BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Prices: M2 vs M2C vs Market Alternatives

04-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Prices: M2 vs M2C vs Market Alternatives

While we all have a good understanding of what the M2 Competition features in regards to improvements from the current M2, there are now optional items that can be had at a price. Bearing in mind some of these items may become standard or included in a package of some sort put together by BMW in different regions/countries.

The M2 once had a very attractive price tag of $52k in the US and $55k with a package. The price has continued to increase for the 2017 and 2018 models.

However, with the M2 Competition, I'm sure there are packages or items that are 'must-have' among all of us. If the base price becomes lets say $58k and with some of these packages and options, it becomes $64-66k before the additional tax for the increased amount, this no longer becomes that car where it allows enthusiasts to easily step in.

Even if they had the current model specs for sale, it would be a difficult fork in the road for potential buyers. For me, if I'm going to spend a decent amount of money, I'd love to have the most current and latest spec that's got most of the justifiable bells and whistles that make me extremely content.

This is a beautiful car and my 'dream' car for the next several years. One that may lead me with good taste to continue with the brand whether M model daily driver or not.

However, there are many lightly used cars out there from different brands where depreciation has already taken a hit and deals can be negotiated.

Questions I've got for you:
1) What's your take on the M2 price increase from 2016 to 2019
2) What's the ideal price you'd pay to sign and still have a smile on your face?
3) Are you currently looking at other new/used vehicles, if so which ones?
4) At the end of the day, what are you really going to do once your allocation comes up?

This is a general discussion, if possible, please don't bring up price differences in countries unless it's relevant. Also, please don't make it repetitive like other threads that are beaten to death
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Pricing hasn't even been announced yet. How can anyone have a take?
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      04-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Well, to be fair, there's been plenty of facts that point to an increase in price rather than equal or lesser. In addition, read up on this thread to get the jist.

Taking that info and basing it on the speculated price mentioned in the original post, I think you're smart enough to have some feelings towards it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Quote:
Hope this helps
Attached Images

04-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

First of all, I personally think that most of current M2 owners have money for M2C fully loaded or F80/82 territory.

Dont think spending additional $$ (if less than 10k total) won't be a big issue even for potential buyer out there in the market IMHO.

The fact that you can just have around 380 whp stock engine without any additional bolts on or ECU modification (considering 405 bhp given by BMW officially makes me think that M2C will be around 380 range) still sound attractive to me.

Current M2 is just enough for you to enjoy the car full power on street with great handling. That was the very first attractive point that draw my attention from my old F80 to F87. 30 additional hp (+ factory proven HPFP + cooling) sounds very attractive to me regardless of exterior and interior changes. However, I am not sure it will retain as good noise as current N55. (I personally never liked my F80 N55 - well... it was non-ZCP)

Cutting into the point to answer your questions;

General increase 1k or less increase year to year. Was not a huge deal and I purchased MY18 and didnt consider much about the price adjustment compared to previous MY17 which was about 1k base in CAD. However, if fully loaded M2C comes in difference about 10K or more in CAD and crappy sound with just add-on 30 hp + interior seat and bigger breaks? Not my call.

2) What's the ideal price you'd pay to sign and still have a smile on your face?
If price in total with full option M2C is about 6k (USD as all you will think that currency easier) I would think it is reasonable. But again, if noise is not improved from current non-ZCP (even with ZCP) S55... Nope. Rather go back to F80.

Just made my move from F80 to F87. So not at this moment. Considering change of my wife's car from X4 to Q7 or Lincoln Navigator early next year (possibly X7 but thinking the price will be very high in the air).
Aiming at year 2020 G80. That is the point that I am waiting to change my current F87. (or P cars if I have enough budget)

4) At the end of the day, what are you really going to do once your allocation comes up?
Don't think I will be replacing my current M2 to M2C anyways. Mine is meant to be loved for longer and she deserves it. I dont treat cars as cellphone and don't have money to change them every time. Rather save my buck and wait few more years to see G80 (unfortunately not G82 as my wife said no more coupes..... ) which i am giving my fully positive expectation.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Questions I've got for you:
About what would be expected, no BMW stays at the same price as it ages, and we know they dont normally go down.. (MSRP wise)

out the door sticker 68 (not including tax, dest or aquisition.
I want Msport seats
Alpine white probably
DCT
437m
Msport Brakes
Comfort access if I can spec it by itself.

F80

If the price is right, id love to own one, if not ill just continue my hunt for an F80.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post

However, with the M2 Competition, I'm sure there are packages or items that are 'must-have' among all of us. If the base price becomes lets say $58k and with some of these packages and options, it becomes $64-66k before the additional tax for the increased amount, this no longer becomes that car where it allows enthusiasts to easily step in.
What packages are really must have? Manual is standard. Back up camera standard. Parking sensors standard.

The brakes and seats are FINE for spirited driving unless you intend on tracking the car enough to justify upgraded brakes and seats. If the N55 M2 was worth buying with the old brakes and seats then the M2C is fine with it as well (I guess you are stopping more weight though).

Comfort access, carbon on the dash, DCT, Nav if not included, striped seatbelts, new wheels, sun roof, all things you either don't need or don't want.

Adaptive LEDs everyone is in love with so I guess check that box/package if you must.

If you like the S55 and the additional cooling then it seems like the M2C is worth buying over the N55 M2 even if that means you don't check the boxes for seats, brakes, etc.

For me assuming the options/packages are similar to the M2 I would take adaptive LEDs which is probably a package, probably the DCT, maybe the striped belts depending on price, and I think that's it. I would save on the brakes and seats because the 2 series seats are comfortable. I would get HK color or LBB again. Maybe I get gloss carbon interior trim if they offer it, I can't help myself.
Appreciate 1
M3_WC1040.00
      04-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspoon View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. Why not just spec the M2C without the options that were not available on M2 and make it affordable? Are you insinuating the M2 wasn’t a good car without what you call the new “must-have” options?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
boostspoon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. Why not just spec the M2C without the options that were not available on M2 and make it affordable? Are you insinuating the M2 wasn’t a good car without what you call the new “must-have” options?
Where's your reading comprehension at? If the current M2 had these same these type options available, I'm sure there they would have been 'must have' for many. This isn't some degrading of the current M2, so get that nonsense out of here.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Considering the amount of money that BMW normally charges for their options, I'm guessing the Competition would start at $61K give or take.

I look at the amount of upgrades the C has over the current base M2 and that amount of increase sounds about right. It still leaves almost an $8k gap between the M4.

Whether the M2 is a good value for it's price depends on who you ask and what you are looking at. When you compare alternatives within the euro cars, it's a nice package as similarly priced cars such as the Audi S5 does not compare in performance or looks in my opinion.

But then one may ask, how come something as small as Apple car play isn't standard on at roughly $60k car when it is on $16k Fords? In that respect, BMWs are rip offs.

As far as alternatives, it really depends on what you are looking for. Do you like American cars? If so, they are your source for best bang for the buck performance wise. Camaros are really good for the money and Corvettes are full on sports car for a relatively low price. But some people won't ever buy an American car. If you don't mind a 4 door, the RS3 is stupid fast but it looks boring to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
hyperrift
Private
Rep

Yeah, or $300-400 for a rear-view camera when a ford fiesta has it for standard.
Appreciate 0