F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Question about Spotify integration
proTUNING Freaks

04-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Question about Spotify integration

I have a 2013 F30 wih CIC and Nav. After coding EBT, I can get Spotify to run if I connect my ipod to the center console USB (Androind phone user), but get intermittent album art and the ability to only go forward or back one song at a time. No playlists.

I was wondering (specifically for Canadian cars), which configuration will allow me to have playlists and better integration while using:

1- USB in center cosole
2 - Over BT

And in either case, is this with an iPhone or Android?

I am considering upgrading/modifying my entertainment and have been firmly stuck between upgrading to NBT (Non-Evo due to costs), Avin or wait for the Android Auto version of Unichip.

Thanks

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

I can't see playlists either through the cable or BT. Functionality is the same via either with NBT EVO ID5
      04-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
althafazh
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i Xdrive

Garage List
2013 bmw 335i  [0.00]
how can i play music over BT? i got a 2013 . i got a y cable for my iphone but cable is annoying .
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by althafazh View Post
how can i play music over BT? i got a 2013 . i got a y cable for my iphone but cable is annoying .
If you have a Combox, you can code enhanced Bluetooth. That way you can get rid of both the Y cable and stream over Bluetooth.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

I have zero issues using Spotify with the native app through iPhone on my 2012 F30's iDrive system. The same goes for Apple Music. USB connections are typically the best route for functionality, as long as you don't mind plugging in each and every time.
      04-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inthe6ix View Post
I have zero issues using Spotify with the native app through iPhone on my 2012 F30's iDrive system. The same goes for Apple Music. USB connections are typically the best route for functionality, as long as you don't mind plugging in each and every time.
Can I ask what you mean when you say Native app? is this an app on your iDrive or on your phone? do you see playlists in the iDrive when plugged in? Bluetooth streaming?

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
Can I ask what you mean when you say Native app? is this an app on your iDrive or on your phone? do you see playlists in the iDrive when plugged in? Bluetooth streaming?
Whenever I activate Soundcloud or Spotify on my iPhone while plugged into the USB connector, I get the app available on my iDrive system where I can toggle between playlists. I don't bluetooth stream Spotify ever, but I know for a fact it wouldn't have nearly the functionality that it does via USB - no playlists, album artwork, etc.
      04-03-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Whenever I activate Soundcloud or Spotify on my iPhone while plugged into the USB connector, I get the app available on my iDrive system where I can toggle between playlists. I don't bluetooth stream Spotify ever, but I know for a fact it wouldn't have nearly the functionality that it does via USB - no playlists, album artwork, etc.
do you have BMW apps or connected drive? CIC or NBT?
I plug my iPod in using the lightning cable, but do not see a Spotify app on the iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
as long as you don't mind plugging in each and every time.
Or just use an old phone. My old iPhone 5 lives in the car and provides Apple Music, syncronizes automatically over WiFi when the car is on a driveway.
      04-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I plug my iPod in using the lightning cable, but do not see a Spotify app on the iDrive.
Good question. I feel like I have BMW Apps and a non-functioning version of Connected Drive. I also think my unit is NBT, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I took some pictures to show you what I was referring to:

How it looks on iDrive

Not sure how these turned into screenshots, but they show the interface somewhat.

and lastly, how the connection looks on my iPhone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Or just use an old phone. My old iPhone 5 lives in the car and provides Apple Music, syncronizes automatically over WiFi when the car is on a driveway.

That works too. I honestly don't mind plugging my phone in. This method keeps it out of my hands while I drive
      04-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good question. I feel like I have BMW Apps and a non-functioning version of Connected Drive. I also think my unit is NBT, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I took some pictures to show you what I was referring to:

How it looks on iDrive

Not sure how these turned into screenshots, but they show the interface somewhat.

and lastly, how the connection looks on my iPhone:

Quote:

That works too. I honestly don't mind plugging my phone in. This method keeps it out of my hands while I drive
Wow. that is awesome. I am going to check both my car and my wife's shortly as I have a 2013 F30 with CIC and she has a 2015 X3 with NBT.

