BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Lengthy Explanation & A Tire Question

08-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
F1A1
Registered
Rep
Drives: M550i xDrive

Lengthy Explanation & A Tire Question

Dear Fellow G30 Owners and/or Enthusiasts:

I am a newbie to the BMW world. I have recently bought my first BMW after spending 12.5 years with my Volvo S60 2.5T (and dreaming of BMWs for 40+ years). I love cars. I do my best to take care of them. So, I saved up some money and I finally purchased a brand-new carbonblack M550i xDrive (20 in wheels is the only optional equipment). My car has now ~2200 miles on it and "Yes" I love the BMW and should have bought a BMW much earlier.

Living in Houston TX comes with a lot of debri on the roads. Yesterday, I noticed through the TPM warning that a large nail had fully penetrated to my right rear tire. I have 20 inch wheels and the car came with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires. The rear tire size is 275/35 R20. So, I took my car to the dealer. They told me runflats cannot be repaired and they told me that they do not have Pilot Sport 3's and sold me a Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire (for my right rear wheel). I asked repeatedly whether it is OK to combine these two types of tires and they told me "Yes. Both tires are same band, same size, and have the same tread pattern. It will be fine unless you are planning to take your car to track." For the record, although I would love to, I have no such plans. In the heat of the moment and worried that I do not have much time to change the tire (because it was losing pressure) and given the dealer says OK, I agreed.

I am now having bit of a buyer's remorse. I came home and started looking at my rear tires more closely and they are somewhat different. I am really worried about damaging car. I really want my car pristine.

Based on your knowledge and experience what would be your recommendation to me:

(a) Keep the tires as they are. The combination is fine and there will not be a damage to the mechanics my car because of this. The dealer was right.

(b) Try to get a Pilot Sport 3 for my right rear tire and try to somehow sell/trade-in/return the Pilot Super Sport or keep it as the emergency spare in the garage. The problem is: I have already started looking at the internet but admittedly I was not able to find a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 to purchase, for example, in the tirerack.com and at the Discount Tire website at the right size for my car. Is this tire discontinued or rare? Any direction where to get this tire would be helpful. If your choice would be this option.

(c) Get a Pilot Super Sport for my left rear tire, i.e. match the rears, at minimum. It that OK to have Pilot 3s in the front and Pilot Super Sports in the rear?

(d) Change all four tires to Pilot Super Sport's (which will be quite a costly proposition for a nail damage on one tire).

(e) Any other recommendation?

I sincerely welcome your advice/feedback to me.

Kind Regards,
F1A1
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
F1A1
Registered
Rep
Drives: M550i xDrive

Correction of Typo

Correction: The tire size should be corrected as 275/30 R20.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
Richukbmw5
England
Rep
Drives: BMW g30

I had exactly the same issue within only 3 days of ownership so I share your pain.
I found it difficult to find a matching tyre it's preferential, but I don't think it's critical.

Just keep an eye on the tyres just in case they start to wear at different rates, but otherwise enjoy your car!
      08-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

I’d buy one more rear to match the new Pilot Super Sport and leave the fronts for the moment.

You can keep the spare good rear Tyre in case you get another puncture in the future and want something to drive around on for a few days until stock comes in or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

The Pilot Super Sport is non-runflat. All tire manufacturers and sellers like TireRack will say that it's not safe to mix runflat and non-runflat, especially on the same axle. I'm surprised that the dealer would sell you that tire.

I think the Pilot Sport 3 is an OEM-only tire, why you can't find it on TireRack. So the most likely place to get it would be from a BMW dealer.

I'd go back to them and tell them that the industry consensus is that what they did to your car is not safe, and that they should order you the correct OEM tire and take back the Pilot Super Sport, at no additional cost to you.

Oh, and punctures in runflats can be repaired, if it's not near the sidewall, and the tire didn't deflate to where you ran on it flat (ie it was a slow leak that you caught early). Many tire shops will tell you if it's patchable, but BMW dealers will generally refuse to patch runflats.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 1