BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Side swiped in my garage this morning

Well it happened. Someone side swiped the rear side of our X5 this morning pulling out of their space in our garage. Luckily I happened to get down there shortly after it occurred and they were still there. I got their insurance and other information. The damage is not too bad - think mostly just scratched paint. They offered that we could resolve it without the insurance but from my perspective since they are admitting fault I may as well just go through the insurance, right? What is the process, just call my insurance and give them the information and then they deal with the others insurance? Or is there some other reason to avoid that and just take it to a body shop and get it fixed myself and get paid back by the person? Seems more straightforward to go through the insurance tho since I’ll need a rental car also...

Pics attached (not sure how to rotate it) appreciate any input or advice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Sorry to hear that. For me, I will always go file a claim of their insurance and avoid settling it privately. You never know if those people will play dirty tricks on you later, especially with people in NYC. I live in NYC for years so I know.

Through insurance, you will end up sending the car to a designated shop (or one of your choice) for repair and from experience, the repair work from those designated shops is usually good. The insurance co will be involved in the whole repair process too, so I will go with the insurance route so that events are documented. If the repair work goes bad, you tell the insurance company and they will help addressing it.

The process starts off with you calling up their insurance company and open a claim. You will be asked to provide information of the incident, submit pictures, etc. The insurance companies for both parties typically can resolve everything in like 5-10 business days.

The downside of this route is that despite the fact it was the other party's fault, whenever you open/submit a claim, your premium might end up higher. Thats why to me, there is no loyalty when it comes to doing business with an insurance company. I will switch around for price. It is really up to you to decide which route you want to take.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I had this happen to me a long time ago and let the person deal with it privately. What I did was still take all his info incase things went south. After that I went to a body shop, got a quote, called the guy up and told him what it was and he cut me a check for the estimate. You're really doing the guy a solid by not getting insurance involved. If it were me and I dented someones car I would want that same courtesy extended to me. I may be niave but if you have the insurance info, very little risk on your part to handle it b/w the two of you.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Ah so I would be supposed to go through their insurance directly and not involve my insurance at all? If that’s the case how could it happen that my insurance rates would increase?

I agree there’s not much risk in handling it between the two of us other than I’d have more leg work to do (finding a shop etc). They live in my apartment building and seem normal etc and I have their information in case something goes wrong. How would you handle getting a rental car for the time mine is in the shop in that case?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #5
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
Ah so I would be supposed to go through their insurance directly and not involve my insurance at all? If that's the case how could it happen that my insurance rates would increase?

I agree there's not much risk in handling it between the two of us other than I'd have more leg work to do (finding a shop etc). They live in my apartment building and seem normal etc and I have their information in case something goes wrong. How would you handle getting a rental car for the time mine is in the shop in that case?
Your insurance company will need to know about this incident as well. Each insurance company will assign a claim adjustor and the two claim adjusters will go through the information and pictures provided by both parties to make a determination.

In the future, if you want to switch insurance company, the rep just needs to enter your driver license to a computer and it will display if you ever entered into an accident and whose fault was it.

As soon as you open a claim, there will be a record that will last for about 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Ah so I would be supposed to go through their insurance directly and not involve my insurance at all? If that’s the case how could it happen that my insurance rates would increase?

I agree there’s not much risk in handling it between the two of us other than I’d have more leg work to do (finding a shop etc). They live in my apartment building and seem normal etc and I have their information in case something goes wrong. How would you handle getting a rental car for the time mine is in the shop in that case?
I don't think you have to worry about your rates increasing. I'm not 100% certain how insurance works, but I would venture to guess you have your insurance company deal with theirs. that way if they're under insured you're still covered.

Honestly, since they're your neighbors, I would just try and work it out with them. Say you'll get a quote, and they'll pay the rental too - it's fair. What I did was just get the cheapest rental I could get to give the guy a break. Accidents happen so I worked with the guy as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Ah so I would be supposed to go through their insurance directly and not involve my insurance at all? If that's the case how could it happen that my insurance rates would increase?

I agree there's not much risk in handling it between the two of us other than I'd have more leg work to do (finding a shop etc). They live in my apartment building and seem normal etc and I have their information in case something goes wrong. How would you handle getting a rental car for the time mine is in the shop in that case?
I don't think you have to worry about your rates increasing. I'm not 100% certain how insurance works, but I would venture to guess you have your insurance company deal with theirs. that way if they're under insured you're still covered.

Honestly, since they're your neighbors, I would just try and work it out with them. Say you'll get a quote, and they'll pay the rental too - it's fair. What I did was just get the cheapest rental I could get to give the guy a break. Accidents happen so I worked with the guy as much as possible.
If they are your neighbors, then I guess you could resolve it privately as long as you are comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

From my experience, you get a ding on the value of the car during trade it and the possibility of premium increase on your car insurance. I would always settle this privately if I could. It's a good gesture and good will to your neighbor as well that may find it's way back to you in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

All makes sense. Thanks for the input guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Sorry to hear this happened to you but glad it wasn't worse and that everyone is okay (only thing that matters at the end of the day). I'm an insurance agent and underwriter and can hopefully shed a little light on the process for you.

