Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i Car tax after Lockdown

06-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Unhappy M340i Car tax after Lockdown

For those of you who have received new cars in lockdown after April 1st, what has the dealer done re car tax.

Mine was arranged for delivery on March 30th when the car tax was £540 (it was the salesman's idea to rush to beat it which was great!)

It arrived in the country on March 23rd ok and all was set up ok until the Covid Lockdown happened.

Now the car tax is £1305 due to the new WLTP regs!

My salesman is back on Monday to arrange collection of my car on Thursday hopefully but the sales manager has already mentioned the extra money I have to pay! He said it is not his fault or my fault but that I have to pay it!!!!

Has anyone had any better solutions from their dealer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Bmwnewbie2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
For those of you who have received new cars in lockdown after April 1st, what has the dealer done re car tax.

Mine was arranged for delivery on March 30th when the car tax was £540 (it was the salesman's idea to rush to beat it which was great!)

It arrived in the country on March 23rd ok and all was set up ok until the Covid Lockdown happened.

Now the car tax is £1305 due to the new WLTP regs!

My salesman is back on Monday to arrange collection of my car on Thursday hopefully but the sales manager has already mentioned the extra money I have to pay! He said it is not his fault or my fault but that I have to pay it!!!!

Has anyone had any better solutions from their dealer?

Thanks
Not sure what solutions there are. It is no one‘a fault. Can’t see the dealer stumping up the cost (or why he would think he should!). I think you will be stuck with paying the extra.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Wow that last 1 g/km on the G21 M340i's total of 191 is pretty darn expensive isn't it!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It is very expensive for the original buyer but you can do nothing about it now. And it shows the folly of how this system works. Hardly fair. I know I could get a 320d or 330e but my mileage is very low so fuel consumption and overall emissions will be low per year.

I am just checking if anyone has had any bright ideas or ways to avoid it so far, I pay enough tax as it is!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
It is very expensive for the original buyer but you can do nothing about it now. And it shows the folly of how this system works. Hardly fair. I know I could get a 320d or 330e but my mileage is very low so fuel consumption and overall emissions will be low per year.

I am just checking if anyone has had any bright ideas or ways to avoid it so far, I pay enough tax as it is!!!
They need to mild hybrid that sucker, and get it 2g lower
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #6
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I would call their bluff and see what happens. They need your car gone and there would have been some more margin in your car to them. They may be able to speak to BMW and claim something back off of them.
I know it's not their fault, clearly, but I still think you're in a strong position. You budgeted for the pre tax increase and the delivery was booked which must clearly help you. If it wasn't booked for pre April then you would struggle. I'd be amazed if they would lose a car sale over some extra tax, they won't. Holding firm tomorrow would be my tactic without doubt.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

That’s why I rushed to buy mine to avoid that increase and to get the lower co2 for work, only allowed 170, pre April the car is allowable, post April it isn’t !?

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

I'd be demanding they at least pay half of the increase!

Mine was £340 more as they didn't register it in time but thankfully the lease company covered it. I wasn't sure they would though.
      06-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #9
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It is bonkers that the same car and engine attracts £765 more tax by being registered a day later. Mine was all set for pickup on March 30th and British Car Auctions were collecting my 535d that day too. It is still sitting on my drive sadly. Let us hope they will agree to help with the cost somehow. I did get a good deal on the car as a loyal customer!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

My dealer absorbed the increase. I know a few other people who had deliveries due in March that didn’t happen until after the increase and none of them have paid the increase.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:22 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
My dealer absorbed the increase. I know a few other people who had deliveries due in March that didn’t happen until after the increase and none of them have paid the increase.
Same with me. Initially my dealer said I'd have to pay the extra but I pushed back and they adjusted their discount to cover the increase; therefore, although I was charged the new rate of VED, the net price I paid for the car remained the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:37 AM   #12
Andy-1878
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Xdrive

If the cars arrived with dealers before April 1st but it was known you'd not be able to collect I'd have asked to have it registered then the collection date wouldn't have been an issue. Not sure where people stand for cars that were delayed on build and then missed the 1st April.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine was days away from delivery to the dealers. I think from memory we went into lockdown on the Monday and I was expecting to collect my and the wifes car the following Saturday. In the end they were both stuck in a UK distribution centre for over 2 months.

My wife's collected her car on the 2nd of June and mine on the 13 despite mine being ordered 2 months before
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Optimistic suggestion coming up

Discuss with your MP. Explain how keen you are on the new tax scheme and how it will save the planet. Explain the unfortunate circumstances surrounding people's health and the bold attempts to minimise financial disadvantage by the government. Explain how the intended new tax date has done little to achieve it's intentions because new car sales were effectively stopped. Explain how important it is to reinvigorate the economy. And then explain how changing the effective date of the change for those people with orders in the system, cars that have been produced, cars that have been near-enough delivered could take advantage of the postponed date. Explain what a good news story that would make. And how he/she/they could call upon your future support at polling time.

And if they say no - you've lost nothing except your pride
      06-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-1878 View Post
If the cars arrived with dealers before April 1st but it was known you'd not be able to collect I'd have asked to have it registered then the collection date wouldn't have been an issue. Not sure where people stand for cars that were delayed on build and then missed the 1st April.
You could have done that but registration would have obliged the payment of any deposit balance - which would have been the full value of the car if you weren't financing - or, if you were financing, payments would have become payable under your agreement. So either way you'd have been paying out for a car you didn't have and, at the time, didn't know when you were going to get - not ideal then! In my case I'd timed my order in part to avoid the increase in VED and once I reminded my dealer of that there was no issue; legally they had to charge me the new rate but they just adjusted the discount so the amount I paid was the same as I'd agreed originally.

And to be honest it's probably a non-story now anyway - I'd have thought any cars due to be registered by 31st March but delayed by lockdown will have been delivered to their owners by now?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #16
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-1878 View Post
Who exactly was going register it considering the dealers and staff went into lockdown?

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Optimistic suggestion coming up

Discuss with your MP. Explain how keen you are on the new tax scheme and how it will save the planet. Explain the unfortunate circumstances surrounding people's health and the bold attempts to minimise financial disadvantage by the government. Explain how the intended new tax date has done little to achieve it's intentions because new car sales were effectively stopped. Explain how important it is to reinvigorate the economy. And then explain how changing the effective date of the change for those people with orders in the system, cars that have been produced, cars that have been near-enough delivered could take advantage of the postponed date. Explain what a good news story that would make. And how he/she/they could call upon your future support at polling time.

And if they say no - you've lost nothing except your pride
Greta said no
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #18
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I had to pay it in the end. I pushed and pushed but was told the dealer group had said they were not covering it for anyone as they had a load in the same boat as me. I had to pay £775 extra in the end which was very annoying indeed.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:57 AM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I had to pay it in the end. I pushed and pushed but was told the dealer group had said they were not covering it for anyone as they had a load in the same boat as me. I had to pay £775 extra in the end which was very annoying indeed.
That is annoying but perhaps it's indicative you did a good job of negotiating the price in the first place? If my dealer could just increase the discount to cover the additional VED that perhaps suggests I'd left money on the table to start with!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #20
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol! I did do well in my negotiations which was mentioned!!!
Appreciate 0