E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth/Phone Cradle Question/Problem...

07-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Jerel56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Question Bluetooth/Phone Cradle Question/Problem...

I was wondering if anyone who has a phone cradle installed has experienced problems with thier phone.

I purchased a Motorolla V710 a few months ago and it's worked perfectly fine with my car. A few weeks ago, I finally installed the phone cradle and have been using it with no problems until yesterday when I noticed my phone died and wouldn't accept a charge from my home charger. I can't even turn the phone on, however, it still works in the cradle! I do still get the "unable to charge" indicator when it's in the cradle but, it seems to work fine. I believe the power from the car may have fried my phones battery and somehow screwed up the charging mechanism. :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any idea what may have caused it. I'm going to contact the dealer today to see what they say but, I'm worried this may be something that BMW didn't consider.

Thanks for any info anyone can give...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #2
michael_perks
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW320i(E90) Excl

Hi Jerel, I had a Nokia 6310i cradle installed in my e90 3 weeks ago, I used the cradle for the first week without worries, but about 4 days ago when I took a really long drive with my phone in the cradle I realised that my phone was almost boiling hot when I took it out. So I can agree that it is definitely the cradle that damaged your phones charging mechanism. I only put my phone in the cradle now if it needs charging and I am driving a relatively short distance. This is a pity because the reception you get from the external antenna when the phone is in the cradle is a lot better than when you just keep the phone in your pocket or briefcase.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Jerel56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the feedback Michael. I took my phone into Verizon yesterday and they're getting me a new one. The guy said that it appeared the charging contacts were messed up somehow. I've also scheduled an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday to see if they can do anything. It's really too bad as I like the concept (I already have cords for the MP3 player and didn't want to hassel with the phone charger cord) and, as you said, the reception does appear to be better but, I have also noticed the heat when removing my phone.

No one explained anything to me when I had it installed so, I'm hoping there's something I'm doing wrong.....although, it really appears pretty simple. Does your phone snap in real firm so that you need to push the button to release it? I thought maybe I was pushing it in too hard or something.

I'll let you know what the dealer says..

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
E90 Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Sorry to hear about your problems with the cradle.

This is a huge disappointment for me, if this problem you're having is indeed universal to the other supported phone models as well. I have a Motorola V600, and was really looking forward to having a place to tuck away my phone while in the car, and to receiving a boosted signal as well. Keep us informed as to what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The same cradles have been in use in the E60 5Series for a longtime, and therer have been no real complaints from them, so lets hope its just a problem with a few cars
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
bookman2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SP, PP

I'm also interested in the cradle option when my car arrives, but the one thing that gave me pause, even before I found this thread, was the issue of over charging my phone. The part about the cradle continually charging the phone is what worried me. If my phone already has a full charge, leaving it in the cradle during a long drive seems like a bad idea. It will be good to get clarification on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #7
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman2
I'm also interested in the cradle option when my car arrives, but the one thing that gave me pause, even before I found this thread, was the issue of over charging my phone. The part about the cradle continually charging the phone is what worried me. If my phone already has a full charge, leaving it in the cradle during a long drive seems like a bad idea. It will be good to get clarification on this.
I over charge my cell phone all the time. I use it at home as an alarm clock so its constantly in the charger at night even after it is fully charged. After about 18-24 months I have to spend another $20 for a new battery. Not that a big a deal considering the phone cradle itself is $130.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Jerel56
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Well, I took my car into the dealer today to have the cradle checked out (also told them to turn DRL on and download any software updates while they're at it). I took the car in at 7:00 am and just got word that they will not be able finish all the downloads today. My service rep left me a message stating that the phone cradle had a software issue and they had to calll BMW tech support to figure it out. Anyway, he told me that it downloads in real time and, since it's a new car, they're making sure everything is being checked over and done correctly.....translation...."these guys are still getting to know the E90".

I would think BMW would have a better communication system out to the front lines but, I'm happy they're taking the time to do it correctly. I'll let everyone know the full scope when I pick it up tomorrow. It appears it may be a specific glitch in the software in my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
I went and bought the eject box/V600 adapter from the E90 Accessory catalog...and the eject box does not appear to be correct. :mad: It doesn't seem to attach to the inside of the console at all...has anybody else installed it themselves? I did a full BT retrofit on my X5 myself, so I have some experience here...also, where did BMW hide the FAKRA connectors inside the console? In the X/E39, they're right inside the armrest in plain view after removing the cover.
Thanks!!
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0