BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Should I change from my G11?! (UK)

This might be a crazy question but here goes.

I purchased a 730d G11 in March. I needed a new car and with a new baby I wanted a big car but also wanted as much luxury as I could fit into the car. So I went for the 7 and I love it, it's so comfortable and plush and ticks most boxes.

However I really wanted an X this time round but knew the new x5 was around the corner, just not soon enough for my needs.

So I'm seriously contemplating trading the 7 for the x5. Excluding any cost issues, does anyone know what I'd be missing out on comfort wise with moving? I'd spec the comfort pack and leather dash and merino leather etc so as many things as I can to replicate the feel of the 7. But can anyone comment on how different (less luxurious smooth?) it would be, if at all?

I'm used to the soft wafts ride I get with the 7 with the ability to firm it up with VDC if I want, which works amazingly well, and the large soft seats you get in the 7. I don't want sporty seats at all. I want to be able to feel like that in the x5. Is that possible?

I love the dash in the 7 where you get premium metal buttons over the 5 and below, but wonder how the x5 dash compares to that? I do prefer the new live cockpit etc but want that premium feel. I would ideally holdout for the x7 to definitely get all that, but overall the x7 will probably be TOO big.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
mweir
Rep
Drives: X5

Honestly, I don't think you would get everything you want out of the X5 unless you spec it very carefully. The X5 won't have the same buttery smooth ride the 7 series is known for, especially with the large 21" or 22" wheels. And while the leather dashboard is going to be nice, it won't match the large amounts of leather that the 7 series has everywhere. And the seats are probably going to be very comfy but more on the sporty side than the ultra cushioned 7 series seats. As for things like metal buttons and so forth, I think the X5 will be close but again, not quite to the level of the 7. The one place where you will be happy is the looks of the cabin. It looks very nice and looks very modern, on par with the 7 series for sure. But when it comes to actually touching things, the amounts of leather, the seats, the ride, I don't think it will be the same.

You would have to probably spec the air suspension and all the luxury packages, leather dashboard, etc. That would get you close I think. But if you want the exact same quality and touch the 7 has, I don't think the X5 is quite that. But if you want more space and the newest BMW tech and 95% of the quality of the 7, the X5 should be great.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
What you really need to do is wait a few months for the x7.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweir View Post
Honestly, I don't think you would get everything you want out of the X5 unless you spec it very carefully. The X5 won't have the same buttery smooth ride the 7 series is known for, especially with the large 21" or 22" wheels. And while the leather dashboard is going to be nice, it won't match the large amounts of leather that the 7 series has everywhere. And the seats are probably going to be very comfy but more on the sporty side than the ultra cushioned 7 series seats. As for things like metal buttons and so forth, I think the X5 will be close but again, not quite to the level of the 7. The one place where you will be happy is the looks of the cabin. It looks very nice and looks very modern, on par with the 7 series for sure. But when it comes to actually touching things, the amounts of leather, the seats, the ride, I don't think it will be the same.

You would have to probably spec the air suspension and all the luxury packages, leather dashboard, etc. That would get you close I think. But if you want the exact same quality and touch the 7 has, I don't think the X5 is quite that. But if you want more space and the newest BMW tech and 95% of the quality of the 7, the X5 should be great.
Thanks, I think you're right. But I guess I need to see if I can accept the trade offs for the newer cabin and the extra space etc. I think I need to see one in the flesh to compare but I don't think they are available to see here in the UK yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Possibly, but as I mentioned, I think it might be too big (not sure how much bigger than the x5 it'll be) but also it sounds like it will be above my price range. If it sits above the 7 in terms of cost then I think it will be too much
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I've got a F16 M50d and test drove a 7 and it was definitely more comfortable. Not sure which is easier to load a baby though, probably a 7, but kids would prefer the height of the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
Possibly, but as I mentioned, I think it might be too big (not sure how much bigger than the x5 it'll be) but also it sounds like it will be above my price range. If it sits above the 7 in terms of cost then I think it will be too much
I am certain it will sit slightly below the 7 in terms of cost for the smallest engine model.
Sold E90 335i M Sport Alpine White|Tokyo
Sold E36 328i Jet Black|NYC
Appreciate 0