F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW 440i GC xDrive - Help: I want pops and bangs!
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

BMW 440i GC xDrive - Help: I want pops and bangs!

Hi guys,

Ive got a 2018 440i GC.

I’ve read up on every single iteration of axlebacks / catbacks / res deletes / mid pipes / down pipes for the B58 but can’t seem to narrow down what exactly I’m looking for. Seems like most of the suggestions are full catback or bust (insanely priced up here in Canada), axlebacks only changing tone and being useless, midpipes being useless, etc....

What’s the best B58 mod solely for some pops, bangs and low-mid RPM fun (I don’t want any performance gains, just sound)?

edit: I should clarify I do not want to cut my factory system in any way

Last edited by FZ36; 02-13-2019 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9812 Moonstone Metallic

dual resonator delete/midpipe and catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKawi View Post
dual resonator delete/midpipe and catless downpipe.
Won’t this get the infamous CEL?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #4
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep

You can use an o2 extender or just flash the car which will prevent CEL and you'll have the option to set how aggressive you want your pops and bangs to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive GC

2018 is a fairly young vehicle that's still under warranty. If you aren't concerned, downpipe or flash tunes like the bootmod3 or Mission Performance burble tune will help you achieve this.

You have a GC like me, so that rules out almost all aftermarket midpipes, so your best bet is having a muffler shop customize one if you want to go this route.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitectonix View Post
2018 is a fairly young vehicle that's still under warranty. If you aren't concerned, downpipe or flash tunes like the bootmod3 or Mission Performance burble tune will help you achieve this.

You have a GC like me, so that rules out almost all aftermarket midpipes, so your best bet is having a muffler shop customize one if you want to go this route.
anything exhaust related from a B58 F32 fits the GC.......
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #7
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
anything from an F32 fits the GC.......
That's not what Dinan told me.

Do you have first hand experience? Would love to have someone who've installed 32 parts onto a 36 without issues. I have the Dinan axleback and have run into fitment issues with their pro installer confirming fitment problems with the 36. Would love to just get the Dinan midpipes and not have a shop customize a dual resonator delete, but when we spoke with Dinan directly, they said that the pipes would need to be shaped differently on the GC? FIY, mine is an xdrive, and am not sure if that makes any difference.

Here's my thread asking for anyone with any insight to this:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1581484
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's not what Dinan told me.

Do you have first hand experience? I have the Dinan axleback and have run into fitment issues with their pro installer. Would love to just get the Dinan midpipes and not have a shop customize a dual resonator delete, but when we spoke with Dinan directly, they said that the pipes would need to be shaped differently on the GC?
I dont see why that would be the case as the wheelbase between the F36 and F32 are the same. Structurally the only difference is the roof shape, doors, and trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I dont see why that would be the case as the wheelbase between the F36 and F32 are the same. Structurally the only difference is the roof shape, doors, and trunk.
*shrug*... just going by Dinan's word and what the shop foreman and I noticed on the lift.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #10
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately he’s right. I gave Dinan a call and here’s what the rep had to say:

“The Dinan midpipe wil unfortunately not fit any gran coupe models due to the pipe not being lengthy enough for the dimensions of the car. If you want my honest opinion, just go with a double res delete with a reputable shop and you will achieve roughly 99.9% of what our midpipe has to offer. When it comes to drone, YMMV with both our midpipe or a res delete.”

So... that kind of sucks. I was REALLY wanting to go the midpipe route via Dinan due to the price + reputation that won’t make my dealer flip out, but now idk what to do lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
*shrug*... just going by Dinan's word and what the shop foreman and I noticed on the lift.
I would hate to spend that much money to run into an issue like that. It's possible whoever made the pipe made a mistake but you would need to get another one to see if they really are made like that or if something went wrong during production. I would push for that.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ36 View Post
Unfortunately he’s right. I gave Dinan a call and here’s what the rep had to say:

“The Dinan midpipe wil unfortunately not fit any gran coupe models due to the pipe not being lengthy enough for the dimensions of the car. If you want my honest opinion, just go with a double res delete with a reputable shop and you will achieve roughly 99.9% of what our midpipe has to offer. When it comes to drone, YMMV with both our midpipe or a res delete.”

So... that kind of sucks. I was REALLY wanting to go the midpipe route via Dinan due to the price + reputation that won’t make my dealer flip out, but now idk what to do lol.
That's exactly what we were told too by Dinan; to have my pro installer or a good muffler shop do a dual res delete. They went as far as to suggest that I just do the axleback and see how I like the sound. I'm happy so far with just the axleback, but consent that more pops and bangs a la MPPSK would make it sound meaner. But I'm in no rush to have it done.

