BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Windscreen Washer Top Up

I topped up my windscreen washer bottle today it took about 2 litres, my issue is that it took about 10 minutes, surely that cannot be right. I could only put a 1/4 pint if that in at a time and had to wait for that to disappear then repeat this procedure many many times.

I would appreciate comments as my car goes into my dealer on Tuesday for another fault ( emergency phone not available) dealer suggests a Diagnostic Check, sods law as my G01 ran out of warrentee on 30th September and this fault started on 2nd Oct Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 03:15 AM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
I topped up my windscreen washer bottle today it took about 2 litres, my issue is that it took about 10 minutes, surely that cannot be right. I could only put a 1/4 pint if that in at a time and had to wait for that to disappear then repeat this procedure many many times.

I would appreciate comments as my car goes into my dealer on Tuesday for another fault ( emergency phone not available) dealer suggests a Diagnostic Check, sods law as my G01 ran out of warrentee on 30th September and this fault started on 2nd Oct Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I don’t recall it taking that long, but it does have a tendency to overflow if the fill flow isn’t steady. That’s using a funnel and made worse if the screen wash foams.
Appreciate 1
Admiral776.00
      10-27-2022, 03:53 AM   #3
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

I've topped up my windscreen washer fluid without problems, but I do remember seeing some other posts on here with the same issue that you're seeing. Maybe some air lock or something? Can't recall.

Regarding the emergency phone error, is the message something like "Emergency call system malfunction?" I had this happen on my G01 shortly after I bought it. If it's the same thing, it's due to a fault in the TCU telemetry unit under the shark fin. Water ingress causes an issue with the battery in the unit, resulting in the failure message.

This is a known issue. So if that is the cause of the error in your case, ask the dealer to fix and honour under warranty as a goodwill gesture - especially as your warranty expired less than a month ago.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreVauxhalls View Post
I've topped up my windscreen washer fluid without problems, but I do remember seeing some other posts on here with the same issue that you're seeing. Maybe some air lock or something? Can't recall.

Regarding the emergency phone error, is the message something like "Emergency call system malfunction?" I had this happen on my G01 shortly after I bought it. If it's the same thing, it's due to a fault in the TCU telemetry unit under the shark fin. Water ingress causes an issue with the battery in the unit, resulting in the failure message.

This is a known issue. So if that is the cause of the error in your case, ask the dealer to fix and honour under warranty as a goodwill gesture - especially as your warranty expired less than a month ago.
A couple of months ago my washers packed in, dealer found that the washer fluid that I was using blocked the pump, and as I was not using BMW washer fluid they charged me £60 plus VAT to clean the system out, I now use plain water, so will take this up with them on Tuesday, thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Poor design. The worst bit of the car ... takes forever ... this and the water dripping into the boot when you open it after rain ....

BUT .... these are the only two things I can fault on the car after 3.5 years
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
ANM8
ANM8
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d

I find if you park on SLIGHT slope facing upwards the screenwash goes in quicker and yes the Water pouring in the boot when opening is a pain in the a#se
Appreciate 1
Admiral776.00
      10-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
Poor design. The worst bit of the car ... takes forever ... this and the water dripping into the boot when you open it after rain ....

BUT .... these are the only two things I can fault on the car after 3.5 years
The tailgate dripping is a pita. Although reducing the opening heigh helped a little.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 03:39 AM   #8
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Its caused by the fill pipe from the fill tray to the reservoir having a low point along its length. It can be easily adjusted within about 10 minutes and will fill perfectly afterwards.
You just have to remove the side trim and adjust the pipe once you can see it
Appreciate 2
Admiral776.00
SO8242.50
      10-29-2022, 10:15 PM   #9
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
Its caused by the fill pipe from the fill tray to the reservoir having a low point along its length. It can be easily adjusted within about 10 minutes and will fill perfectly afterwards.
You just have to remove the side trim and adjust the pipe once you can see it
Are you saying such adjustments "could have" been made at the factory to avoid this dripping? Or, such adjustments come with usual wearing, from normal driving?
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2022, 02:35 AM   #10
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Are you saying such adjustments "could have" been made at the factory to avoid this dripping? Or, such adjustments come with usual wearing, from normal driving?
Yes mine came from the factory with the pipe drooping causing a low point. I adjusted it at least two years ago and it been fine since and fills straight away. The adjustment is only twisting the pipe fitting at one end which lifts the pipe up removing the trap.
Appreciate 2
Admiral776.00
dinan5m34367.00
      10-30-2022, 03:13 AM   #11
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Make sure to use a fluid that can withstand 0F (-18C).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 04:55 AM   #12
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbk View Post
Make sure to use a fluid that can withstand 0F (-18C).
Probably a bit extreme for most of the UK, unless you live on top of a mountain....

BMW's screenwash with anti-freeze claims it will protect down to -21C 1:1 with water of -55C neat.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 05:32 AM   #13
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Perfect. We had a "polar vortex" back in February 2021. The windshield washer fluid froze up in the tank and motor. Both had to be replaced.
Appreciate 0