as long as you can. I haven't read people complain that the stock ones aren't good enough.

Helmets can be expensive... have you looked at them yet? Not an item you want to skimp on either.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Get the insurance, especially for Sonoma, which doesn't have a lot of runoff.

I've run the OEM pads for a few track days, and they actually held up pretty well with good heat management ie intermittent cool down laps. If you start experiencing fade, invest in track pads and brake fluid, which is IMHO just as if not more important.

Try on as many helmets as you can, rent for now, find one that fits and is comfortable for 30 minutes at a time. Buy a FIA approved NOMEX head sock if you continue to rent helmets. Reduces the "ik" factor.

Tracking is lots of fun and very rewarding! Join us in the TRACK FORUMS, there's lots of knowledgeable people there and it's all about helping each other out!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
      01-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

That's a hefty chunk of change for comp insurance. If you have the time you might check into track insurance from other companies. You might find a better deal. Google them.

Since this will be your first time on a track, the stock pads should hold up for the day. Believe me you will not be driving at warp speed on the first day. There is much to learn, and many new sensations to get used to that will limit your speed. Watch your rear pads, they wear much faster than the fronts. Since you are new at this have your instructor look at them and give you some instruction on this extremely important area of track driving.

On the subject of the helmet. HOD charges $20 for the day which is reasonable. They use the Bell Sport Mag which is a perfectly good and safe helmet. I would suggest that you do not buy a helmet of your own before your first time out for the following reason, and please do not take this personally. The reality is that the great majority of first timers will never return to a track for whatever their own reason may be. Of the people who do continue, the great majority will do so only a few times more, or occasionally thereafter. Then there is the small percentage who go on to become total hopeless junkies. My point is that helmets start at around $300 and go up to astronomically large numbers if that is what you just must have. Why not wait until you are sure that a helmet is something that you will actually use, and get your moneys worth out of.

I hope you have a great time.
      01-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #5
sleepy floyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1974 Ford Bronco, 2022 M4

Guys, thanks so much...really helpful input and I appreciate it. I'll definitely reconsider on the full track insurance and do some shopping around esp as Sonoma is so technical. I'll pass on the helmet for now and keep my stock brakes intact for the day. The real reason that I bought the new pads has more to do with the brake dust and even moreso that when I back down my steep driveway (esp during the current rainy season), the brakes squeak incredibly loudly and annoyingly to the point of embarrassment on what my neighbors think is my fancy new car lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
Guys, thanks so much...really helpful input and I appreciate it. I'll definitely reconsider on the full track insurance and do some shopping around esp as Sonoma is so technical. I'll pass on the helmet for now and keep my stock brakes intact for the day. The real reason that I bought the new pads has more to do with the brake dust and even moreso that when I back down my steep driveway (esp during the current rainy season), the brakes squeak incredibly loudly and annoyingly to the point of embarrassment on what my neighbors think is my fancy new car lol.
You're welcome! I think you will find the track rat community quite helpful for the most part. We are all out there with minimal support but ourselves and fellow drivers, so people tend to help each other out for the most part.

One thing about your pads, I would remove the brake duct shields in the wheel well. You can put them back in at the end of the day. It helps keeps temps down.

Brake dust, and pretty much most things cosmetic kind of go out the window when you start tracking. You go from someone who likes to look at their perfect flawless car parked and sitting pretty, so someone who just wants to squeeze the most potential out of their car. All 3 of my past track cars were far from perfect, off track moments will pepper your paint and rims, track pads will dust and most will be LOUD on the street. You will get tire globs, nicks, scratches etc on your car. You stop caring after a while.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
      01-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #7
cryan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Yeah one of the things I didn’t appreciate my first time out was how much tire rubber was going to end up on the front of my car. There are some products to help remove it, but it takes some time and effort.
Appreciate 1
SpinalTap109.50
      01-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #8
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

The best product on the market for this is Mothers R3 (Racing Rubber Remover). Just put a dab on the mark, but cover it thoroughly, and wait for about 5-6 seconds. It will then wipe away completely with no pressure. Mothers says there is no need to rinse as it will not harm paint or PPF, but I do so anyway (OCD). I also remove the marks just prior to the ritual after track cleansing.
      01-07-2023, 07:51 PM   #9
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Don't want to scare you, but Sonoma Raceway is not a very forgiving track. Out of the racetracks within driving distance of the bay (Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna, Buttonwillow, etc.), it has the most walls and the least runoff. This means there's a higher chance you end up destroying the car if you lose control. You have coaching, so I expect you'll be fine, but just make sure to take it easy! Better safe than sorry.

