BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Is the G01 X3, Baby Friendly?

I haven't been in the new X3 personally yet. But I feel like with a baby seat in the back of the x3 (looking at pics) it will be kinda cramped.. as in the front seat won't be able to be back to a comfortable position and has to be moved up in order to fit the baby seat.

I don't have a baby yet but this vehicle will likely see baby duty (hopefully) within the 3 years it'll be with us. My M3 is already on the smaller size, so its like do I go with the size of the X5, or hedge with more size than an M3 (less than an X5) but also more power than an X5.

Size out of the equation, it'd be M40i all the way.

I need to borrow someone's baby seat and take a trip to the dealer lol.

Anyone have a baby seat and a G01 willing to strap up and take a few pictures for me?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
As you probably know, the main issue you will have is when the seat is rear facing. In absence on a car seat, you can measure. I looked up a few of the most popular ones I’m aware of and it looks like they need between 28” and 29.2” of clearance.

My guess is that you’ll probably be fine unless the driver is extremely tall. Our first car seat was in a RAV4 and we never noticed an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
As you probably know, the main issue you will have is when the seat is rear facing. In absence on a car seat, you can measure. I looked up a few of the most popular ones I’m aware of and it looks like they need between 28” and 29.2” of clearance.

My guess is that you’ll probably be fine unless the driver is extremely tall. Our first car seat was in a RAV4 and we never noticed an issue.
Yea my wife and I aren't exactly blessed with the gift of height. #IndianHeritage. lol

I'm 5'8" shes like 5'2"

So... I'm thinking its not going to be an issue to have a rear facing seat behind the passenger seat.

My friends tell me that most of the time either they or their spouses ride in the back seat with the kid anyway while its rear facing.

I just don't want the vehicle that was specifically intended to be the family car, to feel cramped. I also dont want to be bored outta my mind with it. So, trying to find that right balance.

Those numbers are extremely helpful though, thank you. Do you measure from the back of the front seat to the back rest of the rear seat?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Yea my wife and I aren't exactly blessed with the gift of height. #IndianHeritage. lol

I'm 5'8" shes like 5'2"

So... I'm thinking its not going to be an issue to have a rear facing seat behind the passenger seat.

My friends tell me that most of the time either they or their spouses ride in the back seat with the kid anyway while its rear facing.

I just don't want the vehicle that was specifically intended to be the family car, to feel cramped. I also dont want to be bored outta my mind with it. So, trying to find that right balance.

Those numbers are extremely helpful though, thank you. Do you measure from the back of the front seat to the back rest of the rear seat?
They usually contact the rear seat back about 6” up, so I’d measure about middle of the rear seat to middle of the back seat. I’m sure you can find a lot of photos I like of rear facing seats installed in cars to get an idea.

I’ll have my car hopefully within a week or two and I could take some photos if it isn’t too late.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
They usually contact the rear seat back about 6” up, so I’d measure about middle of the rear seat to middle of the back seat. I’m sure you can find a lot of photos I like of rear facing seats installed in cars to get an idea.

I’ll have my car hopefully within a week or two and I could take some photos if it isn’t too late.
Plenty of time. I'm still in my prelim stages of the next one since our M3 still hasnt' arrived from our ED yet. I'm looking at next spring for a final decision. So yes if no one else has done it yet I'd love it if you could post some?

I'll go to the dealer by then I'm sure but still would love to have some comparision pics to share with the wife.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

You shouldn't have an issue.

If it's your first child and you want to stretch out, put the baby seat in the middle - you'll have plenty of space. You only HAVE to put the baby seat behind the passenger seat for number two, if it comes to that.

When we got our second, my wife got a 2016 X1 and the baby seat fit fine (she is 5'5 - the seat had to be moved up but she sat comfortably - it was a bit cramped for me at 6' if i ever had to sit in the passenger seat though). You'll want to double check measurements though. In the X1, there is only enough space if you get the sliding rear seat (it gives more legroom/baby seat space when pushed all the way back) - the stock fixed rear seat would have been uncomfortable.

On the X3 I imagine you should have more space, but you'll want to see if there is a difference (I'm not sure if the X3 has a sliding rear seat option).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

The seat clearances aren't that much different than the current X3. If you already have a car seat, take it to the dealer and check.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #8
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
OP, picking up our X3 on friday morning.
we sold the 2017 X1 because our newborn (2 months) rear facing Nuna Pipa baby seat didn't allow for my wife to sit in the front passenger seat comfortably (she's 5'2). She still wants to sit in the back with him but having the front passenger seat unusable was totally annoying to me. I'll post pictures of the setup this weekend, from what i saw when i took pictures of the car yesterday, there should be a lot more room.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 02:51 AM   #9
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
we sold the 2017 X1 because our newborn (2 months) rear facing Nuna Pipa baby seat didn't allow for my wife to sit in the front passenger seat comfortably (she's 5'2). She still wants to sit in the back with him but having the front passenger seat unusable was totally annoying to me. I'll post pictures of the setup this weekend, from what i saw when i took pictures of the car yesterday, there should be a lot more room.
Why not put the rear facing baby carrier in the middle seat of the 2nd row? That's the safest place for it and it allows both front seats to be fully adjusted and keeps the 2 outboard rear seats available for use.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Why not put the rear facing baby carrier in the middle seat of the 2nd row? That's the safest place for it and it allows both front seats to be fully adjusted and keeps the 2 outboard rear seats available for use.
I was at a dealer picking up my wife's car from service last night, they had a few X3's and it seeped to me that there were 3 isofix mounting locations in the back seat so a baby seat might fit in the middle. I have not had to deal with that in several years, but the baby seats seem to be wider so you need to be sure that the middle position will not interfere with both front seats.

