F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > How to play DVD videos?
proTUNING Freaks

04-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
Alek_m
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-series F30

How to play DVD videos?

Hello BMW lovers!

I have bought an used BMW 320d, 2012. one year ago, and since then have not found a good way to play videos in my car. Video in motion is unlocked (that's how I bought the car).

I have tried to play from USB (both FAT32 and NTFS) many different video files formats (mp4, avi, wmv, mov, flv, wma). I was able to see only mp4 and wma, but could not play them because of the error ''Could not play the file''. I tried both USB slots (gloves box and armrest). Then a local amateur coding guy told me that only 2014 or newer BMW cars can play videos from USB.

I moved on and started looking for an alternative, and saw that I can play normal DVD movies even in motion. So I wanted to burn as many music videos as possible on DVD disc and play them.

- First I burned simple Data DVD disc in Nero with .mp4 music video files. That did not work at all... Then I found out that only .vob files can be recognized by BMW and my multimedia hardware. I found a way to convert and burn .vob files on the disc but the problem is that I can't see file title, instead of that I can only see ''Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3...'' and I can't change the song simply by pressing on ''Play next chapter''. Instead of that I have to do it on a complicated way, which can be distracting while driving, and is not safe... you can see how it looks here. I have to press Options, then go to Other Options, then Select title.

you can see how it looks here

Anyone here knows what software can I use to burn DVD discs and how to change videos faster/easier than this? I look forward to hearing from you!

-------------

Another question - Bluetooth does not play music from my phone. I don't have any option to enable or disable that, so I assume that my multimedia hardware in car does not support that. Or am I wrong? Phone calls work perfectly fine though and I am happy to have that feature
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #2
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek_m View Post
Hello BMW lovers!

I have bought an used BMW 320d, 2012. one year ago, and since then have not found a good way to play videos in my car. Video in motion is unlocked (that's how I bought the car).

I have tried to play from USB (both FAT32 and NTFS) many different video files formats (mp4, avi, wmv, mov, flv, wma). I was able to see only mp4 and wma, but could not play them because of the error ''Could not play the file''. I tried both USB slots (gloves box and armrest). Then a local amateur coding guy told me that only 2014 or newer BMW cars can play videos from USB.

I moved on and started looking for an alternative, and saw that I can play normal DVD movies even in motion. So I wanted to burn as many music videos as possible on DVD disc and play them.

- First I burned simple Data DVD disc in Nero with .mp4 music video files. That did not work at all... Then I found out that only .vob files can be recognized by BMW and my multimedia hardware. I found a way to convert and burn .vob files on the disc but the problem is that I can't see file title, instead of that I can only see ''Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3...'' and I can't change the song simply by pressing on ''Play next chapter''. Instead of that I have to do it on a complicated way, which can be distracting while driving, and is not safe... you can see how it looks here. I have to press Options, then go to Other Options, then Select title.

you can see how it looks here

Anyone here knows what software can I use to burn DVD discs and how to change videos faster/easier than this? I look forward to hearing from you!

-------------

Another question - Bluetooth does not play music from my phone. I don't have any option to enable or disable that, so I assume that my multimedia hardware in car does not support that. Or am I wrong? Phone calls work perfectly fine though and I am happy to have that feature
Bluetooth multimedia wasnt available prior to 2014 (I think) by default.

Unlocking enhanced Bluetooth via esys or bimmercode might work
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
Alek_m
Rep

'Might work' is not enough. I would like to know how to burn DVD disc and how to easily change music videos from that disc. I also want to ask if anyone knows where to find changelog for software. I would like to know if software update is really necessary for my car
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
nitsuj17
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek_m View Post
'Might work' is not enough. I would like to know how to burn DVD disc and how to easily change music videos from that disc. I also want to ask if anyone knows where to find changelog for software. I would like to know if software update is really necessary for my car
I said might work because I don't have your model year to personally confirm. Ebt should unlock bt streaming but I can't 100% guarantee something I can't test as my car came with bt streaming by default

It's $20 for an esys cable or $32 for bimmercode and $10 for the obd connector to be able to code your car. Most people here have 1 or the other
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Alek_m
Rep

I am not sure if bluetooth can stream video. That is what I want. I have USB stick with songs on it, but I can play mp3 only. I would like to play video instead
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
RobiCobi24
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D F31

I also have a F31 from 2014 and I don't know what video file type I can play from a USB stick. Does it work if I use the USB jack in the glove box instead of the middle console one ?
Appreciate 0