BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Import Tariffs--What If

07-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Import Tariffs--What If

I'm getting ready to order my 2019 M550i. If US import tariffs are imposed on vehicles after the order is placed, does anyone know if it would apply to a vehicle in the queue that already has a contract price?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Yes. Tariffs are not the responsibility of BMW so they can't guarantee a price inclusive of them. If the tariffs change before your car arrives the final price will reflect whatever the tariffs are set at.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Yes. Tariffs are not the responsibility of BMW so they can't guarantee a price inclusive of them. If the tariffs change before your car arrives the final price will reflect whatever the tariffs are set at.
so if the tariffs are decreased after the sales contract is entered into but before the car is delivered the price will be reduced by the reduced amount of the tariffs?

I don't remember seeing a tariff exception when I signed my purchase contract.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
so if the tariffs are decreased after the sales contract is entered into but before the car is delivered the price will be reduced by the reduced amount of the tariffs?

I don't remember seeing a tariff exception when I signed my purchase contract.
Correct, although there currently aren't any import tariffs on EU produced passenger cars. Light & heavy trucks have a tariff.

If you've ever purchased anything from Amazon that had to be shipped from outside the US and was subject to a tariff, Amazon refunds the difference if the import tariff is reduced.

Tariffs are always the responsibility of the purchaser so if you purchase something that becomes subject to an import tariff you will be charged accordingly. Purchase contacts stipulate the agreed upon price between you and the seller. Anything like taxes, tariffs, or any other government surcharge are outside the seller's control and are always the purchaser's responsibility.

The recent steel and aluminum tariffs are a good example. The US-Canadian border had huge line ups and customs officers were just waving trucks through because everyone wanted to get their shipments across the border before the tariffs came into place. Once they did, the steel and aluminum shipments would be subject to them regardless of when the original purchase contract was signed.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 07-02-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 0