As for your questions, the car can more than handle your first few track days in stock form. If you get more into it, you'll probably want to get track-oriented pads and fluid eventually. I would rent a helmet the first couple of times. Get used to the proper fitment, make sure you enjoy the activity, and then buy your own later.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 02:30 PM   #10
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

I agree with the Summary:

- Don't get a helmet
- Don't change the pads for the first day
- I am on the fence about the insurance, it really adds to the cost of the day / weekend. I am
usually less worried about me crashing (don't push to hard, don't time yourself when your first
starting) than i am someone hitting me

HOD is a pretty safe well put together group. If you were going out with SpeedSF or one of those, i would recommend you pass altogether for your first time.

If you like the track day, i recommend coming out with the GGC of BMW club which will be at thunderhill in February. They run a great, very very safe group with an excellent beginner program. As people have said, Thunderhill is safer to push and learn limits at.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Re insurance, checkout Lockton: https://locktonmotorsports.com/
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Re insurance, checkout Lockton: https://locktonmotorsports.com/
Lockton wants $563 for what I think is one day of a two day event put on by FCA at WGI.

Is that pretty much the going rate these days?
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #13
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Lockton wants $563 for what I think is one day of a two day event put on by FCA at WGI.

Is that pretty much the going rate these days?
It seems from the quotes that I've gotten from them, that they quote for two days regardless... And yes, it's around $500 depending on amount, deductible, etc.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 12:03 PM   #14
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
It seems from the quotes that I've gotten from them, that they quote for two days regardless... And yes, it's around $500 depending on amount, deductible, etc.
Thanks!

It will be an expensive day, but one more iconic track off my bucket list.
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #15
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

It will be an expensive day, but one more iconic track off my bucket list.
That sounds about right. Which event are you going to?
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #16
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
That sounds about right. Which event are you going to?
I signed up for “Taste of the Track” which is a newbie introduction with PCA at WGI on 5/30.

It’s not a bad deal actually. And I need to get my hands in the game. It’s been a while since I’ve done four wheels on a track.

PS: I was going to do the FCA event earlier in May but the cost was more than $1000.
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 02:40 PM   #17
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I signed up for “Taste of the Track” which is a newbie introduction with PCA at WGI on 5/30.

It’s not a bad deal actually. And I need to get my hands in the game. It’s been a while since I’ve done four wheels on a track.
Nice. You will love it. The Glen is still my #1 track I've driven and I've driven most of the tracks on the east coast including VIR, Road Atlanta and even COTA. Great track for our cars.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2023, 12:52 AM   #18
goquali
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy floyd View Post
I've never tracked any car, but about to sign up for a full day at Sonoma raceway that includes 1-1 coaching for the full day with my car. Couple of questions for those of you with tracking experience:

- they offer liability insurance for $110 and physical damage insurance for $510 . I was planning on the liability (not sure an extra $500 makes the day quite as appealing), is this route recommended?

- just got a new set of isweep street/sport brake pads from RGB Sports...but with only 6k miles on my factory pads, I'm more thinking to hold off on installing the new pads until after the track day as I'd rather burn up the existing pads rather than the rather expensive new ones. Any reason I should be thinking otherwise?

- thinking of buying a helmet, mostly just because it will encourage me to do future track days, but probably not until after the day unless I can expect the loaner helmets to be crappy. Thoughts?

Kind of dumb questions I know (other than the insurance one which is where I'd really like input), but would love to hear experiences and/or recommendations from those more experienced. The class is being put on by an organization called "Hooked on Driving" btw.

Thanks!
How was the event? I am going to my first track event at Sonoma in a few weeks too!
Appreciate 0