BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Anyone have a Tune on their leased G30 5 ??

06-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Anyone have a Tune on their leased G30 5 ??

I am looking to install a Dinan Stage 1 Tune at the end of July as a Birthday gift from my wife for my 540I.

Dinan Stage 1 b/c they do offer a warranty and my Dealer will Install.

my 540 is a Lease.

I do have the Mperformance exhaust but want a little more power and hopeful for just a tad bit more sound due to the Tune... I hear the Mpssk has a little more grunt than just adding MPE due to the tune , so hoping this will be similar.

The reason I ask is the Pricing of the Jb and the Dinan Sport Tune are far cheaper, however neither of these options have a warranty.

Naturally better to err on the side of caution.. however I am curious as to how many owners for there current 5 or past recent Bmw's have put a tune on a leased vehicle and if there were any issues??

Thanks in advance !
      06-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i - 20' X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
I am looking to install a Dinan Stage 1 Tune at the end of July as a Birthday gift from my wife for my 540I.

my 540 is a Lease.

I do have the Mperformance exhaust but want a little more power and hopeful for just a tad bit more sound due to the Tune... I hear the Mpssk has a little more grunt than just adding MPE due to the tune , so hoping this will be similar.

The reason I ask is the Pricing of the Jb and the Dinan Sport Tune are far cheaper, however neither of these options have a warranty.

Naturally better to err on the side of caution.. however I am curious as to how many owners for there current 5 or past recent Bmw's have put a tune on a leased vehicle and if there were any issues??

Thanks in advance !

I had JB4 w\ BCM on my previous f10 M5 (leased and returned with no issues) and had no warranty repair issues whatsoever (and I had various things around the engine that needed to be replaced I.e. fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs, a few different sensors). That being said, I did remove the entire tune from the car on every visit to the dealer (better safe than sorry).

I will say that having to remove everytime became a huge PITA...especially removing the boost control module; damn thing took like an hour to take out and an hour to put back.

Now with your B58 engine, I believe the TMAP and MAP sensors are pretty easy to access and shouldn't take you very long to install and remove for a service visit. Personally, on my m550i, I went the Dinan route because I wanted to take the 'set it and forget it approach".
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

I am getting mine put on in 2 weeks (will be out of country until then). I am not a lease I paid for the car. I dont want BMW to have any reason to void any aspect of my warranty or maint agreements, so I am buying the Dinan through the dealership and the dealer is installing it. Set it and forget it as poster above said. Installing and removing and then re installing every time you need service is insane, and then if they really wanted to could probably go through the ecu and see what you have done anyway. Just get the Dinan and have it installed at the dealer for your security and sanity. Oh and dealer instal is 250$. If you talk with the Dinan rep at the dealer he can possibly get you some % off the tune. I got 10% off.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Yeah I think the idea of plug in and enjoy is a much better idea than plug in and then un-plug once you have to go in for service. Install and forget.. good idea.

The warranty as well... I think I'm just gonna stick with the original plan and go Dinan Stage 1 Tune.

I will ask about a 10% discount for Install.

Thanks for input guys !
      06-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRick89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post

my 540 is a Lease.

Thanks in advance !

I had JB4 w\ BCM on my previous f10 M5 (leased and returned with no issues) and had no warranty repair issues whatsoever (and I had various things around the engine that needed to be replaced I.e. fuel pump, injectors, spark plugs, a few different sensors). That being said, I did remove the entire tune from the car on every visit to the dealer (better safe than sorry).

I will say that having to remove everytime became a huge PITA...especially removing the boost control module; damn thing took like an hour to take out and an hour to put back.

Now with your B58 engine, I believe the TMAP and MAP sensors are pretty easy to access and shouldn't take you very long to install and remove for a service visit. Personally, on my m550i, I went the Dinan route because I wanted to take the 'set it and forget it approach".
How is the tune? Been looking for someone with the Dinan on a 550.

Leaning that way also for this car. Any input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I had RaceChip for over a year already.
Removing prior to going to dealer is depending on how comfortable are you with them.
A lot of dealers in SoCal don't check much for anything during regular service.
How do I know? One that I normally went, didn't even re-adjust tire pressure when I asked to, and re-adjust when I didn't ask.
Some of my local customers also mentioned that they just left it on for regular services.

