BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

Security Steering lock for G05/G06 options

Hi guys,

Picked up my X6 40i from the dealers on Thursday, and am looking to make it unattractive for thieves to have a go, it hasn't got comfort access but with all the scanners and technology these days, you never know...

Looking for a steering wheel lock for it, but am concerned by the possible marring on the steering wheel because of how heavy they are, and of course getting the right one.

I got Stoplock Pro, which fits, but its leaving dents on the thick M sport steering wheel that take all day to disappear, only to make them again the following night.

Has anyone dabbled with this and found one that fits nicely without causing too much aftereffects ?

Anyway, the pictures as I am sure someone will ask

When it arrived

and

And after getting her home

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 1
mocad39.00
      08-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I use a stoplock - yes it leaves a small indent on the wheel, but I would rather have that then something worse......
I only use it as a visual deterrent, nothing more. I have Autowatch Ghost installed too, which I rely on for security mores then a wheel lock. I only us ether wheel lock overnight and never take it anywhere with me.....

I'd also be interested in a solution that doesn't leave any marks though - although one that is just as secure, or more so!

Consider your wheels too!
I installed Rimgards : https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1740736

Then again, they are pricey! (although I didnt pay for them lol)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Congratulations. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.

In my opinion it is not worth the hassle to have a steering wheel lock but we all have our personal feelings on that.
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      08-22-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

I did think about Rimguard after I saw them on a car youtuber's channel, but I think the look of the wheels will be changed for the worse.

As for tracker, if someone stole it, I rather not have it back to be fair... knowing someone probably thrashed the hell out of your pride and joy would leave a tainted taste in my mouth.

The idea is to put them off taking it in the first place, hence the visible wheel lock.

I'll live with the stoplock for now I guess, maybe wrap a microfiber cloth around the steering wheel to cushion the impact.... will see what I come up with.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I had no idea Europe was such a crime infested cesspool. I'm sorry you all have to deal with getting such extravagant security measures.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I had no idea Europe was such a crime infested cesspool. I'm sorry you all have to deal with getting such extravagant security measures.
Vehicle theft is in every country. Europe started seeing an increase after the wall came down in '89. Motor vehicle thefts in the United States have decreased significantly in the past twenty years, from 1.7 million cars stolen in 1991, down 55% to 773,139 in 2018, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB)

The FBI reports 1.24 million thefts for 1998, decreasing to 773,000 in 2017. I am sure that this is not in totality since not all vehicle thefts reach the FBI.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-1

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I would love to see updated crime statistics for vehicles with this much technological sophistication. I would believe that people can get carjacked or having stuff stolen from inside or outright vangalism. But no one is over here outright stealing BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
I would love to see updated crime statistics for vehicles with this much technological sophistication. I would believe that people can get carjacked or having stuff stolen from inside or outright vangalism. But no one is over here outright stealing BMWs.
I looked for the reason for the decrease but couldn't find it. My guess is due to car manufacturers technology in making it more difficult to steal and easy to track combined with the rather low unemployment rate the US ...used to have. Still, depends on where you live and where you park it. If there's a will, there's a way. The unemployment rate in Europe was in the teens for years after the wall came down and borders opened.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:26 AM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
The UK saw a sharp increase in car thefts when thieves got the ability to first hack OBD ports, and later use scanners to trick the comfort access systems. It meant they could take the car off the driveway within 30 seconds without the keys. That is too tempting for any would-be thief to resist.

Maybe the keyless theft equipment the thieves are using here just isn't easy to get hold of in the US. Or maybe the opportunities to convert the stolen car to cash (selling to chop shops or shipping abroad) aren't as widely available over there

But the ease with which these newer 'more advanced' cars can be stolen is shocking once the thieves have the tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I don't think they steal such a luxury car very often here. But there are gangs that steal parts.

On a morning I got in my F16 30d like every other day and I saw a gaping hole in front of me. The instrument cluster was away. They just got in my car like I did with a key. Nothing broken!
A neighbour with a BMW has gotten his steering wheel, his frigging steering wheel!, stolen twice!

When my car was at the dealer the shop was full of BMW's with stolen navigation, radio, instrument cluster, ...

I think it's easier to sell the parts in Eastern Europe than a complete car.

