BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 license plate bracket

08-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep
Drives: F90

M5 license plate bracket

Has anyone had an issue with putting on a front license plate (I'm in a state which requires you to have a front plate) without blocking the sensors for the drivers assistance and safety features which is located in the front grill?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
dnippard
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh00@aol.com View Post
Has anyone had an issue with putting on a front license plate (I'm in a state which requires you to have a front plate) without blocking the sensors for the drivers assistance and safety features which is located in the front grill?
That's exactly my line when I get stopped! Hoping someone can confirm it's true. It actually does cover it slightly. In the meantime it looks way better without a plate on the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
ACF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1484172

It looks like the tow hook is the best solution. I had the same issue on my S6 in CT
      08-19-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

I was going to do the tow hook and decided against it...To be clear - I am not saying what the functionality is or is not - only what my impressions of what I have directly experienced with the car since having the front plate on. I specifically remember the front impact warning light going off while driving today as there was an accident ahead with quick deceleration after the fact - so that appeared to work (at least once anyway). Parking view in the front was also clear to my recollection - I can at least state I didn't notice anything wrong with the coverage/view.

Again - do your own research/speak with BMW and due diligence - these are just my opinions from my experience with the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:33 AM   #5
Boeing Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750I

I use Big Mike's "Sto-n-Show" on my M4. I love it. Easy on/off.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
th3hitman316
Private
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red F90

I'm Registered in CT 2 plate state and i refuse to drill into any of my vehicles front bumper, well except for my commercial vehicle, no far no issues, i do believe for some vehicles cops won't harras as much.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3hitman316 View Post
I'm Registered in CT 2 plate state and i refuse to drill into any of my vehicles front bumper, well except for my commercial vehicle, no far no issues, i do believe for some vehicles cops won't harras as much.
Heading into Manhattan by the bridges and tunnels there are always cops ticketing specifically for this. They don't care really.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      08-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnippard View Post
Quote:
That's exactly my line when I get stopped! Hoping someone can confirm it's true. It actually does cover it slightly. In the meantime it looks way better without a plate on the front.
That's worked for me— don't like a front plate on any car...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #9
Bill27
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition and 2023 X

Bill27

If you live in New York State you will be ticketed for driving without a front license plate. Don’t ask the salesman. Most are clueless.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      08-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Heading into Manhattan by the bridges and tunnels there are always cops ticketing specifically for this. They don't care really.
The Port Authority cops look for front plate violations? Or are there other cops that I have never noticed.
Lived in Manhattan for 18 years, now I live in NJ and go into the city regularly. I have only seen the Port Authority police at the crossings and I could be wrong but that's not what they're there to do. Most of the time they are just chatting among themselves.
In Manhattan, I would imaging the traffic agents/meter maids are the ones who issue tickets as the regular cops don't really bother with non driving violations in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #11
jh00@aol.com
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
Quote:
Quote:
The Port Authority cops look for front plate violations? Or are there other cops that I have never noticed.
Lived in Manhattan for 18 years, now I live in NJ and go into the city regularly. I have only seen the Port Authority police at the crossings and I could be wrong but that's not what they're there to do. Most of the time they are just chatting among themselves.
In Manhattan, I would imaging the traffic agents/meter maids are the ones who issue tickets as the regular cops don't really bother with non driving violations in my experience.
unfortunately that's all they do. They looked to ticket all the time for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #12
droitman
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2018

I tried the tow hook. Always interfered with sensor. And looked like crap :-)
I removed it and I’m much happier. I’m keeping it in the trunk :-) but so far after 3 months in NJ I have not gotten stopped.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by droitman View Post
I tried the tow hook. Always interfered with sensor. And looked like crap :-)
I removed it and I’m much happier. I’m keeping it in the trunk :-) but so far after 3 months in NJ I have not gotten stopped.
I have also had mine for 3 months (took delivery end of May) and I also live in NJ and decided against a front plate.
Haven't been bothered so far - knock on wood. My neighbor has a Ghibli and he hasn't had a front plate for 4 years with no issues.
I honestly can't leave my house without seeing at least 10 cars with only rear plates. I have found myself checking. They are mostly Tesla's and Maseratis. A lot of BMWs don't have front plates and a few MBs. Seems to be much more common than I ever noticed before.
Here's to hoping we don't get hassled.
Appreciate 1