BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i coupe, C43amg sedan

Check engine light on

Hello guys,
After >2 months of waiting for the ac to be fixed now a check engine light popped up but no error messages when I check in settings! How can I figure out what it is from? This car has been quite a disappointment so far...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddym850icoupe View Post
Hello guys,
After >2 months of waiting for the ac to be fixed now a check engine light popped up but no error messages when I check in settings! How can I figure out what it is from? This car has been quite a disappointment so far...
If you look in your manual, there are a couple different types of check engine lights, a steady light means one thing, a flashing light means another and it will tell you which one is the more serious one, which if I remember is when its flashing. Anyway, your manual should tell you.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

The only choice you have is to take it back.

However, check your states lemon laws and start documenting everything just in case. Get legal help if you feel like you’re getting the run around or nothing but excuses. In a lot of cases, the attorney fees are completely paid for by BMW once a settlement is reached, so there’s little risk in getting legal counsel.

Some people are able to avoid the hassle of suing, but why risk it and hope they do a buyback. It’s hit or miss whether BMW corporate will provide assistance (at least based on what I’ve read so far).

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
SMC23
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Subaru XTrek / X5 40e

OP - Please elaborate on why you feel the car was quite the disappointment. I’m currently in an F15 and thinking of the new X5 only if it is reliable.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #5
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC23 View Post
OP - Please elaborate on why you feel the car was quite the disappointment. I’m currently in an F15 and thinking of the new X5 only if it is reliable.
Main thing is that I've owned the car for just over 3 months and haven't had functioning ac for nearly the entirety of that time frame which in South Louisiana means the car is truly undriveable. Now check engine light on. Also, I have to say that even though i have generally disliked BMW steering since my 2015 435 xdrive msport, the steering on the x5 is just poor. It's artificially oversensitive which makes the car exhausting to drive on long trips. Its also odd that a car that weighs 5000lbs has steering that is so touchy. The m850 does the same thing but to a lesser extent. I can live with the steering to be honest, but going for a 3rd time to the dealer in 3 months of ownership is absurd! 102k for this kind of experience?
Appreciate 1
SMC23180.00
      08-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
Buddym850icoupe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
If you look in your manual, there are a couple different types of check engine lights, a steady light means one thing, a flashing light means another and it will tell you which one is the more serious one, which if I remember is when its flashing. Anyway, your manual should tell you.
it's a steady one. Just going from others on the forum I assume its the active grille. Which means another part to be ordered, then yet another trip to get it fixed! And yet another 1-2 weeks of not having a car!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Scotch_Rye
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 40i

Try this.

Settings ventilation::remote start — turn off

Turn off car and start it a few time with a small 2 min delay between. Starts

Check engine light
Appreciate 0