F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > difference between Bimmertech MMI Prime & Road Top
Studio RSR

07-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Moto749r
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d M Sport

difference between Bimmertech MMI Prime & Road Top

so ive been looking at adding Carplay and android auto capabilites to my car.

i have found 2 units that are cable of doing this

bimmertech MMI Prime:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/category...y-mmi-retrofit

and the Road Top :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Top-Wi.../dp/B084RK3K2M

now looking at the photos, both units look identical, the Bimmertech unit is twice the cost.

anyone have any exerience wih the Road Top unit?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
Moto749r
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d M Sport

thank you Cossie1, thats a great write up and confirms what i belived that basicall its the same unit.

i shall put one on my birthday list and hope someone buys it for me lol
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Anybody know if there's an MMI interface to add Android auto to Evo id6?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto749r View Post
thank you Cossie1, thats a great write up and confirms what i belived that basicall its the same unit.

i shall put one on my birthday list and hope someone buys it for me lol
No probs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Anybody know if there's an MMI interface to add Android auto to Evo id6?
I believe Andream and Carlinkit both offer an MMI now for ID5 and 6, but I have no experience of using them, so can't comment if they work the same as the one for ID4
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I would like to buy a MMI for my BMW 320xI 2014. I already checked the display and it shows 6 connectors (NBT).
My problem is what to buy... all threads that I see become convoluted with many many details... Bimmer Tech is the best support, however the price is abusive. I know their product is chinese as the others, so the questions are:
-What the other chinese MMI boxes are same as Bimmer Tech, or same features and installation procedure?
-I don't want to add or install new microphone. Which of the MMI uses the car installed microphone?
-Do all of them require to swap the 2 green fiber optic wires?
Sorry if seems a kind of question that I should find the answer myself, however some threads are 300 tabs... so please give me a break... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
I would like to buy a MMI for my BMW 320xI 2014. I already checked the display and it shows 6 connectors (NBT).
My problem is what to buy... all threads that I see become convoluted with many many details... Bimmer Tech seems the best support, however the price is abusive. I know their product is chinese as the others, so the questions are:
-What the other chinese MMI boxes are same as Bimmer Tech?
-I don't want to add or install new microphone. Which one the MMI uses the car installed microphone?
-Do all of them require to swap the 2 green fiber optic wires?
Sorry if seems a kind of question that I should find the answer myself, however some threads are 300 tabs... so please give me a break... Thanks
Will you use Android Auto or Carplay?

If you use AA then I suggest a CarlinKit unit which is compatible with the custom software in the main thread. That sw is based on the Bimmertech software.

If you use Carplay then they all seem to perform much the same.

And they all use the oem mic for nbt and all require that you transfer the optic cable to the new harness.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #8
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Will you use Android Auto or Carplay?

If you use AA then I suggest a CarlinKit unit which is compatible with the custom software in the main thread. That sw is based on the Bimmertech software.

If you use Carplay then they all seem to perform much the same.

And they all use the oem mic for nbt and all require that you transfer the optic cable to the new harness.
Thanks Muniz_ri... I'll use Carplay, don't have intention to install rear camera... that make things easier. I'll explore my options now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #9
paulcu
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Thanks, that's a great help
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 05:36 PM   #10
f30_335i_xdrive
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I recently purchased and installed a RoadTop MMI box for my F30.

SDK Version is 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
Customer Version: B2R169R3
MCU Version: 22.10.10.110
HW Version: B_N2_1_G

A few questions for the community. If anyone knows the answers, that'd be much appreciated

1) Is there a way to change the skin? I see Bimmertech has a much nicer UI than RoadTop's, but that the new versions of the RoadTop HW can't use Bimmertech's firmware.
2) Is there a way to change the DPI? CarPlay and Android Auto have pretty small font & buttons. I purchased AAWireless, which lets me change the DPI to something larger but…
3) Is there a way to automatically switch to AAWired when the car is turned on? When I use RoadTop's Android Auto Wireless, it auto connects upon ignition (though sometimes it doesn't, which is another reason I bought AAWireless – for something more consistent). However, when I turn on my F30 with AAWireless plugged into the USB, I have to hold down Menu to change into the RoadTop box, and then click on Android Auto Wired, which causes the screen to flicker for 5-10s and before successfully jumping into Android Auto.
4) Any way to use the phone's mic in Android Auto? RoadTop didn't include the mic extension cable I need since I have a 2012 F30 with CIC. I already had to pay to have my box installed, and RoadTop is sending me the cable…but it'll be another trip to the mechanic to install, which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0