BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Warning New Speed limit in France

08-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Exclamation Warning New Speed limit in France

All fellow BMW drivers
My Heads Up Display helpfully transposés kph road speed restrictions to the nearest equivalent Mph. However, from the beginning of July this year the French Government decided to reduce the national speed limit on the “Route National” from 90 kph to 80kph. The general rule on leaving the name of the town is that the limit used to be 90 kph (55 mph). The HUD has not yet caught with this change and will continue to show 55 mph as the limit whereas it is now 80 kph (50 mph).
Thinking we were adhering to the limit we were flashed by a speed camera doing 90kph instead of the authorised 80kph. BMW need to ensure their next drive connect update allows for this change of law to which we have to confess ignorance till now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

My son is currently on holiday in the south of France (Agde) and, as a result of RL's post, I mentioned to him the revised speed limits on RN roads over there. He was aware, but told me it affects the single track roads although not on dual carriageways and has been in the news for several months.
I also read recently that new speed cameras have been introduced on many of the roads over there, many of which are barely recognisable as cameras compared to what we see in the UK.
Here's what the RAC have to say on the subject of speed limits: 'The speed limit reductions, announced by French government road safety group, La Comité interministériel de sécurité routière, will apply to roads without a central reservation ‘separator’, like a rail or barrier, between carriageways. Such roads have been targeted after figures showed as many as two-thirds of road fatalities occur on those with the 90 km/h limits. In 2016, almost 3,500 people were killed on French highways – with 70,000 injuries.'

Last edited by oakey46; 08-09-2018 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Info from RAC added.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

What’s worse is that the the normal road signs on entry ports and frontiers have still to be changed!
Appreciate 0