BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Production tracking for European customers

12-06-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Production tracking for European customers

So the Yankees have this neat number they can call and receive updates on what's going on with the car.

Us europoors on the other hand are left with nothing. I was so frustrated that I even tried calling the american number to seeing whether it's going to work, but the machine thingy didn;t even understand my borat accent.

In any case, here's a trick for seeing whether your car has finished production. Once you have your VIN number, go to bimmer.work to decode it. If the "production date" row has a timestamp, it means production ended. If it shows "0001-01-01", it means things are still being built.

Now the cool thing. Start decoding lower numbered VINs one by one - so if your vin is XXXXX50, try XXXXX49 - write down the production dates for each of the lower digit. I used an excel sheet, and after checking quite a few numbers, I had a neat excel sheet with the following conclusions:
  • The Graz factory pumps up around 40 G30's with my engine type per week, with an average of 8,6 cars per day (based on a 4 week data)
  • My VIN is 12th in the queue atm (based on the VIN digits), and this week graz pumped out only 22 cars so far so they have some catching up to do
  • Main conclusion: My car should be finished on Friday, so I should get a neat present to unwrap under the tree this christmas
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

You won't get any sympathy from me. Your car can be trucked directly to you. Mine has to go half way around the world and throught he Panama Canal. Your trip is so short you don't need the BMWNA genius.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #3
bpma
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5C Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
You won't get any sympathy from me. Your car can be trucked directly to you. Mine has to go half way around the world and throught he Panama Canal. Your trip is so short you don't need the BMWNA genius.
and vice versa - my lease on a 530i is around $1.850 USD, you could probably get an M5 for that kind of payment in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxpxp View Post
If the "production date" row has a timestamp, it means production ended. If it shows "0001-01-01", it means things are still being built.
Don't believe that is correct. Production dates are assigned and listed before the actual production date. e.g. Mine had a production date listed a week or two (can't remember which) before the actual date. I've seen some say that the date is when production will be complete but I don't believe that is correct either. Mine for example, was at "paint shop" status a few days after the date listed on Bimmer.work Best I can tell is it is a production start date and it typically takes a couple of days to complete. All in all, it's difficult to tell because these systems don't seem to be real time - there's varying delays for the updates to happen.
Appreciate 0