I have sold a few RaceChip to local G30 540 and M550iX guys. They loved it. Too bad that they are not active in the forum to share their experience.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post

Literally just arrived on my doorstep last night (was on backorder from Dinan for quite a while). Anyway, I will be installing it myself Monday or Tuesday and would be happy to report back here after testing it out. Shout out to Ben r33_RGSport for the Dinan hookup.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Quote:

Literally just arrived on my doorstep last night (was on backorder from Dinan for quite a while). Anyway, I will be installing it myself Monday or Tuesday and would be happy to report back here after testing it out. Shout out to Ben r33_RGSport for the Dinan hookup.
I know Dinan says something like 2 hours of install time for the Dinanatronics piggyback but their own installation video only take like 10 minutes or something. Let me know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I know Dinan says something like 2 hours of install time for the Dinanatronics piggyback but their own installation video only take like 10 minutes or something. Let me know how it goes.
Even the wording in their website says under an hour.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:33 AM   #10
BimmerRick89
PWRDBYM
United_States
Rep

Alright guys, my afternoon became free today and decided to install. From start to finish, took me 2.5 hours; had I been more familiar with the engine, I probably could have done under 2.

In regards to the install, I took a lot of pictures and will be creating a DIY for the install (the dinan video does a good job but I know people unfamiliar with the sensors might have a hard time finding the correct sensors, as the video lacks showing exact positions of a few sensors). Things went very well for the most part...the hardest sensor is the cam sensor; the plug unclips from the back and, given the location, I needed a small 45 degree pick to pry up the clip on plug to detach. Also, the damn snorkels are nowhere near as easy to remove as the video describes; video says to simply pull back towards cabin and they come loose. Well the ease in which they remove in the video is nowhere near realistic; you can't simply pull back towards the cabin as they say (and I used some serious strength trying). What I figured out on the passenger side was to pull it up (still attached) and it gives you enough room to squeeze your hand to where the snorkel connects and you can squeeze it just enough to release. The drivers side, on the other hand, I was not able to remove, which made getting the cam sensor removed, much harder. The rest of it was pretty easy. You will want to buy a pick set on amazon (like $10$) to help with clip removal...you can thank me later ...I'll put in the DIY what set I have.

Initial experience with the tune (I drove the car around for a half hour and got some freeway time as well to really open up)...this car is a rocket. You notice the biggest difference right around 2500-3000 all the way to 6000+. It's not jerky at all...extremely smooth shifting thru all gears...Pulls hard all the way. Coming from an f10 m5, this car feels as fast (if not faster) than stock f10 m5. I love this car a lot more than my m5; its now as fast, more quiet in cabin, a lot less jerky, ride is smoother, and with the schnitzer exhaust, sounds better. I'll give some more thoughts as I drive the car some more; I'm also going to cycle between bypass and s1 to see if I can get some comparison 0-60 times.

Feel free to PM me or reply if you have any questions with my experience so far or any questions about the install...would be happy to help.
Appreciate 2
PAL51620.50
      07-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #11
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^^^^ Great info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #12
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Awesome, thanks for the post. I can't say I'm surprised at the length of time involved. Manufacturers always seem to be very optimistic regarding the ease of installation and length of time involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #13
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Thanks, waiting for more observations and testing....
      07-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Dinan Stage 1 on mine (B58); went the Dinan route for the warranty purposes and no hassle with BMW dealerships. Love it; though I find it is smoother with an octane booster (since our max is 91 here in California). Install was easy; 4 sensors and done. Since I have the second battery on the passenger side of the engine compartment, power routing was a little difficult. It won't fit with the battery on the passenger side, so it has to go on the driver side by the brake fluid reservoir. Negative cable is super long, positive cable is not. Ultimately it'll work without much strain on the wiring. I attached the + to the junction to the left of the engine, and grounded at the main grounding point by the passenger headlight. I was worried it might tug and pull when driving, but so far so good after 7-8 months.
      07-08-2018, 06:16 AM   #15
bigdaveindubai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Awesome update bimmerrick!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #16
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright guys, my afternoon became free today and decided to install. From start to finish, took me 2.5 hours; had I been more familiar with the engine, I probably could have done under 2.

