XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

08-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
vabeachbum33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport

coolant leak near transmission pan

I have been trying to trace a coolant leak for some time now. I eventually took of the plastic under carriage and found the leak at the passenger side of the transmission oil pan. What system sends coolant back there?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
vabeachbum33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport

umm please...

I still can not find the location of this leak. I am getting a p0128 code and coolant is definitely being lost. I have checked my oil and it does not appear that the coolant is finding its way into it. i have continued to watch the water pump and thermostat but i see no leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
AlanX1228i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 228i

I’ve been having the same problem. I have a 2015 N20. However I think I may have located my problem minutes ago.

While replacing the thermostat a few weeks ago I notice some residue built up in and around some of the hoses (one in particular)from the thermostat up to the oil filter area and the hose that returns back from the radiator area, also a bit down around the belt area. I cleaned this off while changing thermostat, then drove for a few days & checked...residue back.

I kept loosing coolant, never any signs of leak, no signs of water in oil, or undercarriage tray...None..except for that built up residue that wasn’t oil, but didn’t know what.- Only happens when ac on btw...but even then I make it about 30 miles and only loose I’d guess 1/8 cup.

My guess is this: my leak is seeping out of the hose(intermittently & under a/c on conditions), hitting the hot block, then evaporating.

I had a P0527 and low coolant happen a while back, finally replaced thermostat last week when wife was away for the holidays. I’m determined to find and fix this leak! I’m tired of no heat/ac on the commute! Hopefully without going to an Indy.

Any others experience this? Is there a cheap pressure tester device of some sort?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #4
proteus290
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 35I Ultimate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbum33 View Post
I still can not find the location of this leak. I am getting a p0128 code and coolant is definitely being lost. I have checked my oil and it does not appear that the coolant is finding its way into it. i have continued to watch the water pump and thermostat but i see no leak.

had a coolant leak from that area also angled rubber coupling below right passenger side beside waterpump hose is attached to a metal tubing assembly goes into block near turbo ,

had a drip one day under car added fresh water, limped home ,water pump and thermo were due for replacement had them in project box, while apart noticed swollen hose has to be it! factory metal crimped band clamp on it, micro pin hole in it, was wet that was the leak ,

hose coupling on bottom of thermostat housing that goes up to preformed metal coolant tube had a swollen rubber coupling at the bottom of assembly on thermo
and a swollen hose with a pin hole in it angled rubber hose boot with assembly goes into hard preformed pipe was a special order from anywhere ftp has it in stock, improvised and made a hose fit snug fit was a battle

long metal tube that goes into block by turbo bout 130 bucks on n55 went to oreilly and found a rubber hose piece on the rack ,and cut out old band with die grinder and a cut off wheel as it was precrimped assembly with factory hose bands replaced with narrow hose clamps,bottom of car bad deal no room ,

leak fixed, bmw 11537584550 , 180 bucks ,ftp just needed the angled end hose piece not the assembly to get it running again that day

found a look alike rubber hose from Rein after i finished job

turbo coolant lines or orings ? too? in there lots of heat in that area?

proteus 290

Last edited by proteus290; 01-30-2020 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0