Last edited by Heavyd; 08-23-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

indeed, there was some research into this at work a few years ago (insurance company).
Profit margin on "upgrade parts" is much better, can be done by small time burglers without violence (less risk of severe punishment), and the instructions to break into a specific model of car can be bought on the web.
Any car, also the "technological marvels" we drive, can be broken in to in under 1 minute with no to minimal cost.
Starting and driving it requires more expensive equipment, but taking parts is easy, also due to the fact that car manufacturers make the assembly less and less complex.
An example? I installed my own sound system on my previous car, a mercedes GLC. Removing the entire center console required loosening exactly 2 screws. 10 seconds job.
And the fact that all parts disappear to eastern europe is also a misconception. Many end up in Germany for example.
Basically you can assume that nearly all loose parts you can purchase on ebay, and which cannot be linked to a parts company or car junkyard, are in origin stolen.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Car only being 3 days old, and now with repeated dents being created on the steering wheel (albeit going away by the afternoon), I decided to not use the stoplock anymore........

There's only so many times before it becomes permanent.

Will look into installing a subterranean Post that can be pulled up behind the car when parked.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
Portocale
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

European lock

You can try this : https://www.jk-limited.com/produkt/joylock-bmw-2
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
indeed, there was some research into this at work a few years ago (insurance company).
Profit margin on "upgrade parts" is much better, can be done by small time burglers without violence (less risk of severe punishment), and the instructions to break into a specific model of car can be bought on the web.
Any car, also the "technological marvels" we drive, can be broken in to in under 1 minute with no to minimal cost.
Starting and driving it requires more expensive equipment, but taking parts is easy, also due to the fact that car manufacturers make the assembly less and less complex.
An example? I installed my own sound system on my previous car, a mercedes GLC. Removing the entire center console required loosening exactly 2 screws. 10 seconds job.
And the fact that all parts disappear to eastern europe is also a misconception. Many end up in Germany for example.
Basically you can assume that nearly all loose parts you can purchase on ebay, and which cannot be linked to a parts company or car junkyard, are in origin stolen.
Yes, low risk, high profit. They know it's low prio for cops and justice. The cops came and the first question they asked are you insured. Ah, no problem then. The insurance company will cover it. Case closed, never heared anything of it again.
Even if they would stop a car at the end of the street with an instrument cluster in the trunk, nothing they can do. Prove it is yours, good luck.

One tip the cops gave was to be alert the following weeks because those criminals know that the car gets fixed and then they come for a second time.
Appreciate 1
Sdupp14.00
      08-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #15
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

You have a ghost, it's not going anywhere. And if by some chance it does get nicked you are insured and presume you have GAP.

I don't have comfort access and have CCTV which is enough security as far as I am concerned.

I know is it's your pride and joy but at the end of the day it's a metal box and if thieves really want it, they will take it. What makes it worse that if they really want it and it has a steering wheel lock, they won't hesitate coming through your front door to take it.

Not to be too harsh, but If you are that worried about car theft in your area so badly that you need a ghost, steering lock and post behind car probably would be wiser to spend the £70k/monthly payments moving to a better area first.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
You have a ghost, it's not going anywhere. And if by some chance it does get nicked you are insured and presume you have GAP.

I don't have comfort access and have CCTV which is enough security as far as I am concerned.

I know is it's your pride and joy but at the end of the day it's a metal box and if thieves really want it, they will take it. What makes it worse that if they really want it and it has a steering wheel lock, they won't hesitate coming through your front door to take it.

Not to be too harsh, but If you are that worried about car theft in your area so badly that you need a ghost, steering lock and post behind car probably would be wiser to spend the £70k/monthly payments moving to a better area first.

I do see where you're coming from, and I know you're trying to not be too harsh, but saying "if you dont want your car stolen, move to a better area" is just a ridiculous statement to make, sorry.

So you think thieves just decide "oh no !! this is a nice neighbourhood, we better not venture there...."

I do live in a nice area, and I wasn't assuming my neighbours were the ones trying to steal my car. I just wondered if there was something that people used that didnt mark the steering wheel, that is all, not expecting a "move house you peasant...."

Anyway, yes I have insurance, yes I have GAP insurance, and yes i have CCTV, and have decided to leave it at that for now, but thanks anyway for the input.

Appreciate 2
GlennC321.00
      08-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #17
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
Quote:

I do see where you're coming from, and I know you're trying to not be too harsh, but saying "if you dont want your car stolen, move to a better area" is just a ridiculous statement to make, sorry.

So you think thieves just decide "oh no !! this is a nice neighbourhood, we better not venture there...."

I do live in a nice area, and I wasn't assuming my neighbours were the ones trying to steal my car. I just wondered if there was something that people used that didnt mark the steering wheel, that is all, not expecting a "move house you peasant...."

Anyway, yes I have insurance, yes I have GAP insurance, and yes i have CCTV, and have decided to leave it at that for now, but thanks anyway for the input.
I'm sorry I think you totally misunderstood my comment.