Of course there is still the Dodge Caravan... The shuttle to and from the dealer here is a black Dodge Caravan, oh the performance, handling and luxury (not really). But you can still put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom View Post
I was at a dealer picking up my wife's car from service last night, they had a few X3's and it seeped to me that there were 3 isofix mounting locations in the back seat so a baby seat might fit in the middle. I have not had to deal with that in several years, but the baby seats seem to be wider so you need to be sure that the middle position will not interfere with both front seats.

Of course there is still the Dodge Caravan... The shuttle to and from the dealer here is a black Dodge Caravan, oh the performance, handling and luxury (not really). But you can still put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back!
I think the fact that BMW (and Volvo for that matter) only puts isofix/latch on the outboard seats confuses people. Isofix/latch is only there for ease of use, to make it easy to get the seat installed correctly but it isn't any safer. A base for an infant carrier is dead simple to install with a seat belt and there's no reason not to install it in the middle seat that way. It's the safest place for a carseat, as long as you install it correctly with the seatbelt.

Luckily most of the infant carriers are not as wide as a rear facing convertible, we would use our Chicco Keyfit 30 in the center seat of our F31 and both latch points were usable on the outboard seats on either side of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #12
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Quote:
Did you ever get this set up?

We just got a G01 and I set up the Nuna Pipa base for our 2-month-old, and I'm having trouble getting it balanced properly.

I think the main issue is that the rigid latch connectors have to go in at a specific angle, and that angle doesn't allow me to pop up the recline adjustment piece. I tried popping a towel that's not as tall as that recline adjuster, but it made no difference in the balance of the base. So as of right now, the base is balanced just a little bit too far down towards the back of the car and the bubble is just past the line.

Curious if you (or anyone else with the Pipa) was able to get this set up with the rigid latch connectors, or if you ended up having to use a different anchor.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #13
PortImperialBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I wouldn't worry about the leg room. It's all about the crampedness that comes with toting all the stuff that comes with a baby ie toys, strollers and bags. I have an X3 and an X5. A lot of times I feel like I need a Lincoln Navigator. That being said I don't notice a big difference in all honesty. I prefer driving the X3 so we make everything fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:15 AM   #14
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

5'11" and 5'5", two car seats and we're fine in our F25 X3. I don't do the super reclined cruise so it was never going to be an issue for me. I can't imagine the G01 will be down on space.

We've also done the following configs: 1. center bucket (Britax); 2. center rear facing (Evenflo); 3. passenger side rear facing (Evenflo); 4: driver side bucket (Britax) + passenger side front facing (Diono); 5; driver side rear facing (Britax) + passenger side front facing (Diono); 6: both sides front facing (Britax + Diono)

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
ac328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328is, 528e, 335i, X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Works great, I bought the X3 M40i, because I have a new baby. The stroller and car seat can take up a lot of space. This car works great, I would have gotten an M3 but lost the battle with the wife lol.
2006 SG E85 Z4 3.0si
1996 AW E36 328is (original owner) 1986 DG E28 528e
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac328 View Post
Works great, I bought the X3 M40i, because I have a new baby. The stroller and car seat can take up a lot of space. This car works great, I would have gotten an M3 but lost the battle with the wife lol.
Just get both
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #17
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

My baby has some what of a hard time seeing over the dash and reaching the pedals but I would say it is definitely baby friendly. 😂
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #18
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post

We just got a G01 and I set up the Nuna Pipa base for our 2-month-old, and I'm having trouble getting it balanced properly.

I think the main issue is that the rigid latch connectors have to go in at a specific angle, and that angle doesn't allow me to pop up the recline adjustment piece. I tried popping a towel that's not as tall as that recline adjuster, but it made no difference in the balance of the base. So as of right now, the base is balanced just a little bit too far down towards the back of the car and the bubble is just past the line.

Curious if you (or anyone else with the Pipa) was able to get this set up with the rigid latch connectors, or if you ended up having to use a different anchor.
with my F34 i had to wedge a towel between the seat back and the nuna base, not under it, to get the bubble to touch the line.

it was a similar issue to what you describe, no way to engage the latch connectors with the riser flipped down, without the riser flipped down, the angle was too much.

retract the load leg and push down gently on the front of the base. if the bubble hits the line, the towel between the base and the seat back should work.

i'll be ordering a G01 to replace the F34 in a few weeks, planning on fitting the base in the middle.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 1
MrPorter182.50
      09-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Tradecraft
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2019 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorter View Post
Quote:

I just had the same issue with a Nuna Pipa base. It's just not compatible with a few BMW models using the latches. Found a thread where someone called Nuna to ask, and they said just install with the seatbelt only.

Luckily we just got a convertible car seat for our second car, so I just installed that one in the X3, but I'm still kind of annoyed at Nuna or BMW. Whoever's fault it is!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post

I'm 5'8" shes like 5'2"

Go get your M40i man. You won't regret it. The X3 is actually larger than I thought. There is plenty of space for my 13 and 9 year old (both are big, the 13 year old is 5'8") in the back seat. Or for the 9 year old when the big guy sits up front. Baby seat in the back shouldn't be a problem. Plus, you're going to have a kid that loves speed. Can't beat that.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #21
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

We have had 2 X3s in the family since my daughter was 3. So unable to talk about rear facing seats.

She is in a front facing car seat. There is plenty of space for her and passengers.

The biggest plus compared to the 1 and 3 series is the height. It is so much easier getting her in and out when you dont have to bend down so far to get the car seat buckled. It sounds a small thing - but it is so much better.

Remember, your baby will be rear facing for 6 to 9months - siting forward in the X3 she / he will be able to see more and should keep them entertained.

In terms of boot space - more than enough space for buggies / baby changing stuff etc.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:28 AM   #22
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hopefully this helps...picture of Recaro Monza Nova Stage 2/3 car seat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0