BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-23-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Drove my parent's X5 this weekend...

So in a few months I'm going to be purchasing a BMW SAV. The question is which one.

For a while now I've wanted a Diesel Luxury Line X5 with the optional 20" wheels.

My parents have a 2017 3.5 S drive x5, and I drove it this weekend for the first time. My first impression is that it wasn't nearly quick enough. But I figure the torque of the turbo diesel should help solve that problem. I loved the space and one thing I really like (though i know to some its tacky and gimicky) is the strip of lighting around the interior at night.

But there are two things that have me pausing.

1. The X3 M40i is coming which should solve my power thirst. But its smaller. I don't have any kids yet but anticipate having at least one throughout my time with this vehicle. Some have said the X3's backseat is cramped, but I gotta assume I can comfortably fit a baby and all their crap in an X3.

We have an F80 M3, though its my wife's DD, and I have an S2000 so I got my 'fun car' bases covered... maybe the power of the X3 isn't really needed since I have other options to handle baby duty?

2. The next gen X5 is coming. This either means I should hold off and get a killer lease deal on the existing X5, or if the new one is that much nicer, maybe splurge a little on it?

Decisions decisions...

what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
So in a few months I'm going to be purchasing a BMW SAV. The question is which one. Decisions decisions... what do you guys think?
I'm attaching the spec sheets of the X3 and X5 (as I really didn't know the head-to-head details c/w the M40i). Unless you really need the shoulder room (which is abt 2.5" greater in the X5) and plan on carrying a lot of large items (cargo capacity is 7 cu ft seats up /14 cu ft seats down greater in the X5), the winner in my biased X3 mind is the X3 M40i.

The X3 surprisingly has 1.3" front and 0.8" rear greater headroom than the X5, almost identical legroom front and rear, weighs 500 lbs less, only 200 lbs less payload (910 vs 1110), accel 0-60 4.6s vs 6.1s, should have similar if not better fuel econ (TBD), and should be easier to handle in tight parking lots given its smaller exterior dimensions. We've often had 3 adults in our back seats on short hauls without issue. During a cross-country trip suspect three adults would appreciate the extra shoulder room in the X5.

Verdict - X3 M40i
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
JSY578.00
      10-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
airbagit13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW x3

I have a 2 year old and a 6 year old and there is plenty of room for them in the back of my X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Decisions decisions... what do you guys think?
Since it sounds like you appreciate having a little gusto in your car, I'd think you'd be happier with the X3 over the X5. Better gas mileage, maneuverability, etc as well. Should be more than adequate size-wise for someone with younger children. I'd wait for the larger SUV till the kids got into middle school. Till then you really won't need the extra room in the back seat. Just need enough for the portable crib, etc for the road trips and the X3 should be plenty good for that. It wasn't till my kids got into stuff like Boy Scouts (6th grade) that I really needed the extra space of the larger SUV's since I often carried multiple kids and gear to camp outs, etc--I had a 2001 MDX back then. And the current crop of "midsize" SUV's is now about the same size as the larger ones of the 2000's.

Key factor is often, "who else would you carry along with a baby?" Since a car seat takes up quite a bit of room, it can make carrying your folks or inlaws along with a baby a bit tight. If that wouldn't happen that often, I'd stick with the midsize till you really need it. Also a lot cheaper!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
gongtowjai
I'll Kung Fu Panda your ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 XDrive

Get the X3 and upgrade to the X5 if need be...I'll probably need to move to SUV sometime in the future..
      10-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

I think everyone seems to be leaning towards x3... which is unsurprising since I posted this in the X3 group. But the points all make good sense.

I'm not too worried about carrying other people. I've always said to myself, drive your own car or don't bitch about where I put you. lol.

I'm thinking X3 short-term and X5 when the X3 lease is up, does make the most sense.

The size diagrams were a big help! So thanks for that. Its hard for me to wrap my head around how large even the 'small' SUVs have gotten. The X3 is actually larger than my 2002 Pathfinder. Nuts.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      10-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

I have a '15 X5 and two young teen kids. The X3 will be plenty big enough for one or two young children, no issue. Yes the light strip around the interior is nice, you can change the color of it as well. Like u said the X5 will be updated late next year, so you would be buying the last model year of the current model. The lease deals on '17 X5's were good, the '18 X5 leases were good but not as good as the '17, as u would expect. I'm going to wait for the new X3 and 640 Gran Turismo to hit showrooms next month or so and then make up my mind for my next car - my lease is up soon. Will be M40i, 640 GT, or '18 X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I have a '15 X5 and two young teen kids. The X3 will be plenty big enough for one or two young children, no issue. Yes the light strip around the interior is nice, you can change the color of it as well. Like u said the X5 will be updated late next year, so you would be buying the last model year of the current model. The lease deals on '17 X5's were good, the '18 X5 leases were good but not as good as the '17, as u would expect. I'm going to wait for the new X3 and 640 Gran Turismo to hit showrooms next month or so and then make up my mind for my next car - my lease is up soon. Will be M40i, 640 GT, or '18 X5.
Quite a range of options you have there. Same boat! I kinda forgot about the GT... still not a fan of it or the 5GT that preceded it personally.

If they'd just bring over a 550i Wagon (proper wagon), this would be game over end of story. lol

Last edited by starbai; 10-23-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

If fun is up there the X3 M40i is the ticket, space is enough for smaller kids. However ride quality on the X5 was nicer than X3 if that’s important, new X3 ride quality sounds promising.

Last edited by Bimar; 10-24-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I'm in a similar position. I have a 2015 X5. The lease is up in 9 days. I have to make a decision about whether to size "down" to a new X3 or buy out my car and wait a year for the new X5s to come out. I have two middle school age kids and a decent size dog (not to mention a wife I need to put somewhere :-) ). For most things, I think the X3 would be perfectly fine but longer trips with lots luggage, it might be an issue. I had an X3 10 years ago, and it was fine but there are a lot of things I appreciate about the size and comfort of the X5.

I'm hoping the X3 will hit the showroom by the end of next week (what my dealership thinks, anyway) and I can gauge the X3 in person. I'm leaning pretty heavily toward buying out the X5 for now, but that X3 is stunning and it might be hard to pass up.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #11
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
If fun is up there the X3 M40i is the ticket, space is enough for smaller kids. However ride quality on the X5 was nicer than X3 if that’s important, new X3 ride quality sounds promising.
Yea I'm used to bouncing around in a slightly lowered S2000 for a DD... anything the X3 can do will be an improvement lol.

Performance is a priority for now at least. I'd really liek to just go look at an X3 and get a feel for the size myself. If its even remotely adequate I think it'll be my choice. X5 maybe after the X3 some day.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Tion - If you're worried about running short on time all you have to do is call BMW Financial Services tell them you're waiting to see and drive the new X3 and they'll extend your lease, no order number for a new car required. I did that and was given a 3 month extension on my current X3 lease.
Appreciate 0