BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Issues with low coolant warning?

08-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Patrick_Bateman
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Issues with low coolant warning?

I had a weird low coolant warning pop up yesterday when I was moving my car (which had been parked for a day or so) from one of my garages to the other. The next time I started it, no warning popped up. However, this morning it popped up again. I took it into my dealer and the SA said that these engines seem to lose a small amount of coolant to "evaporation", and also mentioned the other F90 M5 the dealership sold experienced the same issue and was in to be topped off last week. I thought it was a strange statement about coolant disappearing, as I haven't seen any leaks, and the two cooling reservoirs are both closed systems. Anyone else experience this issue? My car has about 5000 miles on it FWIW. Also the cherry on top is there is I learned about yet another recall- this time for a fuel sensor BTW.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

No experience on my end and I started the fuel sensor recall thread on the board. My delivery was held a couple days up after a 4 month wait, for a ridiculous fix w/ zip ties!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
MTHX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335XI MPerformance edition

Garage List
2018 F90M5  [0.00]
same issue this morning .

6000 miles

strange
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

FWIW - I had this happen to my brand new 335i at about the same mileage.
Topped it up and it never came back after 12 years of driving it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #5
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I had the same thing on my F10 M5. It went off once got filled up and never an issue again for the three years I had it. I still wanted to delt smash the reservoir though when it happened.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Patrick_Bateman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHX View Post
same issue this morning .

6000 miles

strange
I'll be interested to hear what your SA tells you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:40 AM   #7
DM5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
I had a weird low coolant warning pop up yesterday when I was moving my car (which had been parked for a day or so) from one of my garages to the other. The next time I started it, no warning popped up. However, this morning it popped up again. I took it into my dealer and the SA said that these engines seem to lose a small amount of coolant to "evaporation", and also mentioned the other F90 M5 the dealership sold experienced the same issue and was in to be topped off last week. I thought it was a strange statement about coolant disappearing, as I haven't seen any leaks, and the two cooling reservoirs are both closed systems. Anyone else experience this issue? My car has about 5000 miles on it FWIW. Also the cherry on top is there is I learned about yet another recall- this time for a fuel sensor BTW.
6400 miles same issue this morning, went to the dealership and bought some coolant. If you open the cover it clearly shows when it's full and when it's not. I think I had to fill up about 1/5 of a gallon at most.
Same recall issue of course- all scheduled for next month with the oil change.
On a brighter note drag day tomorrow, temp should be in the 60s and I'm hoping to go under the 11.19 I did last time..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:07 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidm335ix View Post
6400 miles same issue this morning, went to the dealership and bought some coolant. If you open the cover it clearly shows when it's full and when it's not. I think I had to fill up about 1/5 of a gallon at most.
Same recall issue of course- all scheduled for next month with the oil change.
On a brighter note drag day tomorrow, temp should be in the 60s and I'm hoping to go under the 11.19 I did last time..
Video if you can and post the slip.
Some here in the UK are slagging the M5 as they rave about the CP model.
      08-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
sybaek9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had same coolant warning at 5K. Dealer was able to top off similar to the infamous add 1 qt of engine oil warning.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

Thanks for posting up ! I did not have a warning yet, but checked the level and was down about 20 oz. Topped it off.
Appreciate 0