F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Spring Choices
proTUNING Freaks

09-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i M sport

Spring Choices

Before anyone says: "do a google search"... thanks for the bump. I have, but I would like to know if there has been a change in opinions

Yes I know coilovers exist. Not trying to spend 2k when i dont track the car.

Was looking at dinan with the bumpstops or H&R on my 435xi. Leaning towards Dinan just because I have seen people seem to see it be closest to stock springs. Living in New England, snow can be bad at times.

Pictures and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
I'm in the middle of doing this... using springs will wear down your shocks a lot quicker...how many miles on current shocks?... labor install is the same... the cost of springs vs coilovers is $500 if you go with no-rebound adjustment ST coilovers...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
I'm in the middle of doing this... using springs will wear down your shocks a lot quicker...how many miles on current shocks?... labor install is the same... the cost of springs vs coilovers is $500 if you go with no-rebound adjustment ST coilovers...
He can't do ST as they are not stainless steel and won't protect from winter snow/salt.

If the roads aren't great over there and you don't have adaptive suspension then you might just want to try Eibach springs as the lowering is mild as compared to H&R and Dinan. Having more drop from Dinan or H&R will just damage your shocks sooner or later and the ride will become unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Currently at 42k for a 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
He can't do ST as they are not stainless steel and won't protect from winter snow/salt.

If the roads aren't great over there and you don't have adaptive suspension then you might just want to try Eibach springs as the lowering is mild as compared to H&R and Dinan. Having more drop from Dinan or H&R will just damage your shocks sooner or later and the ride will become unbearable.
Roads are not the worse for sure and dont have the adaptive suspenion. Not looking for a huge drop either. Not into the slammed look. I feel the X drive sit higher than the RWD hence i like the 1" drop with dinan.

If going through with the coilover route is the best option, what am i looking at for options and cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

They are galvanized... his oem i'm sure are not stainless... the KW stainless are overkill... bilstein which are warranted for life are zinc coated (galvanized)... ST comes with 5 year warranty which I'm sure is plenty...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They are galvanized... his oem i'm sure are not stainless...
OEM doesn't have threads and are non adjustable, won't seize. Lot of posts out there that will give a better idea about how ST fare after one or two winters. But yeah, he certainly can get them Warranty is good but lot of labor cost involved. I don't think Bilsteins have any issues with corrosion, not sure though. Just saw Bilstein has some Triple C coating for corrosion protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareed2997 View Post
Currently at 42k for a 2016.
They say around 50,000 miles to change... go springs and you cut that in half of life you have left and still have to fork out the same as if you bought coilovers to begin with....

I was quoted $450 labor springs or coilovers....

ST = $838

Dinan = $279

Bilstein struts/shocks = $652

Your gonna blow your shocks out sooner than later going with springs on 42000mile oem struts/shocks....

best you go coilovers to begin with.... good luck with your decision...
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OEM doesn't have threads and are non adjustable, won't seize. Lot of posts out there that will give a better idea about how ST fare after one or two winters. But yeah, he certainly can get them Warranty is good but lot of labor cost involved. I don't think Bilsteins have any issues with corrosion, not sure though. Just saw Bilstein has some Triple C coating for corrosion protection.
thanks .... I'll look into it... I don't drive my car in the winter when streets are not clean... but you never know... what about anti-seize on the threads?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
quick read and they say clean coilovers before winter season and put anti-seize on threads... even can put boots on...

Or just save up for KW's... lol...
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thanks .... I'll look into it... I don't drive my car in the winter when streets are not clean... but you never know... what about anti-seize on the threads?
I think that should work if one applies it regularly. Apart from worrying about corrosion in winters STs are great, I believe they are same as KW. I'd have gotten them installed of KW if it didn't snow a lot here in Wisconsin. One with adjustable height and dampening would've been cheaper than KW V1. I drive my car all year round as this is the only one I have. Now with work from home this upcoming winter will probably be a bit easy on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

In addition to FastF30s options:
Bilstein B14 ~ 1k.
KW V1 ~ 1.4k

Either do B8 shocks+dinan or eibach springs or just go for coilovers, B14s are pretty good too. If you only want to try springs then Eibachs as they provide a mild drop that won't be harsh on stock shocks as much as Dinan or H&R will be.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Looks like the clean and anit-seize should be used on all C/O ... galvanized or SS... this is what I'm thinking... Moly-Spray™ Dry Film Lubricant... once before and after the season will keep them like new... this is just my opinion from doing quick reads...

update... washes off easily... damn.. looks like a lot of guys use spray on lithium due too the fine threads bind with certain anti-seizes... who would of guessed that..

