F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help! Speaker crackles and pops!
ARMA SPEED

07-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #1
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Help! Speaker crackles and pops!

So a few days ago, one of the porters at my work was washing the management teams cars. We run an airline catering company, as you can imagine, things are extremely slow. The guy doesn't have much to do, so he's taken it upon himself to start washing everyone's cars once a week as a way to keep busy. I specifically told him I do not want my car washed. I've told him this three times in fact and he washed it anyway.

Anyway, my windows were cracked open for ventilation because it was hot that day and I'm thinking water somehow got inside, because coincidentally, after he washed my car, I went to run an errand and my driver side, rear door speaker is crackling and popping like crazy. I assumed water somehow got in and damaged or shorted the speaker.

I removed the speaker and checked it for resistance/impedance. It reads 3.8-3.9 Ohms; spec is 4 Ohms so I'm assuming this is OK? I also touched the terminals to a 9V battery and the diaphragm moves up and down when powered. It does make static though when power is applied. Does that mean the speaker is bad? Wiring to the speaker looks fine from the harness/connector end. I'm stumped.

Last edited by IraHayes; 07-05-2020 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Noise like that is more likely sourced in the amp or the wiring, not the speaker. You can make sure if it's the speaker by trying it in another door.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Noise like that is more likely sourced in the amp or the wiring, not the speaker. You can make sure if it's the speaker by trying it in another door.
I considered that, though admittedly, I know very little about AV stuff, so I automatically assumed a blown speaker. I believe the amp and all fuses for this system is located in the trunk? Will need to look it up on TIS. Any suggestions on how to check the AMP, or just look for loose or damaged wires?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd try the speaker in the opposite door first, to rule it out.
Appreciate 0