F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Shop doing insurance fraud - need opinions
proTUNING Freaks

05-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Shop doing insurance fraud - need opinions

Hey guys. About 3 years ago my car was backed into on the front which resulted in my AC condenser getting bent and my bumper being a bit damaged. I was able to have Geico approve my car going to a very very well known shop out in Nassau County New York.

They did all of the work and he was able to get a new bumper installed and have both fenders in the hood painted as well so the entire nose matches. Supposedly in addition to the other work that was supposed to be done.

When I picked up the car it looked pristine. He said that he was also able to get new headlights for the car for the invoice that was sent to GEICO which has a lot of things there which I'll upload later for you guys to see.

During that time I was under my dad's insurance but the car and insurance was fully under my name. About a year ago I ended up leaving my dad's plan with Geico to getting my own plan with Geico in New Jersey, previously I was in New York.

I was having some air conditioning problems on my car and I had a funny feeling that something wasn't right with the condenser so I told the shop to take a look at it and they did tell me that it was the original condenser with a lot of damage on the bottom with fins missing.

About a few months before the air conditioning issue I did notice that the clear coat on the passenger side headlight was starting to bubble and then ended up bubbling in two places. This do some concern to me so I ended up looking at the paperwork which I miraculously found and it said that the headlights were indeed supposed to be replaced but when I looked at another sheet it said that the headlights were clear coated. So it looks like he charged my insurance the $3,000 or so for the new headlights and whatever amount it was for labor and parts for the condenser and pocketed that.

For the headlights I did notice that the passenger side light with the bubbling is the factory headlight that was made in 2012 and the driver side headlight is maybe 2 years after that and I do recall that the previous owner didn't go to the dealership for some headlight malfunction and they replaced the headlight

Now this shop has been highly referred by many people they work on high-end cars they're well known in the community and this is just absolutely disgusting

What I wanted to ask you guys is should I contact Geico even though I'm not under that specific insurance plan and tell them about what's going on to see if they can go after the shop? This would be for reimbursement or for at least those parts to be bought with documentation so I have what's supposed to be on my car?
Attached Images

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC

Last edited by Solidjake; 05-31-2022 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'm sure Geico would have appreciated the heads up, three years ago, but it's much too late now.
Appreciate 2
Solidjake947.00
j2dad5389372.00
      05-31-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I suspect that Billfitz is correct, but I would still contact GEICO with all the information. It may not benefit you, but it may trigger them to look at that shop for possible insurance fraud.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 08:54 PM   #4
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Unless that shop was a Geico program shop they can't and won't do anything especially 3 years later. I'm curious how your ac worked when you picked up the car if they never replaced the condenser?
      05-31-2022, 09:01 PM   #5
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

If I'm that shop, I would say anything to blame you if this ever came up. Feel free to tell Geico and maybe they will appreciate it but I'm not sure what exactly they will do anymore.

Obviously it sounds like you got screwed but there is no way in heck to prove the shop did any of this 3 years later.
Appreciate 0