Update again:
DRI-MOLY (royal oil co.) dries quickly and will not wash off. Once it dries, it will stay in place providing lubricity even under very heavy loads (in excess of 20,000 psi)...

Last edited by FastF30; 09-14-2020 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
I'd have gotten them installed of KW if it didn't snow a lot here in Wisconsin. .
Snow in Wisconsin he said
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #14
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep

Bump....

few more opinions.

have narrowed it down to KW v1, Bilstein b14, or eibach springs
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Snow in Wisconsin he said
haha, already starting to get cold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #16
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
haha, already starting to get cold
I heard! My sister in law unpacked their sweaters this weekend
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #17
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
there are many reports of Bilstein having a firm, arguably harsh ride, so i'd omit that choice.

KW V1 if you want it low, with ability to set the perfect height while still retaining more than acceptable levels of ride comfort.

I believe Eibach has two different spring offerings. x-drive is mild lowering, rwd is a bit lower

if eibach x-drive springs, mild lowering, i recommend pairing them up with koni SA or yellow sport(adjustable rebound) dampers. SA are sporty but more comfortable. Yellow Sport are more track oriented so they're firmer than SA but well comfortable if adjusted soft.

since koni SA are meant for mild lowering only, use koni yellow if you opt for the lower eibach rwd springs

here is a F32 xdrive with lowering comparison between stock and eibach for x-drive...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=122

since you do not track and basically just want to reduce the hideous x-drive wheel gap, i'd go with eibach(x-drive) and koni SA. if you want it a pinch lower than that eibach(rwd) and koni yellow sport
Appreciate 4
johnung4531.00
otay826.00
      09-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #18
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
there are many reports of Bilstein having a firm, arguably harsh ride, so i'd omit that choice.

KW V1 if you want it low, with ability to set the perfect height while still retaining more than acceptable levels of ride comfort.

I believe Eibach has two different spring offerings. x-drive is mild lowering, rwd is a bit lower

if eibach x-drive springs, mild lowering, i recommend pairing them up with koni SA or yellow sport(adjustable rebound) dampers. SA are sporty but more comfortable. Yellow Sport are more track oriented so they're firmer than SA but well comfortable if adjusted soft.

since koni SA are meant for mild lowering only, use koni yellow if you opt for the lower eibach rwd springs

here is a F32 xdrive with lowering comparison between stock and eibach for x-drive...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=122

since you do not track and basically just want to reduce the hideous x-drive wheel gap, i'd go with eibach(x-drive) and koni SA. if you want it a pinch lower than that eibach(rwd) and koni yellow sport
Photo of Koni Special Active with Eibach mild spring. Lowered from 0.8" and rear 0.6" to get rid of some xDrive reverse rake. Only 10% stiffer than stock so more control without added harshness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #19
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

here is a F32 xdrive with lowering comparison between stock and eibach for x-drive...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=122

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Photo of Koni Special Active with Eibach mild spring. Lowered from 0.8" and rear 0.6" to get rid of some xDrive reverse rake. Only 10% stiffer than stock so more control without added harshness.
Guessing i wont pass with just springs and that the Koni SA would help a lot?

With all that, itll rack up near $900-1000. at that price maybe KW v1 may be worth getting if its a better set up for little extra cost and peace of mind?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:00 PM   #20
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

If you're scared about rust don't buy the Dinan springs (thrust me I know about it )
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #21
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I was all set to get the ST's XA and now I don't know....this winter thing is really bugging me now... I don't drive unless streets are clean but still gonna get salt residue I'm sure... yea I can put boots on but I just don't know anymore... kw's are just to damn expensive and rather take that money and spend somewhere else.. never gonna track it competitively anyways... lots of good reviews for the B14.... hmmmmmm.....

P.s. is there anything else I have to purchase... bump stops etc?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:29 PM   #22
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Last I checked(4-5 months ago) Koni had nothing for 4 series, otherwise, Koni yellow or SA shocks are a great option.
Appreciate 0