BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Driver seat headrest - move back and forth

Is there an option to push the headrest back and forth? Looks like it's only possible to move it up and down. I'm I missing anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
With the multi-contour seats it's possible to adjust only the upper part of the seat back (including headrest) forward and back, but I don't think there's a tilt function on the headrest itself.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekarthik View Post
Is there an option to push the headrest back and forth? Looks like it's only possible to move it up and down. I'm I missing anything?
If I remember correctly, there is a black button on the headrest (the medial side) when you press it and hold it then you should be able to move it back and forth if you do not have the multi contour seats option. Check it out! Enjoy your ride in good health!!
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the quick response! I do have the multi contour seat and it moves the entire top-back portion back and forth. Becoming a minor inconvenience, but I am sure I just need to find the sweet spot so the shoulder can rest without the head pushed to the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
You do bring up an interesting point - I have the multi-contour seats, and inspecting the headrests there is a slot cut out on the underside in front of the supporting columns - that looks and feels like it was specifically designed for rearward travel of the headrests, although I could find no such adjustment lever, button or knob. Curiouser and curiouser....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
You do bring up an interesting point - I have the multi-contour seats, and inspecting the headrests there is a slot cut out on the underside in front of the supporting columns - that looks and feels like it was specifically designed for rearward travel of the headrests, although I could find no such adjustment lever, button or knob. Curiouser and curiouser....
Yeah, I noticed that too. May be they use the same parts used in other set-up and with the multi-contour set-up the rails seem non-functional.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I started a thread a while back about this. Consensus is they don't adjust, and it's the dumbest design ever.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too. May be they use the same parts used in other set-up and with the multi-contour set-up the rails seem non-functional.

The additional slot length is required for gaining access to and replacing the crash-activated gas-actuator in the head restraint.

Replacing gas generator for left or right crash-active head restraint
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ort/1Vnd7IH1KE

Name:  1VnYNwcucs.png
Views: 10441
Size:  39.0 KB

The interior of crash-activated head restraint comprises of complex, spring-driven mechanical operating units activated by a pyro-actuator. As soon as the pyro-actuator ignites, it propels a release stick moving a release plate and setting two adjustment springs free. The springs, in turn, move the impact plate and the head restraint padding both forward and upward. The crash-activated headrests move up to 60 millimetres or 2.36" forward and up to 40 millimetres or 1.57" upward.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 13859
Size:  713.9 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 01-04-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 4
      01-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:

The additional slot length is required for gaining access to and replacing the crash-activated gas-actuator in the headrest.

Replacing gas generator for left or right crash-active head restraint
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ort/1Vnd7IH1KE

Attachment 2211967

The interior of crash-activated headrests comprises of complex, spring-driven mechanical operating units activated by a pyro-actuator. As soon as the pyro-actuator ignites, it propels a release stick moving a release plate and setting two adjustment springs free. The springs, in turn, move the impact plate and the headrest padding both forward and upward. The crash-activated headrests move up to 60 millimetres or 2.36" forward and up to 40 millimetres or 1.57" upward.

Attachment 2211964
Good to know but I don't think the rails were exclusively designed to gain access to the interior, if you think about it. May be it was designed as a rail to move back and forth and the same opening was used to gain access. And with the multi-contour seats instead of redesigning they just used the same opening. But it still begs the question why not just add the option to move the headrest alone back and forth. Seems like an oversight for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to know but I don't think the rails were exclusively designed to gain access to the interior, if you think about it. May be it was designed as a rail to move back and forth and the same opening was used to gain access. And with the multi-contour seats instead of redesigning they just used the same opening. But it still begs the question why not just add the option to move the headrest alone back and forth. Seems like an oversight for sure.
BMW introduced revised crash-activated head restraint in the X5 in 2007 - second variant of the crash-activated head restraint was developed for BMW's comfort seats, in this case featuring side supports stretching along the entire height of the headrest padding. This new version replaces the former active head restraints on the comfort seats. This is comfort seat padding that is what we have on the new G05.

The rail slotting part of these headrests is designed to gain access to the interior. You have to detach it and slide it down the extended railing. The slot in the head restraint cover allows for that. See the enlarged:

Name:  RB6201052.PNG
Views: 10505
Size:  1.31 MB

Last edited by Auricom; 01-04-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 5
Paladin15574.00
screamace303.50
volodp199.50
timmahh484.00
jonatious250.50
      01-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

We have a winner...again...Auricom!

Wow, I keep getting impressed with the technology this car has to offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It is designed to gain access to the interior. You have to detach it and slide it down the extended railing. The slot in the comfort allows for that. See the enlarged:

Attachment 2211973
I agree, but not "exclusively" designed for access only. Do you think of any reason why the adjustment option was not implemented?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but not "exclusively" designed for access only.

Until there's information that disputes the information provided for G05/06 multi-contour crash-activated front head restraints, we're going to agree to disagree.

Last edited by Auricom; 01-04-2020 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #14
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Going to provide additional information for adjusting the head rests for owners with Sport Seating.

The button on the head restraints provides height adjustment. The head restraint does not tilt in any way.

Fore position is achieved by increasing the head restraint height
Aft position is achieved by decreasing the head restraint height

Note video is for G01/02 but it's identical to the G05 with Sport Seats.

