BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis tire size for daily driver and HPDE for 2019 m550i xdrive.

04-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
jborchart
Registered
Rep
Drives: m550i

tire size for daily driver and HPDE for 2019 m550i xdrive.

I have a 2019 M550i xdrive with dynamic handling package that I just got in December.

I have winter run-flats 245/40r19 all around.

The summer tires that came with the car (which I've never driven on) are staggered 245/35r20 and 275/30R20 run flats on 668M rims.

My current plan has me going to 4-5 HPDE events this year. Obviously I cannot drive the run-flats on a track.

Some People on these and other forums have also suggested that the staggered is not always a good choice for HPDE.

My research is saying that the Pilot 4S is probably the tire I want. However I'm looking for guidance for what size wheels and tires to get.

Any insight would be appreciated, esp from people who regularly go to HPDE's.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

How many events have you done so far? That will determine which tire you should run.
Will these tires be just for the track or will it be your daily tires too?

Each car is different in how they handle staggard vs square.
As for the wheels, get the smallest wheels that will fit over the brakes. The tires are usually cheaper and the wheel/tires will usually be lighter.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      04-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

You definitely can use the runflats on your first few track days. It will be easier to learn the limits of the car that way imo. On my first track day, my friend tried my car with half worn runflats and basically was passing everyone except the 911s. I suggest you just upgrade the brake pads so they don't fade like the stock ones and you'd be surprised how much potential the car has even with runflat tires!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #4
jborchart
Registered
Rep
Drives: m550i

I've done 2 two-day events and one one-day event. I had quite a few assurances that the run flats would disintegrate after about a day and a half, so I'm surprised to hear a different story. Great feedback.

I’d like to go as wide as I can, probably up to 275 up front. Possibly a 275/35 20x10 ET:30. But I think a 19 is probable based on some feedback from dealer. 19 is smallest that will fit over the brakes in an M550i

Whats the consensus on staggered for HPDE events?

I'll definitely get an extra set of brake pads, et al.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
Blue Gumby
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Has anyone figured out if 275 is possible in the front?
Appreciate 0