F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Different versions of NBT? Connected Drive compatibility?
proTUNING Freaks

06-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
mupet0000
Rep
Drives: 2019 F20 118i Shadow Edition

Different versions of NBT? Connected Drive compatibility?

My partner recently picked up a 2015 Mini Cooper with the NBT Pro Nav. It has the 20GB hard drive for music and the touch pad to enter letters with your finger. When trying to add this car using the VIN to the Mini Connected app, it won't allow you to with the error "registration issue vehicle not found". You also cannot add it on the Connected Drive website so are unable to purchase services like Real Time Traffic Information.

You can connect your iphone to it via a cable and use apps like Spotify, and also briefly see the fuel and range inside the app, but it only updates via the cable, not via bluetooth or remotely. The version is NBT_L15184A. Trying to download a software update from the BMW website using the VIN tells me that the software is already up to date.

My friend has a 2016 BMW 5 Series with NBT Pro Nav, but this one allows the usage of the BMW Connected app over bluetooth and remotely, you can also buy services like RTTI too. The software version on his car is NBT_N16094A.

These two cars both have NBT, why is the functionality different? Can the Mini be updated to the newer NBT with some coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 04:45 AM   #2
f31shadow_lincs
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Touring (F31)

Garage List
I think its a software decision by BMW to not give older cars the functionality of the newer cars.

I had a 2016 F22 2 Series Coupe with NBT ID4 Pro Nav and the App was only of any use when plugged in via USB. I recently picked up an F31 with NBT EVO ID6 and all of this functionality is there, despite it having a lesser spec system.

Best bet is to contact Mini/BMW and see if they can advise why you cant add it.

As it is a 2015 I am assuming it is a pre-owned vehicle, could it be something as simple as the previous owner not disassociating the vehicle from their profile??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Here I can only recommend contacting BMW Connecteddrive Service.
Because, with a 2015 model, it has to work.
As already said, maybe the previous owner is still registered for the car.
Appreciate 0