BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Need advice on exhaust

02-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
MThree_Forty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Dravit Gray M340ix

Need advice on exhaust

Folks:

I want to do some modifications to my Marina Bay Blue '18 M5 before Summer of '19, and have kind of settled on carbon front and side grills, rear diffuser, springs and an exhaust.

This is where I really need to ask for some help. I've been reading all the posts about exhausts, and I have to admit, my brain is hurting trying to understand it all.

I am looking for an exhaust that provides a good, throaty sound (louder than stock)-- with some good burbles on downshifting.... but don't really want super loud cracks and pops that would force me to run in Sport or Comfort mode to tone down the effect. I had the M-Perf exhaust on my M4, and that was quite loud in Sport + and S3 mode-- where I usually like to run.

I know that this is a lot of personal preference, but can someone just recommend something that meets my parameters? I really love the look of the Akra system-- complete with their rear diffuser, but don't like the price. Is the M-Sport exhaust much better sounding in person than stock? Is it orderable in the U.S., and will a dealer install it?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
bimmerzone
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Definitely check out the RPi System

Axle Back
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...-GTM-AXLE.html

Full System
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...-GTM-FULL.html

best bang for the buck and not overly crazy loud

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90Driver View Post
Folks:

I want to do some modifications to my Marina Bay Blue '18 M5 before Summer of '19, and have kind of settled on carbon front and side grills, rear diffuser, springs and an exhaust.

This is where I really need to ask for some help. I've been reading all the posts about exhausts, and I have to admit, my brain is hurting trying to understand it all.

I am looking for an exhaust that provides a good, throaty sound (louder than stock)-- with some good burbles on downshifting.... but don't really want super loud cracks and pops that would force me to run in Sport or Comfort mode to tone down the effect. I had the M-Perf exhaust on my M4, and that was quite loud in Sport + and S3 mode-- where I usually like to run.

I know that this is a lot of personal preference, but can someone just recommend something that meets my parameters? I really love the look of the Akra system-- complete with their rear diffuser, but don't like the price. Is the M-Sport exhaust much better sounding in person than stock? Is it orderable in the U.S., and will a dealer install it?
If no budget, Akropovic is number one in my opinion.
A few grand cheaper is the M Performance Exhaust which sounds very good.
After that you got Eisenmann.
I had Rpi Gtm on my F10 M5, it was a fire shooting and screaming dragon 😂👍
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@F90Driver , from what I understand you, I can suggest you axle back Eisenmann Race while keeping the stock resonator.
With that, you will get the loudness and some crackle and pop, but not crazy loud like you are running a straight pipe.

Remus axle back won't be enough for you IMO.

Are you planning to go with OEM CF pieces or aftermarket?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I'm gonna be honest with you - no video truly captures the real sound of the F90 and especially not the burbles lol...

I think you and I are both after the same sound - more deep, throaty and base vs pitched, screaming and treble?

M Performance is currently neck and neck - for me and my taste - Remus... Also potentially waiting to see what Fi puts out as I very much enjoyed their exhaust on my F80...

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you - no video truly captures the real sound of the F90 and especially not the burbles lol...

I think you and I are both after the same sound - more deep, throaty and base vs pitched, screaming and treble?

M Performance is currently neck and neck - for me and my taste - Remus... Also potentially waiting to see what Fi puts out as I very much enjoyed their exhaust on my F80...

I was about to recommend Remus too, but after re-read OP's post that he wants it to be throaty, I don't think Remus axle back will do that.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

The Mperformance in the video is mine. New video coming shortly at WOT and some city driving. Going to hook my GoPro with microphone. Should be sweet
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Ledbetterjw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5M Competition

Replaced resonator with stainless x pipe, and replaced rear/center square muffler with stainless pipe. you should be able to get this done under $600 out the door.
Appreciate 0