BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

2019 X3 30d M-Sport Reliability?

I am currently looking at upgrading my 320d Msport 2014 with the X3 2019 Msport and would really appreciate some advice from existing and previous X3 owners.

I am looking at paying in the Uk around £33k for a X3 2019 30d Msport with about 32k miles on the clock from BMW.

How reliable do you think this car / engine is? I have heard bad things about the oil leakages but I don't know if this year model was affected by those issues.

I would really appreciate some advice / opinions on if this was a good year to get. Would you still recommend owning one of these in 2022 after your usage and experience?

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMA85BMW View Post
I am currently looking at upgrading my 320d Msport 2014 with the X3 2019 Msport and would really appreciate some advice from existing and previous X3 owners.

I am looking at paying in the Uk around £33k for a X3 2019 30d Msport with about 32k miles on the clock from BMW.

How reliable do you think this car / engine is? I have heard bad things about the oil leakages but I don't know if this year model was affected by those issues.

I would really appreciate some advice / opinions on if this was a good year to get. Would you still recommend owning one of these in 2022 after your usage and experience?

Many thanks!
Later cars have better tech, and or more power, but that’s just progress. Big steps are idrive 7 lite etc.

The engine is solid if properly maintained. The issue with all BMW’s is out of warranty repair costs. Get a comprehensive extended warranty if you can, which includes the tech.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Quote:

Many thanks!
Later cars have better tech, and or more power, but that’s just progress. Big steps are idrive 7 lite etc.

The engine is solid if properly maintained. The issue with all BMW’s is out of warranty repair costs. Get a comprehensive extended warranty if you can, which includes the tech.
Thanks! So what I gather from what you saying is that the engine is solid.. but the tech inside most likely goes wrong a lot?

Anything major you know about?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! So what I gather from what you saying is that the engine is solid.. but the tech inside most likely goes wrong a lot?

Anything major you know about?
Like most modern cars the sheer amount of electronics and tech is amazing, and as it gets older, it's an area more likely to fail in my experience. Nothing specific, and you may be lucky, but you may not, hence the extended warranty advice.

As an example, a replacement BMW LED headlight is hundreds new, and if it's laser tech, think thousands. It's designed for whole unit replacement rather than fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
bbb83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3 m40i

Don't buy the warranty, instead put money on the side and if you need to use it, use it. Dealers wouldn't be pushing warranties as hard as they are if they benefited us, the consumer. It's a massive markup item that they always come ahead on. Every time.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #6
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb83 View Post
Don't buy the warranty, instead put money on the side and if you need to use it, use it. Dealers wouldn't be pushing warranties as hard as they are if they benefited us, the consumer. It's a massive markup item that they always come ahead on. Every time.
Thanks. I wasn't planning on getting extended warranty I totally agree with you. Also they also make you get it serviced by BMW to honour the extended warranty which costs far more than any garage! I guess you can argue BMW would service it better.. but would they really.. not sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #7
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Has anyone owned an X3 30d or 20d Msport that can comment what the car is like? Anyone that had it a long time and still love it?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Has anyone owned an X3 30d or 20d Msport that can comment what the car is like? Anyone that had it a long time and still love it?
Before my last two M40d (back to beginning 2018, only had this one a month) I had a 35d. Before that I had a 30d from 2011-2014. I loved it so much it made me get the 35d for the paddle shifters. The 30d itself was a GREAT engine, most definitely on the 2019 a better 30d than I had.

Is all I can say :-)

Check the warranty cost though just for piece of mind and make your best call on it.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #9
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Actually - if it's from BMW consider they should give you a year's warranty and the service should be up to date as part of the bargain. So factor all that shit in (you will most probably need only one service if that over the 1st year etc..)
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have an M40d and it’s great. Great engine, performance, and relaxing to drive very swiftly lol.

You can self insure for out or warranty parts, and also buy used. Here’s a headlight used unit that will save you money compared to BMW new
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a M40d and it’s great. Great engine, performance, and relaxing to drive very swiftly lol

You can self insure for out or warranty parts, and also buy used. Here’s a headlight used unit that will save you money compared to BMW new
Ha ha thanks. You keep on about the LED headlight. Are they quite prone to fail then? I guess it's just luck of the draw like most things. But I guess all cars now are LED really…
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha thanks. You keep on about the LED headlight. Are they quite prone to fail then? I guess it's just luck of the draw like most things. But I guess all cars now are LED really…
There’s a member on here who took out an extend warranty just before his car needed £2k plus headlights replaced. Stuck in my mind.

