BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Elon Musk teases Tesla’s Autopilot

Yeah, I know this is a BMW forum but Tesla will lead the way with vehicle autonomy that other mfg's will copy to some extent. Here is his latest.. ..

http://usatoday.va.newsmemory.com/?publink=203229807
Appreciate 1
Paladin15640.00
      09-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Noneya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC, '14 X1 35i M sport

Garage List
2021 X5MC  [0.00]
This belongs in off-topic, not X5/X6.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneya View Post
In fairness it belongs in the Tesla forum
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
I watched the live stream. They are pacing well with software and battery development. IMO battery technology will define EV race. Quality control is another story.

I would like to see an X5 EV with good electric range - keep all the features and just replace the ICE (potential recipe for sales success).

Model Y is too minimalist, iNext is too futuristic, Model X is too expensive.
      09-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
X5/X6 competes with Model X and Y. I don't know about others, but I am comparing those in this segment.
      09-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Tesla's Autopilot and BMW's - sort of - "self-driving" have been discussed quite a bit here, appropriately. Tesla's is the acknowledged benchmark, others are catching up. Not a Tesla fan, for many other reasons, but a force in the market that will drive other technologies, including BMW's, and they certainly share concepts. You go Marty.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      09-24-2020, 09:50 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I'm interested in Tesla, particularly the model Y. However I challenge the statement that Tesla are leading the way. What exactly can a Tesla do that an 'unlocked' G05 cannot?

BMW has hands off driving up to 40mph, Tesla does not
BMW has Traffic Light Assistant on production models- Tesla has it in beta but not released
BMW has auto speed limit adjust - Tesla doesn't as best I can tell. You have to press the big centre screen to acknowledge the speed
BMW has HUD - Tesla does not, and boy does it need it
BMW has anti-dazzle lasers - Tesla does not
BMW has emergency lane formation, Tesla does not
BMW and Tesla both have auto-lane change, and exit assistant

The only autonomous driving feature that Tesla has that BMW does not is summon, and that looks like a gimmick at this stage.

Happy to be corrected, proven wrong. Like I said I'm considering a model Y, but in the UK at least, it doesn't seem to stack up against my G05 on the autonomous driving front.
Appreciate 5
      09-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

I have owned a Tesla Model S and driven the auto pilot as recently as 2018. It was fairly good on the highways back then, but that is about all I would use it for. Maintain the lane and distance from other cars in front.

My 2021 X5 xDrive45e does basically the same thing that the Tesla Model S was doing back in 2018. Lane assist and distance control with radar all around showing you the other vehicles.

Tesla is definitely the leader in the automated driving field. Some of the videos Tesla has released of their engineers testing autopilot software will blow your mind. They have really advanced software that has not yet been released into the public yet. It probably still has hiccups, but having seen the engineer testing videos, it is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I'm interested in Tesla, particularly the model Y. However I challenge the statement that Tesla are leading the way. What exactly can a Tesla do that an 'unlocked' G05 cannot?

BMW has Traffic Light Assistant on production models- Tesla has it in beta but not released
BMW has auto speed limit adjust - Tesla doesn't as best I can tell. You have to press the big centre screen to acknowledge the speed

The only autonomous driving feature that Tesla has that BMW does not is summon, and that looks like a gimmick at this stage.

Happy to be corrected, proven wrong. Like I said I'm considering a model Y, but in the UK at least, it doesn't seem to stack up against my G05 on the autonomous driving front.
My thought is if you are looking for vehicle based on Auto driving then about 10yrs will be the sweet spot for that. If you looking for a great electric check these out https://www.lucidmotors.com/ if you want a drivers vehicle BMW all the way.

On your note I watched in a Target parking lot a Tesla summon hit 4 shopping carts. It had no idea they where there and it does not follow flow in a parking lot that thing when cross three parking sections. lol it was a great watch. The owner just sat there and watched it all happen got in and left. LOL
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post

Tesla is definitely the leader in the automated driving field. Some of the videos Tesla has released of their engineers testing autopilot software will blow your mind. They have really advanced software that has not yet been released into the public yet. It probably still has hiccups, but having seen the engineer testing videos, it is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
That's the thing about Tesla. Musk is happy to show off what it's going to do, to get the share price up, but in reality what can they do now within the current regulations?

I restate my question. What can a Tesla do with L2 autonomous driving that an unlocked BMW G05/G07, G20 etc cannot?
Appreciate 1
W0ut243.50
      09-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #11
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
On your note I watched in a Target parking lot a Tesla summon hit 4 shopping carts. It had no idea they where there and it does not follow flow in a parking lot that thing when cross three parking sections. lol it was a great watch. The owner just sat there and watched it all happen got in and left. LOL
LOL. I think they must have based the AI on my missus parking.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      09-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Happy to be corrected, proven wrong. Like I said I'm considering a model Y.
You wrote these as if you were reading my mind! You are extremely well versed Sir!

