BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

X5 45e Strange External Noise

Hi folks. My Jan 2020 build 45e has a strange noise audible outside the car regardless of whether running on ICE or electric power.
It is not the 'E noise' and it is not turbo noise.

It sounds like a rotating mass of some sort, and the best description I can give is that is is comparable to the noise of an electric tram, but a lot less loud.

Car has been with Dealer, who saw there was a revised Part available and duly replaced Driveshaft seals. This has made no difference.

Can any other 45e owners on here try to replicate? I hear it most when driving at approx 50km/h with window open, and beside a building or wall that reflects sound back...
      09-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artc View Post
Hi folks. My Jan 2020 build 45e has a strange noise audible outside the car regardless of whether running on ICE or electric power.
It is not the 'E noise' and it is not turbo noise.

It sounds like a rotating mass of some sort, and the best description I can give is that is is comparable to the noise of an electric tram, but a lot less loud.

Car has been with Dealer, who saw there was a revised Part available and duly replaced Driveshaft seals. This has made no difference.

Can any other 45e owners on here try to replicate? I hear it most when driving at approx 50km/h with window open, and beside a building or wall that reflects sound back...
From my experience the last days I have been driving with open window a couple of times. I hear the buzzing pedestrian protection until 35 km/h and then it is silent.

A part of my commute is close to a wall I will give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Might be helpful if you recorded the sound.
Appreciate 1
Artc5.00
      09-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Might be helpful if you recorded the sound.
I'll try, but I imagine the phone mic will mostly pick up wind noise.... Let's see.
      09-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I just drove home with my window open and airconditioning and radio off.

From 0-35 I hear the electronic sound of the pedestrian protection and the noise of the tires

From 35 - 60 wind noise is more pronounced and tires noise too

When I drive along a wall > 35 km/h the sound is different but I think it is the sound of the tires echoing on the wall. I don't hear the sound you are describing. But it is definitely different when driving along a wall, don't other non electric cars have the same?

Windows closed and ac on I don't hear any strange sounds but I have acoustic glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I just drove home with my window open and airconditioning and radio off.

From 0-35 I hear the electronic sound of the pedestrian protection and the noise of the tires

From 35 - 60 wind noise is more pronounced and tires noise too

When I drive along a wall > 35 km/h the sound is different but I think it is the sound of the tires echoing on the wall. I don't hear the sound you are describing. But it is definitely different when driving along a wall, don't other non electric cars have the same?

Windows closed and ac on I don't hear any strange sounds but I have acoustic glass.
Thanks for trying this out. Sounds like you have no strange noises to report.

I'll try to record the sound from my car and share.