M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 Azurite black 2019

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Ghibli sq4 to an m5

Hey guys! I'm about to pull the trigger on leasing an m5 2019. Gotta build and wait for it though. I'm coming from a 2015 Maserati Ghibli sq4 and feel like thats got quite a kick itself. Can't imagine what 600 hp feels like. This will be my first BMW and jumping straight to the m5! Advice from any/everyone is welcome!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
wanesso
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabil View Post
Hey guys! I'm about to pull the trigger on leasing an m5 2019. Gotta build and wait for it though. I'm coming from a 2015 Maserati Ghibli sq4 and feel like thats got quite a kick itself. Can't imagine what 600 hp feels like. This will be my first BMW and jumping straight to the m5! Advice from any/everyone is welcome!
No contest! I went to the Maserati dealer to test drive that car—- there were 15 ghiblis lined up for sale. And there are NO M5's lined up at the bimmer dealer.... exclusivity is a plus
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
jahdish
Insta pjahdish
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M5/BMW X6/Ferrari 458

You are in for a treat. Test drive a couple and have done numerous pulls against with my old f10m5 and was never close
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanesso View Post
Quote:
No contest! I went to the Maserati dealer to test drive that car—- there were 15 ghiblis lined up for sale. And there are NO M5's lined up at the bimmer dealer.... exclusivity is a plus
Exactly it. I see tons of BMWs on the road but don't think I've ever seen an M series. I'm hoping it's aggressive looking enough to stand out!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahdish View Post
You are in for a treat. Test drive a couple and have done numerous pulls against with my old f10m5 and was never close
I wish there was a 2018 m5 I could test drive. No dealerships in my area have any left. Pulling this trigger blindly hoping it's everything the reviews are making it out to be. Payment is jumping up a couple of hundred bucks as well so it's making me nervous but I'm hearing I won't be disappointed. Looking for more power, comfort and spaciousness than to the Ghibli. The m5 seems to fit perfectly on paper at least. My wife felt the opposite in terms of exclusivity though since it's a Maserati vs a BMW and she feels the former is more exotic and less commonly seen on the road. You know the "whoa what kind of car is that!" question. It's been a debate between us on that but I'm sure the m5 is the better car and that in time she'll get over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Where I live in NJ, the Ghibli is all over the place. I probably see two a day - not including my neighbor who just started his lease of his second Ghibli. He looked into a Panamera and a 650xi before leasing another Ghibli but for his purposes the friendly lease terms on the Ghibli won him over.
It definitely makes a decent sound going around and to some, the trident is a status symbol. I don't know if the 2018-19 Ghiblis have been refreshed but I know his first Ghibli was not that exciting on the interior. I can guarantee that the interior of the m5 will be far better than what you have driven the last 3 years.
I have only seen one f90 m5 other than my own in my area, and I only saw it once. There are a few older generation m5 around but haven't actually seen a f90.
There are more 5 series in my area than I can count, mostly 540xi but a few 550s as well. Most 530, 540 don't really pay any attention to me but the 550 owners, particularly the ones with the m package do take notice.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #7
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
Where I live in NJ, the Ghibli is all over the place. I probably see two a day - not including my neighbor who just started his lease of his second Ghibli. He looked into a Panamera and a 650xi before leasing another Ghibli but for his purposes the friendly lease terms on the Ghibli won him over.
It definitely makes a decent sound going around and to some, the trident is a status symbol. I don't know if the 2018-19 Ghiblis have been refreshed but I know his first Ghibli was not that exciting on the interior. I can guarantee that the interior of the m5 will be far better than what you have driven the last 3 years.
I have only seen one f90 m5 other than my own in my area, and I only saw it once. There are a few older generation m5 around but haven't actually seen a f90.
There are more 5 series in my area than I can count, mostly 540xi but a few 550s as well. Most 530, 540 don't really pay any attention to me but the 550 owners, particularly the ones with the m package do take notice.
I agree. The sound of the Ghibli is amazing and aggressive. They gitty up isn't bad either although with that sound you'd think your going faster than you really are lol. They have upgraded the interior from the 2015 model year that I have but it's still not very impressive. It's pretty tough to get into any car even in the ghilblis price that has a worse interior than that car. So I'm not worried about the interior on the m5 not being nice enough.
However regarding the exterior of the car since you have so many 5 series around do you get a lot of people mistaking your car for a regular 5 series as well or does it look different enough for people to know it's something different? I guess seeing a picture of a 5 series side by side with m5 would answer that. On the build configuration they seem quite the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
Ghibli has a horrible throttle tip in. I mean just terrible. That's the first thing you're going to notice a big change in.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Welcome to M5, go for M5 Competition
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Quote:
I agree. The sound of the Ghibli is amazing and aggressive. They gitty up isn't bad either although with that sound you'd think your going faster than you really are lol. They have upgraded the interior from the 2015 model year that I have but it's still not very impressive. It's pretty tough to get into any car even in the ghilblis price that has a worse interior than that car. So I'm not worried about the interior on the m5 not being nice enough.
However regarding the exterior of the car since you have so many 5 series around do you get a lot of people mistaking your car for a regular 5 series as well or does it look different enough for people to know it's something different? I guess seeing a picture of a 5 series side by side with m5 would answer that. On the build configuration they seem quite the same.
I don't know if people mistake the m5 for a regular 5. I can tell you that my neighbor has a g30 540 but doesn't know much about cars or frankly cares about cars and when I got my m5, he knew mine was different from what he had.

