BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Anyone have the Dynamic Handling package for M550?

12-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
M42N8
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordering an M550

Anyone have the Dynamic Handling package for M550?

I am going to be ordering an M550 soon and am seriously considering the Dynamic Handling package (in an effort to make it as close as I can to an M5), but when I have been searching for already existing M550s on lots, I'm seeing that it doesn't seem to be a very popular option (as far as I can see, and granted haven't read every detail of every M550 for sale across the US). Anyway....just wondering if anyone here with one has that option and what your thoughts are on it? Worth it?

One thing I learned is that if you do get this option, you can't lower the car. I wanted to lower the car a bit with Dinan springs just to give it a more aggressive look, but the BMW Genius at my local dealer said if you put alternate springs on the car that has the Dynamic Handling package, it'll throw up faults on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
strumbringer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
I can't compare with the Dinan springs, but if you haven't driven one with and without, I highly recommend doing it before ordering. For me, it was night and day in terms of handling. I think the DHP is a must-have on the G30 for anyone who cares about handling.

Although I liked the M550 with DHP plenty, I ended up getting a 540 with DHP (lighter, more agile, less weight in the nose). If it hadn't been for the DHP, I'd have probably gone E43.

YMMV, which is why I strongly suggest trying it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42N8 View Post
I am going to be ordering an M550 soon and am seriously considering the Dynamic Handling package ...

I learned is that if you do get this option, you can't lower the car. I wanted to lower the car a bit with Dinan springs just to give it a more aggressive look, but the BMW Genius at my local dealer said if you put alternate springs on the car that has the Dynamic Handling package, it'll throw up faults on the dash.
That is not what Dinan says, they have a package that works with the M550i with the DHP....
http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1439771

The demo I drove did not have DHP, I ordered it and it made significant difference. I would not call it M5 like, but it does handle better IMO..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

My understanding is that the springs were softer in the DHP. If so then the change is more dramatic in that setup. I would think you would want a lower spring rate for DHP too. I would certainly want to talk to Dinan directly and in detail about the assumption and the results, specifically have they tested it on a DHP car. I would want to be convinced about the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
Belford
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550 w/DHP

Quote:
I am going to be ordering an M550 soon and am seriously considering the Dynamic Handling package (in an effort to make it as close as I can to an M5), but when I have been searching for already existing M550s on lots, I'm seeing that it doesn't seem to be a very popular option (as far as I can see, and granted haven't read every detail of every M550 for sale across the US). Anyway....just wondering if anyone here with one has that option and what your thoughts are on it? Worth it?

One thing I learned is that if you do get this option, you can't lower the car. I wanted to lower the car a bit with Dinan springs just to give it a more aggressive look, but the BMW Genius at my local dealer said if you put alternate springs on the car that has the Dynamic Handling package, it'll throw up faults on the dash.
I have the DHP. IMHO, the DHP package suspension on the Sport mode selection provides much better and noticeable feel than my last car, which was the 2015 550i with M Sport package. So I'd recommend it based on your interest in M performance. And it rides quite a bit lower than the 2015 550i, so am liking the more aggressive stance of the M550 (and mine has the 668 20" sport rims)
      01-02-2018, 11:02 PM   #6
macastel1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belford View Post
Quote:

I have the DHP. IMHO, the DHP package suspension on the Sport mode selection provides much better and noticeable feel than my last car, which was the 2015 550i with M Sport package. So I'd recommend it based on your interest in M performance. And it rides quite a bit lower than the 2015 550i, so am liking the more aggressive stance of the M550 (and mine has the 668 20" sport rims)
I am going through the same situation as you did. My 550i x sports package lease is coming to an end in 4mo and I am thinking about getting an M550.
Did you lease or buy? You mind sharing your MSRP. Any main differences between the 2 vehicles (i mean besides the obvious ones)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Belford
Rep

Excluding standard new technology, etc that you'd find on any G30, two differences I've been pleasantly surprised by are:

1) I'm still in the break-in period so haven't done launch control yet, but when I do quick accelerating, there is none of the rear wheel skipping my 550i used to have. Throttle more responsive, plus the xDrive provides tons of grip.

2) in the 550i the difference between Comfort and Sport settings was only slightly noticeable. But in the M550 it is very noticeable. Stiffer ride, louder engine, more responsive throttle. I tend to drive it in Sport, whereas my wife prefers Comfort.

I leased. MSRP was $83,845 (which includes the $995 destination charge). Includes DHP, both Driving Assistance Packages (I like the all the camera views for tight city parking), Parking Assistance, 20" wheels w/RFT, heated seats and Apple CarPlay. Unlike my 550i, I didn't get the Executive Package or seats with A/C this time, as I didn't feel those were of much value to me. However, I wonder if maybe I should've gone with the Executive Package due to the wireless charging. Seems like it could be a useful feature.
      01-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belford View Post
Excluding standard new technology, etc that you'd find on any G30, two differences I've been pleasantly surprised by are:

1) I'm still in the break-in period so haven't done launch control yet, but when I do quick accelerating, there is none of the rear wheel skipping my 550i used to have. Throttle more responsive, plus the xDrive provides tons of grip.

2) in the 550i the difference between Comfort and Sport settings was only slightly noticeable. But in the M550 it is very noticeable. Stiffer ride, louder engine, more responsive throttle. I tend to drive it in Sport, whereas my wife prefers Comfort.

I leased. MSRP was $83,845 (which includes the $995 destination charge). Includes DHP, both Driving Assistance Packages (I like the all the camera views for tight city parking), Parking Assistance, 20" wheels w/RFT, heated seats and Apple CarPlay. Unlike my 550i, I didn't get the Executive Package or seats with A/C this time, as I didn't feel those were of much value to me. However, I wonder if maybe I should've gone with the Executive Package due to the wireless charging. Seems like it could be a useful feature.
I am making the same change as you did, coming from the 550i.

Is there an appreciable difference in handling? Is it more stable and direct than the 550i and does it nose dive tremendously during a hard braking like the 550i? I miss my e60 545i which was a perfect handling car.
      01-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #9
Belford
Rep

I've done some hard stops in the M550 and it doesn't dive like the 550i did. Real test would be on the track though. To your point, I tracked my 550i a couple times at Laguna Seca and would generally have to brake early to get the diving out of the way so the car was more balanced in the turn.