Of course, car theft is present everywhere, in fact, the nicer the area, the nicer the cars, the more car theft there should be but doesn't always seem to be that way. And by better area I mean something along the lines of a gated development, or house that allows a garage big enough to fit one of these things in. I live in a nice area but have neither of those - well my garage fits a 3 series at a push. Anyway, that's a completely different debate.

On the flip side, if I lived in a postcode prone to car theft or criminal damage I don't think I'd bother with owning a flash car - but that's my opinion.

Also, I didn't call you a peasant? So not sure where that came from....

What I was trying to say is that if you get so paranoid about your car being stolen trying to implement every possible security/prevention feature a available, doesn't that take away from the joy of owning such a nice car? Like I said if they want it, they will get it which is a shame but there is no point in going over the top on security.

Someone I know had a Golf R on their driveway. Steering wheel lock and driveway post (which offers nothing in reality vs bolt cutters). Thieves couldn't get the steering wheel lock off so they broke into the house and threatened with a knife to hand over his keys. Like I say, not worth it, would prefer it gone than having that happen to me.

In terms of protecting the steering wheel if you still want suggestions:

1) tape the inside of the top of the steering wheel lock with door frame insulation. It's a soft foam and will absorb a bit of the compression weight. Can be gotten in B&Q
2) get an oversized plastic steering wheel cover to remove easily every time. That will spread the weight of the steering wheel lock and the compression will be less focused
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #18
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Of course, car theft is present everywhere, in fact, the nicer the area, the nicer the cars, the more car theft there should be but doesn't always seem to be that way. And by better area I mean something along the lines of a gated development, or house that allows a garage big enough to fit one of these things in. I live in a nice area but have neither of those - well my garage fits a 3 series at a push. Anyway, that's a completely different debate.

On the flip side, if I lived in a postcode prone to car theft or criminal damage I don't think I'd bother with owning a flash car - but that's my opinion.

What I was trying to say is that if you get so paranoid about your car being stolen trying to implement every possible security/prevention feature a available, doesn't that take away from the joy of owning such a nice car? Like I said if they want it, they will get it which is a shame but there is no point in going over the top on security.

Someone I know had a Golf R on their driveway. Steering wheel lock and driveway post (which offers nothing in reality vs bolt cutters). Thieves couldn't get the steering wheel lock off so they broke into the house and threatened with a knife to hand over his keys. Like I say, not worth it, would prefer it gone than having that happen to me.

1) tape the inside of the top of the steering wheel lock with door frame insulation. It's a soft foam and will absorb a bit of the compression weight. Can be gotten in B&Q
2) get an oversized plastic steering wheel cover to remove easily every time. That will spread the weight of the steering wheel lock and the compression will be less focused
I wasnt offended at all, was merely tongue in cheek my response - guess text is not best way to express that.

And yes, I do see your point re-breaking in and threatening with a knife, I wouldnt want that either, but hopefully the doors can withstand a bashing or two and the alarm going off if they do enter would make them flee.

I just feel like the opportunist (non-knife-wielding) thief would be diswayed by something like that, and so was trying to find something to deter them.

I'm also half convinced to leave it anyway, as the telescopic mechanism when you get out of the car might not like a big heavy lock hanging off it all the time.

Anyway appreciate your response and advice re-foam cushioning, no hard feelings

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #19
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
Quote:

I wasnt offended at all, was merely tongue in cheek my response - guess text is not best way to express that.

And yes, I do see your point re-breaking in and threatening with a knife, I wouldnt want that either, but hopefully the doors can withstand a bashing or two and the alarm going off if they do enter would make them flee.

I just feel like the opportunist (non-knife-wielding) thief would be diswayed by something like that, and so was trying to find something to deter them.

I'm also half convinced to leave it anyway, as the telescopic mechanism when you get out of the car might not like a big heavy lock hanging off it all the time.

Anyway appreciate your response and advice re-foam cushioning, no hard feelings
Unfortunately, with the level of tech required to get these cars going, And most modern cars in general, I don't think opportunistic car theft for a joy ride is a thing anymore and imagine most cars are nicked to order these days.

Fair point about the electronically adjusting steering wheel column - plenty of threads on here about them going wrong without the added weight!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #20
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Congrats! Looks great!

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 1
Thawke163.50
      08-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #21
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

15yrs ago, I got this for my Nissan Sentra......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #22
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone still interested, have found T-Bar Steering Wheel lock to be very good, no marks or dents on the steering wheel at all and the weight of it is not carried by the steering wheel as it rests on top of the dash (also not leaving a mark)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just wanting to share in case IftiBashir was still looking

Appreciate 0