The crash-activated Sport Seating head restraint moves up and forward in crash test:

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 10212
Size:  771.1 KB

Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 10218
Size:  807.1 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 07-19-2020 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going to provide additional information for adjusting the head rests for owners with Sport Seating.

The button on the head rests provides height adjustment.

Fore position is achieved by increasing the head rest height
Aft position is achieved by decreasing the head rest height

Note video is for G01/02 but it's identical to the G05 with Sport Seats.

The crash-activated Sport Seating head restraint moves up and forward:

Attachment 2211993

Attachment 2211994
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #16
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think of any reason why the adjustment option was not implemented?
In a crash you want your head restraint to provide the optimal or largest amount of contact to cushion the back of your head in a crash - not angled forward in a way that provides minimal contact and increase neck and whiplash injury.

Given that the G05/06 active-crash comfort head restraints move up and front cushions pop forward - my thought is that what's why it's fixed for that reasoning.

Have you tried adjusting the head restraint cushions forward? Grab the left and right edges of the cushion and gently pull forward.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #17
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think of any reason why the adjustment option was not implemented?
In a crash you want your head restraint to provide the optimal or largest amount of contact to cushion the back of your head in a crash - not angled forward in a way that provides minimal contact and increase neck and whiplash injury.

Given that the G05/06 active-crash comfort head restraints move up and front cushions pop forward - my thought is that what's why it's fixed for that reasoning.

Have you tried adjusting the head restraint cushions forward? Grab the left and right edges of the cushion and gently pull forward.
My issue is that the headrest is already way too forward and crumpling the headrest cushion together doesn't help. I get the rail is there for the headrest to move backwards in the event of a crash but I wish there is an option to move it like we have on the sports seats. I saw another 2020 328i with a basic seat option has this feature.

Do you know if the issue only with multi contour seats?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #18
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My person experience with multi-contour seating, since my 2001 E38 740i Sport, 2003 BMW 540iT M Sport LCI, E53 X5, 2006 E53 X5 4.8is, 2011 E70 X5 LCI, 2017 F15 X5, 2020 M550i to G05, has been that head restraints have never had a fore/aft adjustment l - only fixed.

M Sport seats and M Multifunction seats also don't have fore/aft adjustment.

I've been able to find an optimal seating position - combination of recommended head restraint height, upper back rest tilt, back rest tilt - where I can comfortably rest my head against the head restraint ok long trips.

While it maybe perceived as an issue, there maybe hasn't been enough consumer/market insight and feedback for designers and engineers to adjust the design for the past 2 decades.

Perhaps they intended the upper back rest fore-aft tilt adjustment as parity to the head restraint fore-aft adjustment in sport seats.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #19
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My person experience with multi-contour seating since my 2001 E38 740i Sport, 2003 BMW 540iT M Sport LCI, E53 X5, 2006 E53 X5 4.8is, 2011 E70 X5 LCI, 2017 F15 X5, 2020 M550i to G05 that the multi-contour head restraints have never had a fore/aft adjustment only fixed.

I've been able to find an optimal seating position - combination of recommended head restraint height, upper back rest tilt, back rest tilt - where I can comfortably rest my head against the head restraint ok long trips.

While it maybe perceived as an issue, there perhaps hasn't been enough consumer/market feedback to design and engineer adjust its design the past

Perhaps they intended the upper back rest fore-aft tilt adjustment as parity to the head restraint fore-aft adjustment in sport seats.
You are right. It's probably a matter of finding the right adjustments. I like to lean back so my shoulder rests on the seat.

I don't mind the lack of support to move the head rest back and forth. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the headrest is too forward to begin with, that you feel you are hunching when you lean all the way back to rest your shoulders.

I think the headrest should be aligned with the level of the seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #20
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are right. It's probably a matter of finding the right adjustments. I like to lean back so my shoulder rests on the seat.

I don't mind the lack of support to move the head rest back and forth. That's not the issue.

The issue is that the headrest is too forward to begin with, that you feel you are hunching when you lean all the way back to rest your shoulders.

I think the headrest should be aligned with the level of the seat.
Ahhh, gotcha. I like the sit the same way.

I did find that I have to tilt my backrest a bit more than usual and then tilt the upper backrest forward to maintain the 90 degree elbow bend.

Perhaps try extending the steering wheel a bit to adjust the reach?

Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #21
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

alpinekarthik it just seems to maybe (maybe I’m wrong) that the position you want to achieve is not correct. It seems from your photo that you’re trying too much leaning back in your lower part while it’s not good neither for the driving capabilities nor for your back I believe.

I believe the seats are made to allow resting your shoulders and head the way you should be doing that.

Check out the real sport seats (I mean like in real racing car) - they are always in very much vertical position.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #22
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
alpinekarthik it just seems to maybe (maybe I'm wrong) that the position you want to achieve is not correct. It seems from your photo that you're trying too much leaning back in your lower part while it's not good neither for the driving capabilities nor for your back I believe.

I believe the seats are made to allow resting your shoulders and head the way you should be doing that.

Check out the real sport seats (I mean like in real racing car) - they are always in very much vertical position.
That means the shoulders will never touch the seats. I was exaggerating a little in the picture to emphasize that point. Sorry I'm not clear what you mean.
Appreciate 0