BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2022, 09:30 PM   #1
80_Mark
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Oil Consumption 2021 m40i

Out with the family today and iDrive tells me that my 2021 m40i needs 2 liter of oil ASAP. The car never had an issue for the first 10k miles and it's at 16k now so I was surprised that it could burn that much oil in 6k miles. Also pissed it didn't give me a warning earlier, before it hit the minimum oil level.

I pulled over serendipitously by an AutoZone so topped it off and went on my way but should I be concerned. I followed the break in instruction closely and though this is leased, I planned to do a buy out given the nutty car market.

My driving is heavily urban for short trips which is reflected by my roughly 18 mpg. We also take road trips every few months so I would say half the mileage are direct 500 highway mile drives to Maine. Any insight would be helpful and I'll be on the phone with the dealer service folks tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Sounds a bit excessive to come out of the blue. I would ask the dealer to perform a compression test and inspection just to make sure everything is ok.

It's not uncommon for the b58 to need a quart here and there but it's not super common either.

Hopefully, you get some peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
80_Mark97.00