2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help with oil leak 2013 535i

04-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
hawkjr1
Retired US Army/Police Officer
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport, E-92

Garage List
Help with oil leak 2013 535i

I have a 2013 535i Sport model with 75440 miles. I saw a small puddle of oil on the garage floor today and I pulled the bottom cover on the car to see where the oil was leaking from. I found oil on the cat and on two black hoses under the radiator both located at the front of the car. The small puddle was on the passenger side. It could have been where the black hose were. I looked around the valve cover area and saw no leaks on the side but I couldn’t tell what was going on in the back. I also found a 2-3 inch crack on the passenger side valve cover near the first bolt on that side. The car has been sitting for about a week. If it’s the valve cover gasket have anyone done one of these that can you give me some pointers.
      04-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjr1 View Post
I have a 2013 535i Sport model with 75440 miles. I saw a small puddle of oil on the garage floor today and I pulled the bottom cover on the car to see where the oil was leaking from. I found oil on the cat and on two black hoses under the radiator both located at the front of the car. The small puddle was on the passenger side. It could have been where the black hose were. I looked around the valve cover area and saw no leaks on the side but I couldn’t tell what was going on in the back. I also found a 2-3 inch crack on the passenger side valve cover near the first bolt on that side. The car has been sitting for about a week. If it’s the valve cover gasket have anyone done one of these that can you give me some pointers.
This is for a X35, but you should get the idea...

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #3
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Can’t help you without pictures... a crack in the valve cover won’t be fixed by a gasket
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

I had oil leak and my visual inspection resulted in having more suspects than an answer.

It turned out I had multiple sources of leaks.

My turbo was burning oil causing leaks, it just cascaded into other problems.
Lower oil pan gasket failure
multiple hoses failure due to high turbo temperature. (Do yourself a favor let yoour car idle for 2 minutes prior to shutting off, it will save you a bundle)

In the end I had to open up the beast chest to face the truth, wishful thinking goes out the window once you face that Bimmers get very problematic and expensive as the miles pile up.

I decided to just face the music, do all the preventive replacements and work predicted for the next 30k miles ahead. I hope I do not crash and total the damn thing after all the work.

If you pay stealership each time you come across a little problem or major ones you are on a long trip to an empty wallet, because of little failed gasket somewhere under the turbocharges can cost you $3k easily, and I do not blame the suckers for charging this much as moving all the parts take risks and dozen of hours, if you miss one little thing, you have to go back and do the whole thing again.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
humbertob
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW M235i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerroad View Post
I had oil leak and my visual inspection resulted in having more suspects than an answer.

It turned out I had multiple sources of leaks.

My turbo was burning oil causing leaks, it just cascaded into other problems.
Lower oil pan gasket failure
multiple hoses failure due to high turbo temperature. (Do yourself a favor let yoour car idle for 2 minutes prior to shutting off, it will save you a bundle)

In the end I had to open up the beast chest to face the truth, wishful thinking goes out the window once you face that Bimmers get very problematic and expensive as the miles pile up.

I decided to just face the music, do all the preventive replacements and work predicted for the next 30k miles ahead. I hope I do not crash and total the damn thing after all the work.

If you pay stealership each time you come across a little problem or major ones you are on a long trip to an empty wallet, because of little failed gasket somewhere under the turbocharges can cost you $3k easily, and I do not blame the suckers for charging this much as moving all the parts take risks and dozen of hours, if you miss one little thing, you have to go back and do the whole thing again.
Wow !!!! This is the most negative post that I have been seen in years in a BMW forum ! Not much of a help here for sure !
'15 F30 335i M-Sport | Son's
'10 Porsche Boxster
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbertob View Post
Wow !!!! This is the most negative post that I have been seen in years in a BMW forum ! Not much of a help here for sure !
Seems to be the mantra of N63 owners. My two N55's are just fine; 86K on the 2012 and 52K on the 2014.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
If you want a quick fix grab some high temp jb weld, let sit for at least 24 hrs. Otherwise grab a new valve cover off ecstuning/fcpeuro. Its not a terrible job as most think it is. The only pain part is getting to the passenger side rear bolt near firewall. This is my 2nd time doing a valve cover on a BMW. From doing them myself I learned a lot and saved tons doing my own work. IF needed take pictures of everything or label everything where it goes thats the trick to doing jobs for the first time. If and when you plan on doing valve cover, make sure you order a new Crank case vent hose along with everything, those are known to crack easily. It will be getting to that point you will need to replace valve cover anyway due to wear of the pcv system thats built in the valve cover. Replacing this early at those miles will preserve your rear main seal and front main seal from tearing from excess crank case pressure. Wish you the best of luck! If any questions, hit me up on Instagram -> BurrNinja
Appreciate 0