I personally don't think a dealer would flip out over a dual resonator delete. It's a very very mild modification compared to something like a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #13
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I would hate to spend that much money to run into an issue like that. It's possible whoever made the pipe made a mistake but you would need to get another one to see if they really are made like that or if something went wrong during production. I would push for that.
Yes, my pro installer just received another replacement axleback from Dinan. They said to 'try this one' but also claim that the exhausts are all built on a precise jig, so it would be fairly impossible to be not built properly from their manufacturer line.

ps , sorry to OP for thread hijacking.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ps , sorry to OP for thread hijacking.
Lol no worries, there are a lot of F36 owners out there who are probably in the same boat as us and there’s not nearly enough info online just yet.

Did your Dinan axleback provide you with noticeably better pops and bangs? Or is that more a function of the Downpipe/midpipe?

One more thing.. do all axlebacks inherently require cutting?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #15
arkitectonix
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lol no worries, there are a lot of F36 owners out there who are probably in the same boat as us and there’s not nearly enough info online just yet.

Did your Dinan axleback provide you with noticeably better pops and bangs? Or is that more a function of the Downpipe/midpipe?

One more thing.. do all axlebacks inherently require cutting?
The Dinan axleback did make more noticeable burbles in sport mode, but I did not notice any pops like the MPPSK. I assume doing resonator delete will bring out more pop, but the gunshot popping seems to be due to the flash tune that comes with the MPPSK total package. A caveat though, I’ve read on here that if you were to install the MPPSK now, the updated software has reduced the gunshot pops significantly.

And yes, all axlebacks will require cutting. Only a full catback is bolt on.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #16
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

That's a damn shame. Back to square one unless someone else has experience with the F36
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #17
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I had midpipe with the MP tune - burble and wild gunshots in sport and sport+ and mellow gunshot free etc.... when in comfort / those two things were my only mods (also kept my exhaust flap opened)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #18
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

The DINAN mid-pipe will fit an F36 with one cut and re-weld at the existing weld point and this definitely helped with general sound, pops and burbles.

I had a custom muffler shop do the work locally after I installed it myself but couldn't get it to clear the additional bracing that comes on the F36.

Looking from the back of the car to the front, we cut the mid-pipe at the existing weld, turned the front portion of the mid-pipe counter clockwise to get clearance and then re-welded it with the rear portion of the mid-pipe now slightly angled up to get the exhaust tips centered. I have no rubbing or vibrations and all of the bracing clears and the tips are centered in the stock location. It is probably cheaper to have an exhaust shop build one themselves, but I took this route to get the mandrel bends and the stainless pipe to avoid rust.

I am considering adding the DINAN muffler as well but it would be great to hear from others who have gone this route before dropping another 1400 bucks.
2018 440i Gran Coupe (F36), Glacier Silver/Black Dakota, M Performance and Track Handling Package, MHD Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 flash tunes, Dinan Shockware and mid-pipe, HJS high-flow cat, AP Intake, RW Carbon duck bill spoiler and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:44 PM   #19
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

Picture for reference.
Attached Images

2018 440i Gran Coupe (F36), Glacier Silver/Black Dakota, M Performance and Track Handling Package, MHD Stage 2 and xHP Stage 3 flash tunes, Dinan Shockware and mid-pipe, HJS high-flow cat, AP Intake, RW Carbon duck bill spoiler and rear diffuser
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #20
FZ36
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewhelan9 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Picture for reference.
Not too shabby. Dinan was definitely my first choice.

Do you feel like this was a better choice vs. res delete?

I've also found out AWE sells a midpipe for the F36.. but for $645.00 USD
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #21
sewhelan9
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not too shabby. Dinan was definitely my first choice.

Do you feel like this was a better choice vs. res delete?

I've also found out AWE sells a midpipe for the F36.. but for $645.00 USD
Yes, I am happy that I went this route as the DINAN mid-pipe is well made and that even with the extra $$ at the muffler shop to make it work, it was still cheaper than most other options.

The challenge in the end on the F36 is not the dimensions since the F series are all the same chassis, it is the extra bracing that BMW adds to the chassis to make up for losses in rigidity due to the gaping hole created by the hatch vs. the sedan.

Last edited by sewhelan9; 02-13-2019 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #22
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewhelan9 View Post
Yes, I am happy that I went this route as the DINAN mid-pipe is well made and that even with the extra $$ at the muffler shop to make it work, it was still cheaper than most other options.

The challenge in the end on the F36 is not the dimensions since the F series are all the same chassis, it is the extra bracing that BMW adds to the chassis to make up for losses in rigidity due to the gaping hole created by the hatch vs. the sedan.
Makes sense, didn't realize additional bracing was used on the F36. As to whether one should get the Dinan mid pipe and modify it vs just doing a dual resonator delete, I would just go with the resonator delete. $150 max and you're more or less getting the same exact thing. The tech at BMW was impressed with the welds on mine and it was a great first mod towards what I was going for. I should post a video of what mine sounds like with dual resonator delete, exhaust valve open, catless downpipes, and MG flasher at 80% aggressiveness with mppsk duration.
Appreciate 0