BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Plastic / sensatec / leather dashboard

05-26-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Plastic / sensatec / leather dashboard

Just put in an order for a loaded 530e. (luxury/executive package and nappa leather)

I did not check the leather dashboard option.
Having reviewed some materials with the dealer, it appears that the "sensatec dashboard" is no longer available either as default or add-on. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I personally enjoy the soft look of a covered dashboard, I just thought $1200 for the leather was a bit too much. Sensatec would have been great.

What's the consensus on these options around here?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I ordered and received a loaded 530e. Mine has nappa leather and the leather dash. With my MSport 2 package the leather dash was only $700 extra.

I would have ordered it even at $1200. Not only does it appear to be nappa also but it covers the tops of the doors. Between the two it gives a nice appearance and touch. It is not supersoft but there definitely is some softening material below the leather dash as I can

If your goal is a inexpensive performance "luxury" vehicle one can certainly do without the leather dash. If you want the interior experience, which after all is where one spends one's time, to reflect the rest of the car, then I would say go for it.

In my case, when placing my order I was trying to decide whether to order the alcantera headliner. I realized that I never look up. My previous car was a 330e so I went into my garage to check the headliner. In my case, I decided that the non alcantera headliner was fine and skipped that item. In your case, you need to decide how important the leather dash is to you.

My car is garaged most of the time (garage at home, underground garage at my office when I bother going in). The main time that my car is outside in the hot sun (I am living in greater Phoenix) is when I am at a golf course. Those days I put a sun shield in the front windscreen and crack open the moonroof when I am there. Just to protect the leather (not to mention keeping the car a touch cooler).

I suggest that you go into your dealership and check out cars with and without the leather dash and make your decision. It my be difficult because most of the cars, in my experience, come with dakota leather, not nappa. But if your dealership doesn't have any cars with the leather dash, try a 7 series at the dealership. They will likely have some with leather dash and window tops. I also suggest putting your elbow on both to see how each feels.

Overall, in my experience, you will love your car either way.

BTW, and not to steal your post, did you order the nightvision? I did and it is a cool feature.

One final note: whatever you do buyer remorse (did I order too much, too little, why this feature, why not another) will happen. So either way try to put the issue behind you and enjoy the car.

A final note on my experience. Treat it like any other BMW and drive it like you hate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, that's exactly my dilemma - I checked them out already at the dealership, leather looks a little bit better, plastic is not too bad either.
I have a Porsche, in which I did not order leather dash and I do miss it; although I think it's specific to the Porsche dashboard design - it just belongs there.
In the G30, I haven't noticed much difference. I have to go and look again.

Then there is the question of durability - and this car will spend most of its time on the driveway; the garage is occupied.

PS: no night vision - super cool feature indeed, but I live in suburban New York, everything is always lit up...no dark roads where I go.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
bananas2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530e

I chose to not order the leather dashboard because my car would be parked outside in the CA sun for 8 hours a day. The plastic one doesn't look too bad anyway, and I've seen how bad leather dashes can look once they start cracking. I just didn't want to deal with that.

I was also informed that the sensatec dashboard wasn't available anymore if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I saw that about sensatec no longer being an option. Shame, as I think it may have been the ideal material for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #6
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

The leather dash and alcantra headliner together boost the interior to be more worthy of it's price and luxury car class. Combined, the $1,500 on a lease is not significant payment wise and is options you see and feel everyday.
      05-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #7
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Prefer the plain plastic dash which looks fine to me. Where I live the sun and heat can potentially damage the leather covering. But then again, I keep my cars a very long time.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0