To add to your list:

No wireless ACP and AA.
Seats are not as good as comfort seats.
Lack of essential tactile physical buttons and stalks.
No programable shortcut keys.
No coding option?
Fit and finish - interior of 3 and Y doesn't compare well with X5.
Upright high stance of X5 and ground clearance.

Couldn't agree more with your HUD comments.

I am also not sold on the whole glass roof structural integrity aspect.
      09-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Quote:
X5/X6 competes with Model X and Y. I don't know about others, but I am comparing those in this segment.
The x5/x6 don't compete with the model Y in any capacity. X3/x4 sure, but not the x5 or x6. That's insulting to those two cars.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18201.00
      09-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

Tesla’s don’t have HUDs? That’s outrageous with their screen setups.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #15
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Quote:

Happy to be corrected, proven wrong. Like I said I'm considering a model Y.
You wrote these as if you were reading my mind! You are extremely well versed Sir!

To add to your list:

No wireless ACP and AA.
No coding option?

I've owned the model 3 prior to the x6. I can tell you that Tesla's autopilot is much much more capable, accurate and safe than BMW's version. You'll never have autopilot jump out of a lane. Autopilot automatically slows down according to the curvature of the road. BMW will launch you into the next lane and possibly off the road (happened to me many times).

I would blindly trust autopilot and close my eyes while the car goes 88mph on the freeway. Never would I do that with BMW.

Autonomy isn't the focus for many manufacturers right now and until they put their resources there, they'll never catch up to Tesla's autopilot.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18201.00
      09-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
I've owned the model 3 prior to the x6. I can tell you that Tesla's autopilot is much much more capable, accurate and safe than BMW's version. You'll never have autopilot jump out of a lane. Autopilot automatically slows down according to the curvature of the road. BMW will launch you into the next lane and possibly off the road (happened to me many times).

I would blindly trust autopilot and close my eyes while the car goes 88mph on the freeway. Never would I do that with BMW.

Autonomy isn't the focus for many manufacturers right now and until they put their resources there, they'll never catch up to Tesla's autopilot.
My G05 doesn't behave like that. It will drive for hours without any human interaction other than the occasional auto lane change when on highways. It doesn't leave the lane unprompted, ever, except when someone tries to side-swipe then it will react.

It slows down for bends using probable path bending algorithms, and will slow for exits, junctions, Give Way, Stop signs, and roundabouts. It stops for Red Traffic Lights.

What i-step are you on? I did experience issues with earlier i-step (03/19 and 07/19) where it would leave the lane unexpectedly, and wouldn't slow for all bends, but that hasn't been an issue for months now.

With the latest istep my kids could safely drive it on highways/motorways. I have thousands of motorway miles on the clock without any human intervention required.

It will even pull across the lanes to the side of the road and call emergency services if the driver camera detects I'm unresponsive.

I'm going to have to test the Model Y when available here in the UK, and give it a proper fair comparison.

Last edited by ifr; 09-24-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      09-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #17
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

To add to your list:

No wireless ACP and AA.
No coding option?

The coding restriction is an interesting one.

If you could code the Tesla and unlock all the features available to it that are available world-wide, then it would be a different proposition. I've watched many YT videos by owners in the UK and they all constantly reference features that we don't get, but are available in the US. That must be frustrating.

I do like the idea of not having to visit the service station other than for rare exceptionally long journeys. The power on-tap is another massive plus, love that feeling.

I do my own i-step updates, but I'd still prefer to have updates delivered by the vendor in a frequent but proven safe manner, like Tesla does.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The x5/x6 don't compete with the model Y in any capacity. X3/x4 sure, but not the x5 or x6. That's insulting to those two cars.
Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, I am comparing these and preferring X5.
      09-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
My impression is that Tesla's business model is to have all features available in all cars, unlock-able through (paid-for) coding. I'm sure any number of hackers are looking to overcome, but being able to code features in a Tesla I'm sure is not a daydream of Elon Musk....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

Don't forget about Backup Assistant!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:

Don't forget about Backup Assistant!
Good point! I use it daily too.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101169.00
      09-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #22
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Yeah, I know this is a BMW forum but Tesla will lead the way with vehicle autonomy that other mfg's will copy to some extent. Here is his latest.. ..

http://usatoday.va.newsmemory.com/?publink=203229807
he's making noise because yesterday Tesla's Entire network went down for hours, leaving drivers/customers/sales stranded. took down their stock price by 10%.

having said that, I fully believe we wouldn't have much driver assistance tech if ICE manufacturers werent being pressured by Tesla. They definitely are the market leader on this stuff because they're basically a software company that bolts on tires to their product.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18201.00
volodp199.50