BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

Dealer not upgrading software for Android Auto

I had given my car for its first service and i told the dealer that I also want to upgrade the software to 2020/07.25 so that I can get Android Auto but they are saying BMW does not allow them to upgrade the software. They only seem to do it when there is a known issue that the software upgrade fixes. One feature that the car is supposed to have is Remote Upgrades but that does not work - the car keeps searching tor update and since they can't address that issue, I thought they will do the upgrade themselves.

Any ideas on how I can get it done? I am in USA.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

That’s your dealer. Your “issue” is I don’t have Android Auto. These dealers don’t want to be bothered and are stuck in antiquated thinking. I would call BMW and express why they won’t update your iDrive for features that are available. From many of the forum post, there are many urban dealers that need reeled in by corporate BMW in customer service etiquette.
Appreciate 1
nvsocr755.00
      09-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

The dealer does not have to upgrade to the latest software unless there is a known warranty issue that would be fixed. They can also get the approval from the regional engineer to perform the upgrade. In those two instances they are paid from BMW to perform the update. Some dealers will perform update as a good will gesture. Mine told me they would the last time I was in but the regional engineer approved it.

An OTA upgrade supporting AA should be available in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjunction View Post
I had given my car for its first service and i told the dealer that I also want to upgrade the software to 2020/07.25 so that I can get Android Auto but they are saying BMW does not allow them to upgrade the software. They only seem to do it when there is a known issue that the software upgrade fixes. One feature that the car is supposed to have is Remote Upgrades but that does not work - the car keeps searching tor update and since they can't address that issue, I thought they will do the upgrade themselves.

The reason they won't update the software is that they don't get reimbursed for the time/labor unless there is an issue that's covered under the warranty period. Therefore, I would just take the following SIB, print it out and hand it to them stating that your are having this problem. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75285-9999.pdf.

I filed a complaint with the BBB for this very reason. Promised Over The Air (OTA) updates that have yet to happen for a number of people. Unfortunately, I had to use the SIBs, which were present in my vehicle, to get the updates. When I bought my car I was on 11/2019.51. I've had two updates since then from the dealer and none from OTA. I had to tell them that I had the problem in order to get the updates. My dealer does a good job of taking care of this for me when I request updates. They always tell me they have to document an issue first. But they already know how to word it so they get reimbursed.

Sad, but this seems to be the only way to force the dealers to perform the update if they're not willing to do so otherwise.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18198.00
      09-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

The reason they won't update the software is that they don't get reimbursed for the time/labor unless there is an issue that's covered under the warranty period. Therefore, I would just take the following SIB, print it out and hand it to them stating that your are having this problem. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...75285-9999.pdf.

I filed a complaint with the BBB for this very reason. Promised Over The Air (OTA) updates that have yet to happen for a number of people. Unfortunately, I had to use the SIBs, which were present in my vehicle, to get the updates. When I bought my car I was on 11/2019.51. I've had two updates since then from the dealer and none from OTA. I had to tell them that I had the problem in order to get the updates. My dealer does a good job of taking care of this for me when I request updates. They always tell me they have to document an issue first. But they already know how to word it so they get reimbursed.

Sad, but this seems to be the only way to force the dealers to perform the update if they're not willing to do so otherwise.
^
"They always tell me they have to document an issue first. But they already know how to word it so they get reimbursed."

Exactly how my dealer did it. "We have to be creative about this". I can understand it because it takes them 2-3 hours to do the update.
      09-19-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
I brought mine in to have the drivers side actuator check on exhaust, as I am unable to get it to open under any driving conditions. While there, asked to have Android Auto update installed. SA was unsure if they could do it. My sales person, a former Genius, took care of it. They had to keep the car a couple day and work with BMW but it was done. No issues. I also have the traffic cam app and it is active.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Go to an M dealership if you can. My experience has been night and day better. I won't ever go back to the dealer I Originally leased from because of their bullshit and pretty much lack of doing anything other than bare minimum. Meanwhile the m dealer handled all my problems and then some and even asked if I wanted to instal the update while they replaced the ac. They also gave me an x7 loaner instead of
The barebone x3; I have a nearly fully loaded m50i with "vip service" which is garbage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
Go to an M dealership if you can. My experience has been night and day better. I won't ever go back to the dealer I Originally leased from because of their bullshit and pretty much lack of doing anything other than bare minimum. Meanwhile the m dealer handled all my problems and then some and even asked if I wanted to instal the update while they replaced the ac. They also gave me an x7 loaner instead of
The barebone x3; I have a nearly fully loaded m50i with "vip service" which is garbage.
What is the difference between an M dealer and non-M dealer? What would cause the service to be better at one vs. the other?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
Quote:
What is the difference between an M dealer and non-M dealer? What would cause the service to be better at one vs. the other?
It's supposed to be a step up from your regular dealer. Like earning a gold star if you will. Better showroom. More volume. Better service. Supposedly because they're geared to sell M versions and higher priced cars, not your generic x3/3series which is the typical bread and butter. There was a post detailing the difference but I can't find it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
Quote:
It's supposed to be a step up from your regular dealer. Like earning a gold star if you will. Better showroom. More volume. Better service. Supposedly because they're geared to sell M versions and higher priced cars, not your generic x3/3series which is the typical bread and butter. There was a post detailing the difference but I can't find it anymore.
Interesting, between the two dealers near me the lower volume, more remote dealer appears to be an M dealer, while the higher volume and larger dealer that carries more M models (two X5M and an M8 on the showroom floor) is a non-M dealer. These designations at least according to their websites.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
I had given my car for its first service and i told the dealer that I also want to upgrade the software to 2020/07.25 so that I can get Android Auto but they are saying BMW does not allow them to upgrade the software.
It's not that BMW doesn't allow them to update the software it's because, as others have said, BMWNA won't reimburse the dealership for the labor (it's a multi-hour process and can require an overnight and rental). If you bring the car in for another fault that requires updating the software to fix, then the dealership will do it, or if that particular dealership is willing to fudge the paperwork. The SIB trick can work too as it gives the dealership the documentation they need to get reimbursed.

Some dealerships will also do it if YOU reimburse them for their time - mitch57 makes a good point about BMW promising but not delivering on OTA updates

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

I've only had my dealer do an upgrade once without it being in for normal service but they have no issues doing it for me.

When I take the X3 in I ask them to review for software update and so far they have updated it during oil change no charge. My current X5 updates its self now, but my 2019 they did it for me no charge and had it for 2hrs. My SA told me to always ask for a check during any service and they will take care of it. He also told me if the X5 ever has issues with remote update for some reason to bring it in they will manually do it. My guess, dealer issues....
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:

Same issue here with my m340, SA insisted the 2020/3 was latest update.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
dbjunction
Private
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S P90D,BMW X5 M50i

I will talk to them tomorrow and ask them to either "fix" the remote update that gets stuck on searching OR do it manually.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
My guess, dealer issues....
Or maybe BMWNA might soon have issues with your dealer?
Appreciate 1
Tenac4584.50
      09-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Or maybe BMWNA might soon have issues with your dealer?
This could be true for sure!!! lol
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18198.00
      09-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
JAM10238
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7

Tell them you are getting bluetooth audio dropouts...that was a known issue on the November software
Appreciate 0