Do you mind if I ask what model year your car is from and if you could check using a VIN decoder to see what options you have?

thanks.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow. that is awesome. I am going to check both my car and my wife's shortly as I have a 2013 F30 with CIC and she has a 2015 X3 with NBT.

Do you mind if I ask what model year your car is from and if you could check using a VIN decoder to see what options you have?

thanks.
Car is a 2012 328i

These are the audio-related options on the vehicle. It looks like I have CIC..?

S645A BMW US Radio

S688A Harman/Kardon Surround Sound system

S693A Preparation BMW satellite radio

S697A Area-Code 1 for DVD

S6AAA BMW TeleServices

S6ABA Control for Teleservices

S6NFA Music interface for Smartphone

S6NLA Connection Bluetooth + USB devices incl.

S6NRA Apps

S6VAA CIC-Zusteuerung
      04-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #13
rezadue
Canada
Rep

Thanks for all the replies Daniel. Comparing our builds, I have everything you have except:

S6AAA BMW TeleServices
S6NLA C streaming).onnection Bluetooth + USB devices incl.
S6NRA Apps

In looking at these options, it would seem like 6AA and 6AB have nothing to do with Spotify Integration. 6NF should be just the baseplate for older iPhones. Which leaves us with 6NL and 6NR.

In my case instead of 6NL, I have 6NH. But I have changed my build to 6NK instead of 6NL so that I can get enhanced bluetooth (2 phones paired at a time, bluetooth streaming, album art work and Office integration).

And I believe 6NL and 6NK are the same except for cars with Teleservices, the option is 6NL instead of 6NK (CIC).

So it seems like the only difference that could add what you have shown in your pictures is indeed 6NR which is BMW apps!!

Based on this I am going to get my contact to get me an FSC code so I can code in 6NR.

Of course I will have to switch one of my 2 phones to an iPhone to get the functionality, but I can do that with my "work" phone....

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #14
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:

I'm too old, I always forget my phone if I connect it to the car!
      04-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

It’s 6nr that allows for apps and the full Spotify integration with playlists. After 2015 I believe it’s 6ak that allows it too. I retorfitted an nbt that had 6ak fsc code already and with an emulator I’m able to have Spotify app with playlists. U first need to open bmw connect then Spotify. In other words make sure bmw app is opened in background. U need nbt evo to do the same thru Bluetooth otherwise it needs to b plugged into center armrest usb.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #16
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies Daniel. Comparing our builds, I have everything you have except:

S6AAA BMW TeleServices
S6NLA C streaming).onnection Bluetooth + USB devices incl.
S6NRA Apps

In looking at these options, it would seem like 6AA and 6AB have nothing to do with Spotify Integration. 6NF should be just the baseplate for older iPhones. Which leaves us with 6NL and 6NR.

In my case instead of 6NL, I have 6NH. But I have changed my build to 6NK instead of 6NL so that I can get enhanced bluetooth (2 phones paired at a time, bluetooth streaming, album art work and Office integration).

And I believe 6NL and 6NK are the same except for cars with Teleservices, the option is 6NL instead of 6NK (CIC).

So it seems like the only difference that could add what you have shown in your pictures is indeed 6NR which is BMW apps!!

Based on this I am going to get my contact to get me an FSC code so I can code in 6NR.

Of course I will have to switch one of my 2 phones to an iPhone to get the functionality, but I can do that with my "work" phone....
The coding you can do with these cars simply blows me away. I need to do some more research myself to see if there's anything that I find really worthwhile to code into mine once the warranty is up.

No problem - glad to help!

Quote:
I'm too old, I always forget my phone if I connect it to the car!
I keep mine on my passenger seat as long as nobody is sitting beside me. If I have someone with me, I keep it in the centre console (which makes me more prone to forgetting about it)