THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video - High Plains Raceway M235i xdrive

11-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
nubbster927
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW M235xi

Video - High Plains Raceway M235i xdrive

Just did my first day at High Plains Raceway near Denver, CO this past weekend and had a blast. The elevation changes really add an extra layer of fun to the track.

My car was on RE71R 245/45/17 tires. No mods other than wheel/tires and high temp brake fluid (RBF 600 stock brake pads). I do have camber plates, but was on stock alignment. Unfortunately my car hit limp mode during my fourth session (ambient temps around 65F) but brakes held up throughout the day.

The track was crowded enough that I only really got 3 clean laps the whole day, but I managed a 2:08.

With a more aggressive alignment and better driving, I think a 2:06 should be possible!

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbster927 View Post
Unfortunately my car hit limp mode during my fourth session

The track was crowded enough that I only really got 3 clean laps the whole day
Low fuel level (e.g., <=½ tank of fuel on a right-hand sweeper)?

If it was a novice group, drivers are typically traveling at all sorts of speeds, and it's not uncommon to get held up a lot if you're one of the faster drivers. In higher run groups you tend to get point-bys in a timely fashion, and you flow around the slower drivers without losing much time at all.

If the club simply overloaded the groups (some do), you can always look for another club to run with.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
nubbster927
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think it was simple overheating, not low fuel. It hit limp mode at the end of the straight, and then went completely back to normal after cooling down.

And you're absolutely right. Being my first track day in this car I ran in the "slow" group, but I think the "fast" group would have been more appropriate. I was a little intimidated by the 911 GT3s, Corvette Z06s, Ariel Atoms, etc. but I think I would have kept reasonable pace in retrospect. Just lessons for next time!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbster927 View Post
Just did my first day at High Plains Raceway near Denver, CO this past weekend and had a blast. The elevation changes really add an extra layer of fun to the track.

My car was on RE71R 245/45/17 tires. No mods other than wheel/tires and high temp brake fluid (RBF 600 stock brake pads). I do have camber plates, but was on stock alignment. Unfortunately my car hit limp mode during my fourth session (ambient temps around 65F) but brakes held up throughout the day.

The track was crowded enough that I only really got 3 clean laps the whole day, but I managed a 2:08.

With a more aggressive alignment and better driving, I think a 2:06 should be possible!

What wheels are you running? It seems like the 245/45/17's are the max size without much suspension work etc. I am currently running the stock 225's and want to go upto this size. How did you like the grip?

As far as limp mode, think a bigger/better intercooler would make a difference?
      12-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
nubbster927
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
What wheels are you running? It seems like the 245/45/17's are the max size without much suspension work etc. I am currently running the stock 225's and want to go upto this size. How did you like the grip?

As far as limp mode, think a bigger/better intercooler would make a difference?
Wheels are TR Motorsport C4s (from Tire Rack), 17x8 all around. Grip is a huge step up, but probably more due to the compound change rather than tire size.

I'm sure an aftermarket intercooler would make a big difference. I'll have to look into the track threads and see what people have been running.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Absolutely love HPR... I run my X1 (yes I said X1) in HPDE with NASA Rocky Mountain.

Pueblo is a fun track as well.