There are cars that people automatically know is something "exotic" or different but the performance sedans like the m5, e63, even the Audi rs models can many times hide in plain sight.
Perfect example, many years ago I owned a MB e63 wagon and a Aston Martin Vantage. My wife and I were going out to Long Island in separate cars and she was driving the MB and I was in the Aston. I was driving right behind her on the LIE and there were cars behind me all going roughly the same speed. We passed a cop and who gets pulled over? The jerk in the Aston.
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Ghibli has a horrible throttle tip in. I mean just terrible. That's the first thing you're going to notice a big change in.
By horrible tip in do you mean the lag before acceleration after slamming the accelerator? It is horrible but I was told that's normal with all turbos. It'll be awesome not to have that delay with something as powerful as the m5.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Welcome to M5, go for M5 Competition
I'd love to but I'm already stretching my budget with just the m5. I'm going to place the order next week and thinking of azurite black with the black wheels. I'm huge on color and that combination looks the best to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if people mistake the m5 for a regular 5. I can tell you that my neighbor has a g30 540 but doesn't know much about cars or frankly cares about cars and when I got my m5, he knew mine was different from what he had.

There are cars that people automatically know is something "exotic" or different but the performance sedans like the m5, e63, even the Audi rs models can many times hide in plain sight.
Perfect example, many years ago I owned a MB e63 wagon and a Aston Martin Vantage. My wife and I were going out to Long Island in separate cars and she was driving the MB and I was in the Aston. I was driving right behind her on the LIE and there were cars behind me all going roughly the same speed. We passed a cop and who gets pulled over? The jerk in the Aston.
Haha the exotic cars scream jerk to everyone for some reason. I guess I'm just letting people around me saying "you're gonna that much on a fancy 5 series" get to me. Bottom line is I want it and I'm gonna get it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
Boeing Driver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750I

Welcome to BMW not mention to the M's. You're in for a treat! Far more better than that Chrysler you're driving.
Appreciate 1
nabil50.00
      08-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

nabil,

It's ironic you're considering this change as I have the exact same car as you (2015 Ghibli S Q4, Nero ribelle paint, sport pkg, red extended leather, carbon trim) and am considering switching to a 2019 M5.

My feeling on the Ghibli is this. The outside world sees the Maserati badge as "exclusive".
This is what I see: The Ghibli looks fantastic. The Ghibli sounds fantastic. The Ghibli drives great.

Some of the car enthusiast community grabs on to the few Chrysler parts-bin sharing items (window switches, headlight switch, turn signal stalk, infotainment) and therefore pans the entire vehicle when the reality is the above three items are still TRUE: looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, drives great.

So for those that care more above those 3 things and enjoy the Maserati badge and the "exclusive" impression it gives non-car people outsiders, the Ghibli is a fantastic choice.

I myself was that person. I've enjoyed my car for 3.5 years. I just wish Maserati could infuse all the above into the Ghibli AND inject
reliability. I've had several minor issues with the Ghibli's interior but then recently had 2 major issues with the drivetrain (transfer case failed, then ECU caused engine misfire requiring engine manifold disassembly and cleaning of valves, new sparkplugs, etc). And those happened with just 23-24K miles. Unacceptable.

So now I'm looking to move into a '19 M5 and not looking back. I know I won't regret it. More refined interior, faster, and indeed more exclusive, even if the average Joe doesn't know it.
      08-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #16
nabil
M5 F90 '19
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 AMG GT 53  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
nabil,

It's ironic you're considering this change as I have the exact same car as you (2015 Ghibli S Q4, Nero ribelle paint, sport pkg, red extended leather, carbon trim) and am considering switching to a 2019 M5.

My feeling on the Ghibli is this. The outside world sees the Maserati badge as "exclusive".
This is what I see: The Ghibli looks fantastic. The Ghibli sounds fantastic. The Ghibli drives great.

Some of the car enthusiast community grabs on to the few Chrysler parts-bin sharing items (window switches, headlight switch, turn signal stalk, infotainment) and therefore pans the entire vehicle when the reality is the above three items are still TRUE: looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, drives great.

So for those that care more above those 3 things and enjoy the Maserati badge and the "exclusive" impression it gives non-car people outsiders, the Ghibli is a fantastic choice.

I myself was that person. I've enjoyed my car for 3.5 years. I just wish Maserati could infuse all the above into the Ghibli AND inject
reliability. I've had several minor issues with the Ghibli's interior but then recently had 2 major issues with the drivetrain (transfer case failed, then ECU caused engine misfire requiring engine manifold disassembly and cleaning of valves, new sparkplugs, etc). And those happened with just 23-24K miles. Unacceptable.

So now I'm looking to move into a '19 M5 and not looking back. I know I won't regret it. More refined interior, faster, and indeed more exclusive, even if the average Joe doesn't know it.
Glad I'm not the only one making that switch. I actually showed your comment to my wife who is kinda of sad to see the Maserati go. She doesn't feel it's an upgrade but that's only due to not having seen an m5 yet. I agree the maserati has a nice growl to it but I'll be honest a bit of a quieter cabin would be a welcome change for me.
My biggest issue with the Ghibli is that the clips to the carpet mat would break really easily and a couple of times it got stuck under the accelerator and it would make it stick. At first we thought the car was spontaneously accelerating but later on realized the carpet mat was the culprit. I've had my fun with Ghibli as well and also feel it's time to wow myself rather than everyone else. I'm confirming my build and putting something down to lock it in next week.
Appreciate 0