BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Bad News! Production Delay

01-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
FAZKW
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S8

Bad News! Production Delay

I would love some confirmation from anyone who's had similar news.

I placed my order for an M5 with the following specs in November '17:
  • Brilliant White Metallic
  • Tartufo Full Merino Leather
  • 20" Bicolor wheels
  • M Sport Exhaust System

I was promised February production with delivery happening in late March or early April. I just received an email from my dealer saying that there is a shortage in supply of Merino leather, and all builds with Merino leather will be delayed to May 2018 production or later!

That means I will receive the car realistically only in July or August. I am actually considering cancelling my order and shopping for something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

That's ashame -- That Tartufo is a beautiful leather color! But look at the bright side, if you hold out just a little bit longer you may be able to catch the next model year that should begin production in June/July and likely be able to get Competition Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAZKW View Post
I would love some confirmation from anyone who's had similar news.

I placed my order for an M5 with the following specs in November '17:
  • Brilliant White Metallic
  • Tartufo Full Merino Leather
  • 20" Bicolor wheels
  • M Sport Exhaust System

I was promised February production with delivery happening in late March or early April. I just received an email from my dealer saying that there is a shortage in supply of Merino leather, and all builds with Merino leather will be delayed to May 2018 production or later!

That means I will receive the car realistically only in July or August. I am actually considering cancelling my order and shopping for something else.
A few things I'm scratching my head on here... First, there is no "Brilliant White Metallic" option in the configurator. Second, ALL leather options are some form of Merino leather. Based on what you stated, this would imply that all builds (since all are Merino leather) are delayed to May 2018 or later.

Sounds like the dealer is pulling some trickery or the facts aren't straight.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
FAZKW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
A few things I'm scratching my head on here... First, there is no "Brilliant White Metallic" option in the configurator. Second, ALL leather options are some form of Merino leather. Based on what you stated, this would imply that all builds (since all are Merino leather) are delayed to May 2018 or later.

The brilliant white metallic is an individual color, and you are right to say that it isn't on the configurator, but its part of the individual collection. As for the Merino leather, I just realised that your right! The only difference being that Tartufo is part of the Individual package and is "full" as opposed to "extended".

I guess the dealer needs a visit to understand what the hell is happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
FAZKW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post

Apologies for the multiple replies. I just double checked the dealer's email and he did say that the "individual full merino" leather is the issue. So if he's being straight, it means that all orders with Caramel, Smoke White, and Tartufo Full Merino Leather should be delayed.

Anyone facing issues? Anyone with the above 3 interior colors getting their cars soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

I say welcome the wait and get the competition package. Sometimes there are happy accidents.
Appreciate 1
mvigod179.50
      01-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
I say welcome the wait and get the competition package. Sometimes there are happy accidents.
True...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #8
eclipxe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

My order is not delayed - it completed production December 22. Not full merino leather, just extended.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 04:40 AM   #9
FAZKW
Rep

uniqueMR @[somer]

Thanks for the positivity with the CP, however the car is too expensive as it is! Unless you're saying ditch the individual leather and individual paint and go for the CP... hmm. It actually might come out the same that way!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer View Post
That's ashame -- That Tartufo is a beautiful leather color! But look at the bright side, if you hold out just a little bit longer you may be able to catch the next model year that should begin production in June/July and likely be able to get Competition Package.
This ^^
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #11
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I ordered my car last year as well in October and was confirmed no specific date but appr. March/April. It will be in Azurite will full caramel leather. I said it's too late as my lease of the M5 F10 ends in February. So my dealer gave me the (written) promise that I can keep the F10 as long as it takes to get the new car if I keep on paying the regular lease rate. The dealer will pay for any warranty/service/repair costs after the official lease end (except accidents). Which will be most likely a set of brakes at least and an oil service. May would be fine with me as I will pick up the car in Munich and have the better weather for a trip back home.
      01-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #12
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Could the production be delayed because you are doing two individual options? I would presume BMW will prioritize standard colors first so they can fill their order bank and produce cars faster. Keep in mind you initiated a special order at the beginning of a production for a new model.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
FAZKW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Could the production be delayed because you are doing two individual options? I would presume BMW will prioritize standard colors first so they can fill their order bank and produce cars faster. Keep in mind you initiated a special order at the beginning of a production for a new model.
I actually went to my dealer yesterday and sat down with the sales manager. Before even telling him my order specs, he told me if you're delayed it's because you probably ordered individual leather. The Brilliant white metallic adds about 4-6 weeks to production which was already factored into my production/delivery time when I placed the order. Apparently they have a shortage of the 3 choices of individual leather (Smoke White, Tartufo, Caramel).

So, I basically made a decision that I will not take a 2018 MY delivered in August, I would rather wait for July production and take a 2019 MY. I also asked him to find me a solution and get me in an M2 or M3 at no or minimal cost (wishful thinking) until my M5 arrives.

Let's see what he can come up with!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 04:09 AM   #14
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

FAZKW So you are saying that the individual leather will delay delivery from early April until August? Which is between 4-5 months delay?
      01-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #15
FAZKW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensputzier View Post
FAZKW So you are saying that the individual leather will delay delivery from early April until August? Which is between 4-5 months delay?
Yes, but keep in mind I am speaking about delivery to Kuwait, which includes 30-50 days of transit from Munich to Kuwait and dealer PDI and so on.

Basically, I was promised February production, but then they told me because of the individual leather shortage, all cars with that option will start production in May at the earliest.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 03:44 AM   #16
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but keep in mind I am speaking about delivery to Kuwait, which includes 30-50 days of transit from Munich to Kuwait and dealer PDI and so on.

Basically, I was promised February production, but then they told me because of the individual leather shortage, all cars with that option will start production in May at the earliest.
OK. I called my dealer yesterday to get a delivery date. I ordered last year for delivery March/April. Regular delivery for the M5 was supposed to start end of March.

He said he knew about the leather shortage but that that should not impact my cars delivery. There are some emission problems for BMW in general but nothing to do with the M5.

Today I shall receive more information ;-)
      01-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
jensputzier
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:

My dealer called me yesterday to confirm that my car can be picked up as confirmed on May 2nd or later in Munich. With Azurite and full caramel leather. He did confirm that no M5 (or any other car) can be ordered with individual leather anymore and that other previous orders were postponed until August or later.

So 15 weeks to go.
      01-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #18
mr_djurgarden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 F90

No confirmation from my dealer. A wild guess is in May.

------------------------
2018 M5 F90
2015 M5 F10 Competition Package
2012 M5 F10
Appreciate 0