One problem I had in the past was the communications fin on the roof failed due to water ingress. Just a small part but BMW quoted £1300 to supply and fit, but that was a while ago.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2022, 03:51 AM   #13
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
There’s a member on here who took out an extend warranty just before his car needed £2k plus headlights replaced. Stuck in my mind.

One problem I had in the past was the communications fin on the roof failed due to water ingress. Just a small part but BMW quoted £1300 to supply and fit, but that was a while ago.
This might be me you're referring to!

I have a four year old 30d M Sport (bought it used, two years ago) and I actually had both of the issues described above. Just a few months after purchase, I had a "communications error" (can't remember the exact wording) flash up a couple of times. After bringing it in to my dealer, they informed me the problem was with the comms module under the shark fin - from memory it was a bad battery, or the battery was water damaged. They replaced that under my pre-owned warranty. So that was fine.

When that pre-owned warranty expired, I took out the BMW extended warranty just for peace of mind. Glad I did!

Earlier this summer I parked in front of a reflective store front and noticed that the outside DRL/halo on the driver's side was dimmer than the other three. Brought it into my BMW dealer - they acknowledged that, and replaced the entire headlamp unit under warranty.

Mine are the adaptive LED headlights which swivel and have the auto high beam features, etc. The dealer said the cost of the unit and fitting would have been an eye-watering £2300 had I not had the warranty!

So yeah - I plan on keeping the warranty going until I move on to the next one! Other than those issue, I love this car - the tech inside is FAB, and the engine is great, super smooth and powerful. I'm definitely a BMW convert after owning this car.
Appreciate 2
avi662791.00
DonSylver214.50
      10-26-2022, 04:04 AM   #14
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I have a 30d from late 2018. Amazing car. 100% reliable. No issues whatsoever. Pure power, reliable, smooth and super efficient. I am averaging at 7.3l/100km with alot of city driving. I am still loving this car and the engine. The torque is amazing and great fun to drive. More fun than the 535i loaner I had last week.
I can highly recommend it!
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2022, 01:43 PM   #15
Regisss
Latvia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 30d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I have X3 30d m-sport for more than 2.5 years... I have 2020 model (1st registration january 2020). Now 45k km on clock. Very good car, no issues yet. I have warranty till January of 2025.
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #16
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreVauxhalls View Post
Quote:
There's a member on here who took out an extend warranty just before his car needed £2k plus headlights replaced. Stuck in my mind.

This might be me you're referring to!

I have a four year old 30d M Sport (bought it used, two years ago) and I actually had both of the issues described above. Just a few months after purchase, I had a "communications error" (can't remember the exact wording) flash up a couple of times. After bringing it in to my dealer, they informed me the problem was with the comms module under the shark fin - from memory it was a bad battery, or the battery was water damaged. They replaced that under my pre-owned warranty. So that was fine.

When that pre-owned warranty expired, I took out the BMW extended warranty just for peace of mind. Glad I did!

Earlier this summer I parked in front of a reflective store front and noticed that the outside DRL/halo on the driver's side was dimmer than the other three. Brought it into my BMW dealer - they acknowledged that, and replaced the entire headlamp unit under warranty.

Mine are the adaptive LED headlights which swivel and have the auto high beam features, etc. The dealer said the cost of the unit and fitting would have been an eye-watering £2300 had I not had the warranty!

So yeah - I plan on keeping the warranty going until I move on to the next one! Other than those issue, I love this car - the tech inside is FAB, and the engine is great, super smooth and powerful. I'm definitely a BMW convert after owning this car.
I noticed you are in the UK as well.
How much are BMW charging you for the extended warranty? Do they let you pay monthly?
I tried asking for sales guy and got a load of waffle they give me a price when the pre sales warranty expires.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 03:21 AM   #17
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How much are BMW charging you for the extended warranty? Do they let you pay monthly?
I tried asking for sales guy and got a load of waffle they give me a price when the pre sales warranty expires.
So when the insurance that came with the car was about to expire, BMW contacted me to ask if I wanted to renew. There are different levels that they offer, but I went with their BMW Comprehensive insurance with a £250 excess.

