09-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
UV Faded Trim Plastics

I noticed when comparing the beautiful piano black trims against the IDrive controller module with the buttons that there were differing colours of black plastics, some almost grey.

Against the piano black I have 4 shades of black, just looks cheap and unfinished.

For a vehicle with 10k on the clock, I personally don’t think it’s a good thing. I popped my head in a new 7 Series and had a look at the black trim colour and it all looked perfect.

I also noticed moulding issue underneath the trims (seen from above) and moulding marks from production across the entire length.

Be interested to see if anyone else has something similar.

Can Easily be seen in Direct sunlight.
Attached Images

Last edited by TK - 421; 09-01-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      09-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Do you still have a protective plastic film all over the buttons, by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Do you still have a protective plastic film all over the buttons, by any chance?
Unfortunately not.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Maybe one of the problems is the piano black. It is so perfectly black that it makes the plastic black parts look worse.

And it looks like the black parts of the panel are covered with a layer of transparent plastic. That makes them look different than all black plastic.

And the black of the idrive and start button look darker although also covered with clear plastic (I presume it is not really crystal?)
Appreciate 1
Tenac4601.00
      09-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Maybe one of the problems is the piano black. It is so perfectly black that it makes the plastic black parts look worse.
Definitely a quality issue as the same panel in the new 7 is perfectly matched and consistent in colour
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:14 AM   #6
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I’ve also noticed the same issue on the front vent surrounds, the black plastics are starting to cloud over and turn a slight grey colour.

If any of you get chance please take a few pics of the idrive media console for comparison. As mentioned the 7 And the new 3 I looked at in the showroom was a crisp black and looked to be the same module/panel.

I’m thinking as my G05 is a MY19 it’s possibly more relating to a production issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I took some pictures at 8 am and at 12 with the roof open and sunny weather.

At 8 it looks black. At 12 a bit more grey.
The back of the switch of the handbrake is clearly darker that the part with the letters for the gear shifter. Definitely a line visible.

I don't think I look at it a lot during driving. And when I don't drive I am not in my car.

But is does look better in the morning when not in direct sunlight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I took some pictures at 8 am and at 12 with the roof open and sunny weather.

At 8 it looks black. At 12 a bit more grey.
The back of the switch of the handbrake is clearly darker that the part with the letters for the gear shifter. Definitely a line visible.

I don't think I look at it a lot during driving. And when I don't drive I am not in my car.

But is does look better in the morning when not in direct sunlight.
Brilliant, thanks for the photos, to me that does look a bit better, more consistent in colour. Noticed its a 20MY as well.

I noticed it when i was valeting the car, and once you notice it... well we all know what happens then. You can't stop noticing it!

Dealership agrees with me and has agreed to change the plastics out which is good news. ill keep you updated on how it all goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #9
vroemvroem
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Brilliant, thanks for the photos, to me that does look a bit better, more consistent in colour. Noticed its a 20MY as well.

I noticed it when i was valeting the car, and once you notice it... well we all know what happens then. You can't stop noticing it!

Dealership agrees with me and has agreed to change the plastics out which is good news. ill keep you updated on how it all goes.
Can I ask how you noticed it was a 20MY?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroemvroem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post

Can I ask how you noticed it was a 20MY?
I think he saw that in the section "my garage" in my personal info. I don't think you can see it in my pictures. But if it is I would also like to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Smile

Quote:
I think he saw that in the section "my garage" in my personal info. I don't think you can see it in my pictures. But if it is I would also like to know.
It’s the font. The MY20 has a slightly more rounded font, which can be seen on the letter ‘D’ for adaptive drive. Also the wood grain is defiantly a 2020 vintage, easily recognisable against the 19MY grain, which is thinner and less defined.
And if you believe all that, you’ll believe anything
Saw it it you garage profile
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      09-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Might be worth it to apply some cquartz UK ceramic coating over the trims for some protection. It might also help with making it look less faded too.

This is the only area of the car I do not like. Buttons arent buttons and its a massive fingerprint magnet that you have to touch. I have to take my eyes off the road to make sure i am pressing the right area every time i use it.

Alan
      09-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Might be worth it to apply some cquartz UK ceramic coating over the trims for some protection. It might also help with making it look less faded too.

This is the only area of the car I do not like. Buttons arent buttons and its a massive fingerprint magnet that you have to touch. I have to take my eyes off the road to make sure i am pressing the right area every time i use it.

Alan
It looks like the fading occurs on the black surface under transparent plastic. So I wonder if that would help.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

Alan
I 100% agree with this, I’m always looking down as well, whereas the G30 I knew where the buttons were without looking. I actually prefer the look of the G05 media/panel module, but dislike the haptic Feedback which feels cheap somehow, a real button would of been better. The durability is also very questionable every one I’ve seen Has scratches.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #15
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
It looks like the fading occurs on the black surface under transparent plastic. So I wonder if that would help.
It might if the fading is caused by UV damage. Ceramic should provide an additional layer of protection. It will also help with minor swirls/scratching too.