If using insurance, going through the at-fault party's company will ensure you don't have to pay anything out of pocket (deductible-wise, that is) and they will almost always provide you with a rental vehicle as a courtesy. If you use your own insurance company (and you totally can), you will more than likely end up paying your collision deductible out of pocket. Fortunately you can get this back when your insurance company recoups its payout from theirs. As mentioned, you have the right to use any shop of your choice. Though sometimes an insurance company will guarantee the work for life if you use one of their preferred vendors. Doing this also can speed things up a bit as preferred vendors may not require an adjuster to physically come out.

Also, proceed with caution on the settling this privately part. I can understand why the person would want to do so but if after the work begins, say more damage is found internally, is worse than they originally thought, etc., an insurance company does NOT have to pay out on this; they have the right to inspect the damage prior to authorizing repairs and paying out on it as a condition of your policy. My take on what I'd do or recommend to my family and friends? If I damage somebody else's property, unless it's small and clearly surface only damage, for example, 9 times out of 10 I'd defer to my insurance policy as one of their duties is to protect me. All of that aside, I get the whole this is my neighbor thing. Just proceed with caution. Have a reputable collision center take a look (your dealer may have one) and make sure that there's no damage beyond the surface.

If you do decide to get insurance involved - whether theirs or yours - you won't be looking at this affecting your rates. A non-fault accident won't be held against you. If you have many non-fault claims you can be canceled due to claims frequency (if your state allows this; most do) but that's another story.

Let me know if I can help at all. You know your Bimmerpost family will help any way we can
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      08-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
Sdupp
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40i

I can tell you one thing that happened on my last car, I let their insurance fix my car. They did a great job. Nothing out of my pocket BUT when I traded it in, the Car Fax showed my car was in an accident. Now my trade in is worth less money. It doesn't mater ifs its your fault or not you loose. If you can trust them to do the right thing I would allow your neighbor to pay for the repairs without notifying the insurance company's.... Good luck with everything!

Last edited by Sdupp; 08-24-2020 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
edtreo88.50
      08-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Yeah I will avoid going thru insurance because is going to be a problem when you sell the car. I will make them sign the agreement as legal document agreeing that they will not claim anything once is negotiation is settled. Same thing happen to me last year but we settle down privately with signed agreement. My car’s damage is worst then yours lol
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Ok lots of more good color. Thanks everyone. Really think this is a great forum / community full of helpful people. This car is a lease so I am not concerned about trade in value at the end (no issues on that respect with a lease right?).

I will likely end up going through their insurance not to be a jerk or anything but just for simplicity and ease. With a 5 month old infant at home I just don’t have time to figure out where to take the car in on my own and coordinating with a rental car might be complicated, tho maybe going through the insurance process will be equally so. Might be hard to find a way to do all of this whilst avoiding taking a cab or other public transit doh.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Do not EVER settle privately. If they disappear, you'll go through FAR more hassle trying to track them down and get your money.... which you may never get.

People are shit. "Let's settle this privately" sounds good to the person at fault at the time..... until it comes time to pay the bill.

Personally, I would have called the cops and made sure there was a police report as well.

Sorry this happened..... but that's exactly what insurance is for. If you don't like your rates going up..... then perhaps you should learn to drive a car properly without hitting someone. No sympathy from me.

I don't believe there are such things as "accidents"..... there are just varying levels of inattentiveness, coupled with varying levels of incompetence, often mixed in with a heaping helping of douchebaggery.
Appreciate 2
dds007420.50
paliknight2192.50
      08-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #15
JayM40i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 40i

If you go through insurance make sure they cover the amount that the car would depreciate due to the "accident".
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
@op If your insurance lets you pick your own body shop and you need a recommendation let me know. The shop uses parts from bmw manhattan and they use accudraft and spies hecker to perfectly match your bmw paint - A1 work. Also they will have enterprise to come pick you up at the shop. Pm me if you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #17
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate it, pm sent —
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #18
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
If you go through insurance make sure they cover the amount that the car would depreciate due to the "accident".
I've tried with that before, but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone have a recommendation for a body shop in manhattan?

Does the dealer do bodywork? I called one shop and they told me to just take it to the dealer. Didn’t know they’d be able to do that - easy enough if so.

Last edited by BeemerDreamerNYC; 08-24-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #20
2020G05
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Go thru their insurance company unless you trust them with your life. Just plenty of thing to go awry, not involving respective insurance companies.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep

Yes I am going through the other party’s insurance. Everything that Coolerbethelake wrote above was spot on. Can take it to any shop I choose. For those wondering, BMW of Manhattan does do body work so I am going to take it there. Still need to coordinate a rental car which is a bit of a pain but that is what it is. This is an annoyance but ultimately not a big deal. Thanks again for the input!
Appreciate 0