I pay for that monthly at £40 per month, but you do get the option to pay it all off as a lump sum up front - and it's obv a bit cheaper that way.

I have a mate who was bitten badly when he bought a 3 Series a few years back. He didn't have a warranty and while the car was nice he had a couple of big repair costs which really took the shine off for him and mullered his bank account When I told him I was getting the X3, the told me if there's one thing he'd recommend, it's a warranty. So I did lol.

It's always a gamble, though. Some people will pay for it and never have the need to use it. I guess it depends on how risk averse (and lucky) you are!
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2022, 04:03 AM   #18
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I guess it depends on how risk averse (and lucky) you are!
And how deep your pockets are if self insuring……
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 04:11 AM   #19
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So when the insurance that came with the car was about to expire, BMW contacted me to ask if I wanted to renew. There are different levels that they offer, but I went with their BMW Comprehensive insurance with a £250 excess.

I pay for that monthly at £40 per month, but you do get the option to pay it all off as a lump sum up front - and it's obv a bit cheaper that way.

I have a mate who was bitten badly when he bought a 3 Series a few years back. He didn't have a warranty and while the car was nice he had a couple of big repair costs which really took the shine off for him and mullered his bank account When I told him I was getting the X3, the told me if there's one thing he'd recommend, it's a warranty. So I did lol.

It's always a gamble, though. Some people will pay for it and never have the need to use it. I guess it depends on how risk averse (and lucky) you are!
Ah yea awesome thanks. I did a online quote last night and you are right around £40 a month for £259 excess is about right. I love how they call it 'insurance'. I wonder if you claim they increase it next year!

I also noticed that BMW state warranty is only valid if service is done by an approved BMW garage or dealer. They want about £500 deposit for this, and then £25 a month.

So with warranty + service plan, I need to be adding around £65 per month to whatever loan repayments I need to make on finance of the car.

While I'd like an X3. Feels like it might be a huge money pit for me… 😀
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2022, 04:41 AM   #20
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ah yea awesome thanks. I did a online quote last night and you are right around £40 a month for £259 excess is about right. I love how they call it 'insurance'. I wonder if you claim they increase it next year!

I also noticed that BMW state warranty is only valid if service is done by an approved BMW garage or dealer. They want about £500 deposit for this, and then £25 a month.

So with warranty + service plan, I need to be adding around £65 per month to whatever loan repayments I need to make on finance of the car.

While I'd like an X3. Feels like it might be a huge money pit for me… ��
Ha! I hear ya. Although, any car of this class can turn into a money pit to be fair.

When purchasing, I did consider the service plan, but ultimately decided against it as I wanted to avoid paying for both. Instead, I have a dedicated "car servicing" savings account through the Chip app which deposits money into my savings account automatically depending on my spending. (You link it to your current account, and it rounds up purchases, and puts the extra into your savings. There are many other similar apps available!).

When the car needs servicing, etc. I pay for it through that. Works for me!
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2022, 04:41 AM   #21
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not the cheapest of car to run, although oil/major service costs are not that different to run of the mill brands over the same period.

Tyres are expensive £250-£440 a corner depending on size and brand, and personally, i wouldn’t go budget brand on this type of car.

Bottom line, if you’re looking for low cost motoring, BMW or similar premium masques ain’t it, particularly as they age.
Appreciate 2
      10-27-2022, 04:47 AM   #22
JRMA85BMW
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not the cheapest of car to run, although oil/major service costs are not that different to run of the mill brands over the same period.

Tyres are expensive £250-£440 a corner depending on size and brand, and personally, i wouldn't go budget brand on this type of car.

Bottom line, if you're looking for low cost motoring, BMW or similar premium masques ain't it.
Ha! Yea I saw that the other day! £250+ for a tyre!

I have a MSport 320d right now and just had all 4 new tyres. They were not far off that to be fair, about £200 a tyre for me but they are PS5 ones.

Thanks for the all help and comments guys! I am still going to test drive an X3 this week and then decide after if I really really want one lol 😂
Appreciate 0