F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Strange new CIC functionality
ARMA SPEED

05-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Strange new CIC functionality

Hi all,

I have a CIC headunit in my F30 which has the combox and telematics. I bought the car last year and I was able to access some basic online services and update the services available to the car. It would always use the built in combox.

Now I have noticed that it is using my mobile phone Bluetooth to tether and obtain data, which was definitely not the case before! I haven’t changed any options to enable this in coding either.

I currently use an android head unit, so I don’t use the CIC side for anything these days. I’m just curious as to why this has happened. Have BMW pushed an update to all cars with the older combox to force them to use Bluetooth? I believe the car is 2G or 3G, so is this perhaps a measure to continue functionality whilst removing reliance on the ageing inbuilt tech?

I’ve also noticed the connected drive app now says the car is likely to be incompatible and won’t let me add my vin.

Overall, doesn’t impact me but I thought it odd! Anyone else seen the same behaviour?
Appreciate 0