F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual Mode less responsive than S
Studio RSR

10-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Manual Mode less responsive than S

I’ve been driving more with the transmission in Sport Auto mode and noticing that Sport Auto seems to be shifting gears faster and crispier than Manual mode and even feels like the acceleration and throttle response is crispier in this mode.

Drive mode also set to Sport or Sport+

Does anyone else agree and know why this is? Or could it be that I’m so used to Manual mode that this is placebo effect?

Last edited by McLaren720s; 10-25-2019 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Maybe you are shifting manually in comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
It's my understanding that moving the shifter to the left to go into manual mode only changes the shift points, keeping the transmission in lower gears a bit longer. Engaging sport mode does too this but also increases the throttle response, IE more fuel is delivered when you push the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
It's my understanding that moving the shifter to the left to go into manual mode only changes the shift points, keeping the transmission in lower gears a bit longer. Engaging sport mode does too this but also increases the throttle response, IE more fuel is delivered when you push the gas pedal.
Moving the shifter to the left puts it in S mode. If you shift by moving the shift lever up or down this engages manual mode. You can also use the paddles if you have them. Using the paddles in D only puts you in manual mode temporarily but will go back to D if you don't shift for a few seconds. It may shift faster in sport mode whether in S or D. How the throttle and shifting behave in sport plus varies depending on what car you have.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
I’ve been driving more with the transmission in Sport Auto mode and noticing that Sport Auto seems to be shifting gears faster and crispier than Manual mode and even feels like the acceleration and throttle response is crispier in this mode.

Does anyone else agree and know why this is? Or could it be that I’m so used to Manual mode that this is placebo effect?
"Sport 'Auto' mode", do you mean you toggle to Sport mode, with the shifter in S, (M/S position)? Or simply the shifter in S? What are your iDrive Sport settings? Drivetrain and/or Chassis?

How it is configured and what combinations you use can make a difference to how it feels. Most likely it is the throttle programming which you are noticing. You can have Manual shifting, with or without a sensitive throttle response, according to the settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's my thinking, we need to know the settings the OP is using.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
"Sport 'Auto' mode", do you mean you toggle to Sport mode, with the shifter in S, (M/S position)? Or simply the shifter in S? What are your iDrive Sport settings? Drivetrain and/or Chassis?

How it is configured and what combinations you use can make a difference to how it feels. Most likely it is the throttle programming which you are noticing. You can have Manual shifting, with or without a sensitive throttle response, according to the settings.
I am always using Sport or Sport+ drive mode with shifter to M/S.

If I engage paddle shifters (M mode) the car doesn’t seem to feel as crisp as the Sport Auto (S mode) where the car shifts automatically when the shifter is in M/S. Paddle shifting basically doesn’t seem to be as crisp compared to the car shifting itself in M/S auto
      10-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

If I engage paddle shifters (M mode) the car doesn’t seem to feel as crisp as the Sport Auto (S mode) where the car shifts automatically when the shifter is in M/S. Paddle shifting basically doesn’t seem to be as crisp compared to the car shifting itself in M/S auto
If you have Drivetrain checked, there should be fast and crisp shifts in both S and Manual mode. Any difference in using the shifter vs. paddles? Wondering if you have sluggish (slight delay) in paddle action.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

My thoughts are that the shifts in automatic may seem (or actually be?) faster or more crisp due the the transmissions shifting at a point it has determined to be the most optimal, whereas in manual mode you're telling it to shift regardless of what the conditions are. Many factors are considered when the transmission is deciding when to shift, I read that it analyzes the rate at which the gas pedal is being depressed or lifted, for example if you rapidly lift your foot up compared to slowly lifting then it may anticipate a slowdown or braking condition and prepare to downshift.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My thoughts are that the shifts in automatic may seem (or actually be?) faster or more crisp due the the transmissions shifting at a point it has determined to be the most optimal, whereas in manual mode you're telling it to shift regardless of what the conditions are. Many factors are considered when the transmission is deciding when to shift, I read that it analyzes the rate at which the gas pedal is being depressed or lifted, for example if you rapidly lift your foot up compared to slowly lifting then it may anticipate a slowdown or braking condition and prepare to downshift.
This makes perfect sense and is exactly what I’ve been thinking as well.
      10-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When I shift manually from 1st to second it can jerk the car quite a bit at lower speeds. So I usually move it back into d and let it shift on its own. Then I throw it back into S/M.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm assuming you are driving manually, to replicate the auto shifting as close as is possible. Same throttle application for manual shifting, as leaving the box to change itself.

Agree with the other comments, there are many variables to consider.
Appreciate 0