BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
CalgaryAndUK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 650 640D

"Instrument Panel" vs "Dashboard"

The UK December 2017 price list has an option called "Instrument Panel in Sensatec". This shows as a chargeable extra for all variants, including the M40i. However, in the same brochure, on the M40i page, it says the M40i comes with "Sensatec Dashboard" as standard. I am confused - is a "Dashboard" different from a "Instrument Panel"?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAndUK View Post
The UK December 2017 price list has an option called "Instrument Panel in Sensatec". This shows as a chargeable extra for all variants, including the M40i. However, in the same brochure, on the M40i page, it says the M40i comes with "Sensatec Dashboard" as standard. I am confused - is a "Dashboard" different from a "Instrument Panel"?
That is confusing. 4AW Fake Leather Dashboard is Standard on the M40i and included in the Luxury Package on the 30i here in the USA.

Not sure what happened or why the UK site changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
That is confusing. 4AW Fake Leather Dashboard is Standard on the M40i and included in the Luxury Package on the 30i here in the USA.

Not sure what happened or why the UK site changed.
Here in Australia the Luxury Pack removed Sensatec dash option.
You can still spec it up as a seperate option, but I’m not sure if this includes the sensatec on all 4 doors in the windowsill area in addition to dash or only the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Erskineblue
A BMW fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) 2.0D M Sport

Sensatec currently unavailable in UK til Q3/4 in UK !

Just had a call from my dealer re my X3 order (due for delivery in March 2018). Ordered the M Sport in Phytonic Blue with the Black Vernasca Leather and blue stitching. (When you order this specific upholstery you automatically must take the Sensatec dashboard option).

Apparently the dealer has just been contacted by BMW to say that no deliveries that include Sensatec can be made before Q3 or Q4 of 2018. I have asked that I still be allowed to keep the black leather/blue stitching combo and am awaiting a response! (not impressed!)

Dealer believes that I may have to select different upholstery ( even though its a Sensatec issue?).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

I have same leather/dash combo and due for delivery end Jan/early Feb but have not heard anything about that from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

In Canada the leatherette dashboard can only be had as part of the Executive package for $2200 CAD which also adds ventilated seats.
Or as part of the Ultimate package.
I believe the ventilated seats can be deleted.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:53 AM   #7
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryAndUK View Post
It's a mistake in the price list. It is standard on the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erskineblue View Post
Just had a call from my dealer re my X3 order (due for delivery in March 2018). Ordered the M Sport in Phytonic Blue with the Black Vernasca Leather and blue stitching. (When you order this specific upholstery you automatically must take the Sensatec dashboard option).

Apparently the dealer has just been contacted by BMW to say that no deliveries that include Sensatec can be made before Q3 or Q4 of 2018. I have asked that I still be allowed to keep the black leather/blue stitching combo and am awaiting a response! (not impressed!)

Dealer believes that I may have to select different upholstery ( even though its a Sensatec issue?).
I would find one from dealer stock. There is a POV run on YouTube of a blue m-sport that looks surprisingly barren w/o that dashboard.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Rhino707
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

They just want you to change to the M40i which has Sensatec as standard!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is the same in Australia. First batch had Sensatec... but not orderable on new cars.
I was unable to find existing stock in the combo I wanted.
So I’m not getting Sensatec unfortunately. I really like the premium feel it gives the interior. Oh well..... I chose cognac upholstery as a contrast to hopefully give that sense of old world luxury.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #11
Erskineblue
A BMW fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
I have same leather/dash combo and due for delivery end Jan/early Feb but have not heard anything about that from my dealer.
Let me know if you hear anything please, because to say I am annoyed is an understatement. Blue car, blue mats, blue stitching and the M colour logo stitched into the seam, that’s what I expected and am now told I cannot have.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Erskineblue
A BMW fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino707 View Post
They just want you to change to the M40i which has Sensatec as standard!

Not happening, but bizarre none the less!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 03:38 AM   #13
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Let me know if you hear anything please, because to say I am annoyed is an understatement. Blue car, blue mats, blue stitching and the M colour logo stitched into the seam, that’s what I expected and am now told I cannot have.
To clarify, you are ordering an M40i?

Edit: just re-read and sounds like you’re not so maybe that has something to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #14
Delija
VIP
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
I would find one from dealer stock. There is a POV run on YouTube of a blue m-sport that looks surprisingly barren w/o that dashboard.
Have you seen and touched both variants in person?

For me Sensatec dashboard (and door upper trim panel) looks and feels very cheap - worse than standard soft plastic dashboard.

Unfortunately, it only looks good on pictures/videos and from distance.

Last edited by Delija; 12-31-2017 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Have you seen and touched both variants in person?

For me Sensatec dashboard (and door upper trim panel) looks and feels very cheap - worse than standard soft plastic dashboard.

Unfortunately, it only looks good on pictures/videos and from distance.
Interesting observation. I assume the sensatec dash is the standard dash in the M40i, which struck me as being acceptable and certainly no worse than the soft touch dash in my 2015 X3, though I didn't focus much on it. What about it made it feel cheap? (Is it harder than the soft touch version?)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
Delija
VIP
Rep

In Europe Sensatec dashboard is mandatory only with black leather with blue contrast stitching (MANL) and it's also part of the Luxury Line package. I'm not sure for USA.

It's not harder than standard plastic dashboard, but it just looks and feels so artificial, especially on the doors which are closer to the eyes. With plastic you know what to expect and it's also very high grade if you compare it with other cars, even with older BMWs from similar range - e.g. with my F30.

Artico artificial leather in Benz looks and feels better - and I'm no fan of Benz.
I'm not sure whether the real leather dashboard will be available later - as on G30.

Of course - every one should see it in person and decide for himself. That is just my opinion.

p.s. There is very similar topic on Bimmerfest forum

Last edited by Delija; 12-31-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:31 PM   #17
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I don't have any complaints about it and looks nicer than the soft touch dash in my F31. It's not as nice as the nappa leather dash on the my XC90, but the interior leather isn't as nice either. It looks good though and matches the rest of the interior, I don't see much of a difference in the look between it and what's on the seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
Delija
VIP
Rep

Standard dashboard material is also better than the one in F30.

The difference between Sensatec and Dakota leather is HUGE. Not even close.
      01-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
This is the same in Australia. First batch had Sensatec... but not orderable on new cars.
I was unable to find existing stock in the combo I wanted.
So I’m not getting Sensatec unfortunately. I really like the premium feel it gives the interior. Oh well..... I chose cognac upholstery as a contrast to hopefully give that sense of old world luxury.
Do you have an M40i on order cvee?

I have an M40i on order and haven't been informed of any deletion of the Sensatec dashboard.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 11:46 PM   #20
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMW84 View Post
Do you have an M40i on order cvee?

I have an M40i on order and haven't been informed of any deletion of the Sensatec dashboard.
I didn’t realise the M40i was now available. When do they think it will start shipping?
I meant for all other X3 models. I ordered a 30i and could not get Sensatec.

I assume they are restricting Sensatec to ensure it is available for other markets.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
I didn’t realise the M40i was now available. When do they think it will start shipping?
I meant for all other X3 models. I ordered a 30i and could not get Sensatec.

I assume they are restricting Sensatec to ensure it is available for other markets.
Australian M40i's will only go into production in April. Sensatec is listed as a standard feature so they must be limiting availability across the range to ensure Sensatec is available for the M40i.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMW84 View Post
Australian M40i's will only go into production in April. Sensatec is listed as a standard feature so they must be limiting availability across the range to ensure Sensatec is available for the M40i.
That sounds about right.
Appreciate 1
OzBMW8448.50