BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
dcchris311
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i PB/C

Garage List
  [10.00]
Adpative suspension and lowering

Hello,

I haven't seen a thread dedicated thread regarding Adaptive M suspension and lowering springs.
So my question is this, will Adaptive M suspension give errors/faults? Have a difficult time controlling the dampening? Will there be significant change between driving in comfort/sport/+ mode compared to when you had stock springs to aftermarket springs?

Those who have swapped springs please chime in! I’m looking to lowering my M40i in a few months after I take delivery this upcoming week.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Torinalth
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 x3 M40i

Garage List
If its just lowering springs, there is no issue with errors. You only get errors when you replace the struts, and even then only if you don't properly terminate them. companies like KW have termination solutions to prevent errors. They also have systems that integrate into our adaptive system so you can still have the adjustment, just on different coilovers.

the difference you feel between the driving modes should still be there. you are not changing the struts you are just changing the springs alone which have nothing to do with the adjustable portion. I've heard some people say that lowering springs are uncomfortable on non adaptive and just fine on adaptive suspension, but I'm not sure if I've seen any people in the X3 platform actually confirm that. It seems like more of a transitive property from the 3 series people.

I'm considering it as well, but i'm quite a ways out as I finishing up the engine side first. Even then I'm leaning into the KW adaptive coilovers as a direct replacement.... but who knows when the time comes.
      06-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I've lowered my adaptive suspension X4 with H&Rs. There are no faults. I'm not really sure what you're asking re controlling dampening. Post-installation, I dialed back my suspension settings by one to give the same drive quality around town (I drive in Comfort rather than Sport).

Zero issues and a much better look imo . . .
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
msg61750.50
AlexFL7838.00
      06-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I've lowered my adaptive suspension X4 with H&Rs. There are no faults. I'm not really sure what you're asking re controlling dampening. Post-installation, I dialed back my suspension settings by one to give the same drive quality around town (I drive in Comfort rather than Sport).

Yes agree, X4 look much better lowered
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcchris311 View Post
Have a difficult time controlling the dampening? Will there be significant change between driving in comfort/sport/+ mode compared to when you had stock springs to aftermarket springs?
Typically you will be fitting springs with a higher spring rate, that will change the damping abilities, fixed or adaptive.

Guys lowering the 3/4 series, find the comfort adaptive setting can be more or less unusable, due to the damping being mismatched. Hence also upgrading to Dinan Shockware.

Look at it this way, for the Comfort/Sport damping to be balanced, the characteristic damping maps need to be tuned 'around' the spring rate. Comfort will therefore be slightly underdamped, Sport slightly overdamped. There has to be a compromise, unless you have 3 settings, like some models in the BMW range.

Now change to a shorter/stiffer spring, Comfort mode will be really underdamped, Sport may be closer to optimum, (closer matched).

The way to get the damping back to the best compromise, (around the spring rate), you really need the Shockware type upgrade.

Here in the UK, (3/4 series experience) many have said Sport is better matched to a higher spring rate, but that leaves Comfort underdamped, so they don't use it.

Same principles apply to the X3. Road quality will make a difference to how it is assessed, bad roads are more likely to show the deficiencies, particularly in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post

Looks great! I would also replace the orange reflectors. Since you are going for the sporty look and have that black stripes on the side, maybe a gloss black rear wing or lip would also be a nice addition.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      06-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Rockmanpop
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My X3 M40i has Eibach springs fitted. No issues in the 8 months or so since they were installed.
Appreciate 0