BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2019, 04:04 AM   #1
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0i M Sport

Parking assistant

Hi,
Does this system work well and does it work on inclines? This is the first time I have had a car which as this option. I just have this fear that it will not stop itself and hit another car.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #2
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17 View Post
Hi,
Does this system work well and does it work on inclines? This is the first time I have had a car which as this option. I just have this fear that it will not stop itself and hit another car.

Pete
I've used it a few times in the Multi Storey parking in bays next to cars, I was surprised at how quick the car manoeuvres and how accurate it parked, I wouldn't use it all the time as I could probably park it quicker and in one go rather than the couple of shunts the car did itself, bit of a gimmick if you ask me, if the driver cant park the car themselves then they shouldn't be driving, its part of the test after all

If you get a bit of a twitchy backside when reversing you should just cover the brake and listen to the beepers and watch around, also if you let go of the P Button the car slams the anchors on.

I dont use it often as my other half also doesn't like it when I sit back with my finger on the P button and the car is doing it all

Last edited by tonyb15re; 02-26-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

I tested this feature on three new BMW in dealer lot when I was car shopping. They all parked themselves ok, but the way they moved back and forth with the higher-than-comfortable speed, and steering wheel rotating quickly, did give me sweaty palms afterwards for the anxiety that the car would wack a few other new BMW nearby in the process (they did not though).

Never test this once in my own car since I took delivery last October!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

When this was demonstrated to me in the dealer parking lot, it took such a long time to recognise a space, that in the real world someone behind me would have pinched the space.
      02-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Use it all the time. Does the job better and faster than me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Used it twice so far for parallel parking for the gimmick factor.

It's parked perfectly - but both times I've used the brake myself during the process as I couldn't cope with speed it was doing it at. It still carries on if you dab the brakes.

Both times it's left the car a smidge further out from the curb than I would park myself so no curb rash.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

I used it more than a dozen times!
Works perfectly for parallel parking, but for diagonal parking it misses the line sometimes.

I love how fast it turns the steering wheel and the speed it parks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #8
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
Showed the wife it once , got whiplash when it slammed the brakes on ,never used it again

It’s way too fast
      04-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
tbdbitl
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xdrive30i

Garage List
I'm happy with it

Have used it several times, and like anything of this nature, it takes some getting used to.

I have a couple of observations.....

1. I think it sees things differently than I expect, and so therefore it will park in places I'm not expecting, mostly in perpendicular parking spaces. If there is more than 1 empty parking space in a row, it went for a different one than what I expected.

2. On perpendicular parking, yo have to remember that it will back into the space, not pull in. If you need access to your Hatch/trunk, maybe you really want to forget about this, and just park head in.

3. I have been in a couple of places lately where there are head-in parking available that are on an angle (60 degree angle on the lines delineating your parking spot. Haven't tried it yet, but from what I can read, the PA+ will not work on this type of spot. This is a disappointment, as these types of spaces are becoming more common, it would seem because it eliminates the angst involved with backing a car into traffic to leave the parking place (in reverse), and rear vision is not the greatest. From what I can read, only parallel and perpendicular is supported. Maybe a future upgrade can handle this?

Jerry
Appreciate 0