In regards to the install, I took a lot of pictures and will be creating a DIY for the install (the dinan video does a good job but I know people unfamiliar with the sensors might have a hard time finding the correct sensors, as the video lacks showing exact positions of a few sensors). Things went very well for the most part...the hardest sensor is the cam sensor; the plug unclips from the back and, given the location, I needed a small 45 degree pick to pry up the clip on plug to detach. Also, the damn snorkels are nowhere near as easy to remove as the video describes; video says to simply pull back towards cabin and they come loose. Well the ease in which they remove in the video is nowhere near realistic; you can't simply pull back towards the cabin as they say (and I used some serious strength trying). What I figured out on the passenger side was to pull it up (still attached) and it gives you enough room to squeeze your hand to where the snorkel connects and you can squeeze it just enough to release. The drivers side, on the other hand, I was not able to remove, which made getting the cam sensor removed, much harder. The rest of it was pretty easy. You will want to buy a pick set on amazon (like $10$) to help with clip removal...you can thank me later ...I'll put in the DIY what set I have.

Initial experience with the tune (I drove the car around for a half hour and got some freeway time as well to really open up)...this car is a rocket. You notice the biggest difference right around 2500-3000 all the way to 6000+. It's not jerky at all...extremely smooth shifting thru all gears...Pulls hard all the way. Coming from an f10 m5, this car feels as fast (if not faster) than stock f10 m5. I love this car a lot more than my m5; its now as fast, more quiet in cabin, a lot less jerky, ride is smoother, and with the schnitzer exhaust, sounds better. I'll give some more thoughts as I drive the car some more; I'm also going to cycle between bypass and s1 to see if I can get some comparison 0-60 times.

Feel free to PM me or reply if you have any questions with my experience so far or any questions about the install...would be happy to help.
Any update now that you've had it a while?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #17
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any update now that you've had it a while?
+1. Inquiring minds want to know.
      09-14-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
bumping this up for long term reviews
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #19
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

I have the Dinan Stage 1 tune for my 2018 M550iX. It was installed by my local BMW dealer a few weeks ago.

Overall, it is tough to fully judge, since the car is a locomotive on steroids in stock form. Although others have shared 1/4 miles times which show an easy half a second decrease and finishing in the 11 second range, I have not done any non-subjective testing. I do feel the car is stronger, especially above 3K RPM and when punched while at speed. As tested by Dinan, it adds about 50 HP and similar TRQ over the underrated base engine. On paper that may not seem like much of an increase, but it was evidently retuned to deliver that modest increase down low and in their dyno tests rated at 590 HP and 650 TRQ. A phone app allows for the tune to be defeated as needed via bluetooth connection to the high quality board and connectors designed to look stock.

Together with opening both exhaust flaps (via fuse removal method), the car is a beast in a nice suit. The Dinan tune does not make it any less smooth and power is still delivered in a linear and seemingly endless rush. The open flaps give me enough sound without droning (defeated the ASD) and is perfect to my ears.

Is it worth $1,700 for a 10-15% increase in power? Well, yeah if it is as smooth, warranted and selectable via a phone app as the S1 tunes is. Like many performance upgrades, it may never be fully used. But then again, having the engine tuned closer to its potential seems like the fair thing to do to all that fine german engineering. Plus, it makes me a little less jealous of the M5 and pretty stealthy for a near 600 HP family sedan.

I hope to do more less subjective testing but overall find the Dinan S1 tune to be a factory-like enhancement that uses more of what his engine has to offer, without the normal aftermarket issues. Much of the newly available power is clearly for self-gratification and may never be fully used, but knowing it's on tap when needed is nice.
      11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #20
billybarr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 yas marina

I have the jb4 on my 2018 M550. Awesome product. They drop the price drastically for this car in particular. Install was easy for a professional. If you have a good relationship with your Service tech, let him know what you want to do. He will most probably suggest somebody in his own department to install it for you. I've had it now for a year, love the upgrade, LOVE the Bluetooth app on my phone, so simple, can change maps, data log, AND SEND THE DATA, everything right from your phone! And Terry over at Burger motorsports is incredible. They respond to every dumb question I have.
When it goes in for service I just turn off the map from my phone, and make sure I know who takes the car