BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F10 -> FF -> F90. It's Good to Be Back!

01-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2019 M5 Comp

F10 -> FF -> F90. It's Good to Be Back!

Two years ago I sold my F10 M5, which I miss terribly. I moved on to a Ferrari FF which gave me 20 months of some of the coolest experiences I've ever had! And all the ownership anxieties that come with it lol. But now I'm back and in an F90! Here's to a couple more years of ///My soul therapy!
Attached Images

01-29-2021, 11:17 PM   #2
platinum903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, G05 X5

Congrats!

I went F10 to X5M to F90.

Definitely glad to be back in a M5 although there is a part of me that misses the F10. It felt more torquey. Maybe it was the DCT over the ZF. Don't get me wrong, love the F90 but the F10 was a lot of fun.

Last edited by platinum903; 01-29-2021 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

congrats
I went from F10 M5 to E63S AMG to F90 M5
my friend had an FF and drove and rode in the car on few occasions , and every time it had some kind of fault light on .... That will drive me crazy ...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Would you mind sharing some about what you mean about ownership headaches? Was it mainly servicing and racking up mileage on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #5
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2019 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
Would you mind sharing some about what you mean about ownership headaches? Was it mainly servicing and racking up mileage on it?
It was a leap outside my comfort zone, for sure. But routine maintenance wasn't a big deal at all. Especially if you can find a reliable independent, it's no sweat. You really don't have to worry about a lot of that stuff until you get into the higher mileages above 50k where stuff gets expensive depending on the car.

I was not comfortable self-insuring on the car so I was paying for a warranty ($6,500 per YEAR). The FF has some known things that *can* happen, and a couple of them would shatter your kid's college fund. So the warranty protected me from that, although it is a fairly limited warranty.

The car never left me stranded, and over 20 months of ownership it was only in the shop a handful of times. There are other owners that certainly have had endless issues, I'm sure that's true of any brand although a little more so for the exotics. I'm fortunate to have not run in to anything devastating.

With a bit of a mind of their own, the electronics were...testy. If your battery was in even slightly poor health, the car will do weird stuff. Plus little things here and there, like how my passenger seat heater liked to turn itself on randomly. Or how one start out of 20 and the A/C would only blow out the top or bottom of the dash, not the center. Or, sometimes the back hatch wouldn't open and you have to lock and unlock the car three times to get it going again.

I was once told by a dealer in a joking way "you bought an engine and got a car". Lol, truer words never spoken.

But the anxieties are real. Knowing that the car could suffer something that could leave you stranded, or get a gremlin you can't shake, or some random dumbass check engine light that might result in a month in the shop because the part has to come from Italy--that's the anxiety lol.

It's funny because I can only really describe the mix of emotion by saying "Man, I am so happy that car is gone. I can't wait to get another one" lol

I put 15,000 miles on the car while I had it, which is murder to the value on the F cars, but the FFs out there tend to have higher mileage because of how friendly of a daily driver they are. But in the end the overall cost of ownership, including depreciation, was a lot less than if I had bought a brand new F90 and kept it for two years.

I regret nothing and I plan to be in a V12 GTC4Lusso sometime next year when they're in the $160's.